Breeding "pairs"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox.n.Lix

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm still fairly new to this caper and am not interested in getting into breeding, but cant help but notice all these "pairs" advertised, that seem like they are brother and sister. have i misinterpreted this? or is that how people do it?
isnt that just wrong? wont there be genetic problems down the track?

please dont flame me for being ignorant. i have had someone brush off my inbreeding questions before, i dont think its a silly question to ask?

Last edited:
A lot of people do this for line breeding of certain traits (eg striping, albinism etc). I don't know what effect, if any at all, this has on the animals in that line, someone experienced & knowledgable on such things would need to respond.

Personally my pairs were chosen as unrelated*, but that's a personal preference, & I'm not looking to line breed, so it's not an issue for me.

*EDIT: My Bredli pair are from the same supplier, & of the same line (O'Grady). Their feed cards indicated they had different parents, however without delving further into their ancestory, I can't be 100% sure they aren't related in some way by a common ancentor from a previous generation.

Last edited:
Reptiles do not suffer from inbreeding depression like mammals do. Someone in the US has done something like 9 generations of sib to sib with no signs of problems.
As Tonks said linebreeding which is usually mother to son or father to daughter is a good way to enhance certain traits such as colour.

Several people have bred 10+ generations of snakes in Australia too, most notably Bob Whitey with his Blonde Spotted Pythons.

I like to look at it like this.
Think of isolated areas like the Galapogas Islands. Where reptile life is prominant. Surely, over the vast years they have been there, inbreeding has occured. And in the case of mainland reptiles like beardies, i wouldn't think a clutch would travel far enough after hatching to never meet up again during breeding season.
I believe this is another reason for locale species. the reptiles which continuously strengthen there changing genetics by doing this survive best.

how interesting. i have done a bit more reading on it now, and i guess its just hard to get accept the notion, when its so obviously wrong in so many other animals. just the idea of dad doing his daughter has a knee jerk "sicko" reaction. LOL
but i can see now how it would happen in the wild. thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back