heating for new enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelaP

Reaction score
hi guys, I've just built a viv for my 4yo murray darling python, which is 1200 x 1200 x 600, but I'm just after some advice, should I install a heat lamp or use a heat mat for him, I know they don't require uv lighting either so does this mean I can just use a normal light bulb, also I was wondering on a substrate.... can I use bark or leaf litter or soil or should I just use breeders choice cat litter like most everyone else? also can i grow plants in the enclosure with him? just wondering what everyone else does and what is ok for them and what isn't, just trying to keep his environment as natural as possible, any information or ideas would be helpful

He is living in a box, so its not the most natural anyway.
Your snake was born in captivity, so he doesnt know what natural is either.

Make it functional and easy to clean rather than "natural" would be my advice.
Trying to be too natural is difficult to maintain.

Soil is a poor choice, its difficult to clean and smells.
use cat litter, or some type of paper imo.

Your snake will be around for a lot of years, so you dont want to have to clean it every second day.

Real plants are difficult to grow because of the lack of sunlight and the heat dehydrates them. I would just decorate it with some nice branches to perch on. and just plastic plants. If you want to create a real effect use branches and make or buy a fake rock background.

Id go for a non light emmiting heat source rather than a bulb. Bulbs are annoying goin on and off all the time, plus you dont have a day/night cycle for the snake.
Either a ceramic heat lamp with a thermostat and a cage over it or a heat mat with a thermostat.

Hope that helps..:D

Last edited:
Gday,

I am extremely new to this, don't even have my python yet, (so take everything with a grain of salt) but have been doing a LOT of research over the past week.

seems that a lot of people on here are against natural vivariums, because of the "too hard" aspect, or setup or space costs or whatever. Doesn't seem to be a real downside, as long as you are willing to make the extra effort and do your research.

I have detailed the planning of my build in this thread http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps-42/a-grand-design-of-vivariums-129442 and will be keeping it updated as the build progresses.

have found a LOT of useful links, however one of the best ones I just stumbled upon, this is a how to guide building a natural vivarium for frogs, but it should suit for snakes also, as they are less delicate than amphibians.

my method of building fake / faux rocks - Vivarium Forums

hope this reply helps, like I said I am still in the research stage. Highly recommend you do your own research, both on this forum and independently.

Cheers,
Daniel

Ive had frogs for a while and their set ups and requirements are very different to snakes imo. (depending on your species ofcourse)

Frogs require much more humidity to absorb the moisture and you can grow plants in that humidity. Most also require UV(which you said your are not using), which your plants also require to grow. Therfore a natural set up with living plants is much easier to achieve with frogs.

If you had the same humidity for your snake it could develop scale rot or a respiratory infection.

Im sure it can be done with the correct plant choice and some natural light entering your snake enclosure though. With my frogs i had a few different plants that i would rotate in and out of their enclosure every couple of weeks so they stayed healthy. You could try that?

Goodluck..:)

Plants are bacteria breeding grounds

Just go with the plastic ones as there is some really nice looking ones and they dont have all the problems that go with it

i fully agree, aesthetics would be more for your benefit than the snakes, functionality and hygiene is far more important. like hallie said your snake may be around for a long time and cleaning does become a chore so keep it simple. good luck...

Id go for a non light emitting heat source rather than a bulb. Bulbs are annoying going on and off all the time, plus you dont have a day/night cycle for the snake.
Either a ceramic heat lamp with a thermostat and a cage over it or a heat mat with a thermostat.
Hope that helps..:D

Sorry, thought i'd bump this back up as i have a similar question and i didnt want to start a new thread.

Anyway, ive been using Phillips "Partytone" coloured (red or blue) bulbs (PARTYTONE 80W E27 240V PAR38 BL 1CT) and have them on a 12 hour day cycle with a uv bulb.
Im wondering if i should change to a heat emitter and have it on all the time while only having the uv on a 12 hour day cycle.
What are your opinions and why? Also, i live in Adelaide and my enclosure is 4x2x2 and is in a garage if that makes any difference.

i normally would suggest breeders choice, but i have recently changed all my enclosures to just newspaper. although the breeders choice is easy to clean, it does take alot of moisture out of the air, which i have found effects a couple of my snakes shedding correctly. and i use heat globes for my MD aswell, but a heat mat would also be fine. i also use UV for all my pythons, even though u dont need them i like to give them a day/night cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back