What would you do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddlefish

Not so new Member
Reaction score
OK..
First of all, if you are one of those people that lurk this forum n hate cats, insisting every time one is mentioned that they should be shot or killed or something..no offence but if thats your advice, its not wanted.

Now the problem itself
for the last year we have had this cat come around to our place, first off just hanging in the garage n out in the yard at night time, then it started coming up the stairs n meowing at our door, then it started getting into fights with my cat...Few months ago i woke up to my cat carryin on in the lougeroom, went out to find this other cat had climbed its way through the window n was eating our cats food. I did something i never do n kicked said cat n the butt n chased it down the road.. So we didnt see him for a month or so... But he has slowly started coming back again. meowing at the door,etc etc etc. Today this cat cost us $230 in vet bills because it had bitten one of our cats 2 nights ago n it had become infected.. he now has a bucket on his head n a tube along his bottom:(.
This other cat does not have a collar, we do not know who, if anyone it belongs to, and the only time we do see it is at night time where we cant exactly take it to the rspca. Our only option is to fork out for a cat carry cage.. catch said cat at night.. put it in said box outside for the night n take it to the rspca next morning. But seen as 1. I dont want to put the cat in a box on the varanda for the night listening to it meow n throw itself around or 2. PAY for a cat box for a cat that just cost us $230.

im short on ideas

Call your local council, some of them loan traps out to residents for feral or homeless cats. Depends on the council though, others will hire the traps out for little cost too. Better to hire one than to have more injuries to your cats I would think, it would be cheaper in long term costs if the cat keep attacking yours

OK..
First of all, if you are one of those people that lurk this forum n hate cats, insisting every time one is mentioned that they should be shot or killed or something..no offence but if thats your advice, its not wanted.

Now the problem itself
for the last year we have had this cat come around to our place, first off just hanging in the garage n out in the yard at night time, then it started coming up the stairs n meowing at our door, then it started getting into fights with my cat...Few months ago i woke up to my cat carryin on in the lougeroom, went out to find this other cat had climbed its way through the window n was eating our cats food. I did something i never do n kicked said cat n the butt n chased it down the road.. So we didnt see him for a month or so... But he has slowly started coming back again. meowing at the door,etc etc etc. Today this cat cost us $230 in vet bills because it had bitten one of our cats 2 nights ago n it had become infected.. he now has a bucket on his head n a tube along his bottom:(.
This other cat does not have a collar, we do not know who, if anyone it belongs to, and the only time we do see it is at night time where we cant exactly take it to the rspca. Our only option is to fork out for a cat carry cage.. catch said cat at night.. put it in said box outside for the night n take it to the rspca next morning. But seen as 1. I dont want to put the cat in a box on the varanda for the night listening to it meow n throw itself around or 2. PAY for a cat box for a cat that just cost us $230.

im short on ideas

Well the cat just wants to live and find a home..... so keep that cat or RSPCA the latter will prob kill that cat , but its all up to you.

Well the cat just wants to live and find a home..... so keep that cat or RSPCA the latter will prob kill that cat , but its all up to you.
umnn ill just point something out to you
The problem is this cat is fighting with our cats
why on earth would we think about keeping a cat that just cost us $230 in vet bills for attacking our other cats?
If it has to be destroyed as much as the thought makes me sad,unless someone offers to come, catch it, n keep it, thats the way it has to be im afraid .
My cats are more important to me then a stray.. or more to the point i dont think its a stay being its fat and friendly with humans.. (I can pick it up) i believe it has an irresponsible owner. who clearly needs a kick up the rear end.

we had the same problem, only we had 7 vet bills adding up over 1k,

umnn ill just point something out to you
The problem is this cat is fighting with our cats
why on earth would we think about keeping a cat that just cost us $230 in vet bills for attacking our other cats?
If it has to be destroyed as much as the thought makes me sad,unless someone offers to come, catch it, n keep it, thats the way it has to be im afraid .
My cats are more important to me then a stray.. or more to the point i dont think its a stay being its fat and friendly with humans.. (I can pick it up) i believe it has an irresponsible owner. who clearly needs a kick up the rear end.

if something happend to you then your cats would become strays...a reptile forum is not the place to talk about cats.
you have made your own mind up it seems.. kill that cat. end of the story.
You seem to just be wanting someone to come and remove the cat?

Everything deserves to live.

It wont get put down right away, itll have a home at the rspca for a little while
No idea about the cats, but the dogs get adopted pretty quickly

i would opinion you don't want because your perfectaly withing your rights to opinion you dont want the said cat as long as it is done humanly the rspca will do the same thing anyway seeing as it sounds like a feral

if something happend to you then your cats would become strays...a reptile forum is not the place to talk about cats.
you have made your own mind up it seems.. kill that cat. end of the story.
You seem to just be wanting someone to come and remove the cat?

Everything deserves to live.

:rolleyes:
1.If something happened to me my cats wouldn't become strays thank you. I have family that would be more than willing to take care of them.
2. I love cats, clearly. I have 2.
3. By stating, and i quote myself
I do not want to kill said cat.. read the post.
3. Yes this is a 'reptile' forum.. please take note that i posted this in the 'Other Animals' section of this forum, which from what i gather is a section in this forum to talk about 'other' animals, including cats...

Call your local council, some of them loan traps out to residents for feral or homeless cats. Depends on the council though, others will hire the traps out for little cost too. Better to hire one than to have more injuries to your cats I would think, it would be cheaper in long term costs if the cat keep attacking yours
THIS is useful information. I did not know i could rent/ get traps for cats off my council which would be ideal in letting me catch said cat n remove said cat with out killing or costing me more money.
your information is useless n nitpicky.

Last edited by a moderator:
meow!
well I don't hate cats! If I did I would feed them to my olives and scrubys and not rabbits!...
Buy a cat trap and take it to the RSPCA!
I don't "lurk" and I don't "hate cats" :)

Honestly, despite you not wanting to hear it, the best option for all parties involved is if the cat is destroyed. If you send it for "re-homing" it will probably end up been euthanised after been kept in a cage for a few weeks.

Euthanasia is not cruel - nobody wants to be responsible for the animal in question, which is detrimental to its well being.

take it to the pound. if it gets put down, then it wasnt meant to be, if it gets a new home, then it was meant to be. the cycle of life is cruel but fair.

I thought it was going to become a new policy that any flaming posts would be deleted and the people warned?

Anyway.. it may be that said problem cat is microchipped.. though unlikely :( it could just be an irresponsible owner who lets their cat out at night as you said.. really dislike those kinds of people, ruin a perfectly good animal lol

Ive found any number of stray/lost dogs who werent wearing collars and taken them to my local vet, who have always been happy to accept an explanation of "Hey I was just on my way to work, I found this little guy wandering around on the street. I noticed he doesnt have a collar but I think he lives locally. I really have to run now but I'll try check in this afternoon to make sure he's okay". They never asked for personal details or for money, just took me as a 'good samaratian'.

I understand your concern over having to buy a cat cage, which I agree sounds crazy.. I didnt go buy a leash to take those dogs to the vet, just a handful of ruff. Granted cats arent as easy to lead.. Maybe catch it one night and put it in a closed off area of the house, say a laundry or a bathroom? Even a shower works well if you put a cardboard box in there with some very old towels and a bit of food (shower means tiles, and tiles mean no scratching up the walls) then take it in to the local vet in the morning.. Maybe tell them you heard the 'poor thing crying last night and you think it might not be well' you were worried about it but dont have time to look for the owner? If it lives locally then you "hope the owner will come looking for it there first"

I guess its worth a try :(

I thought it was going to become a new policy that any flaming posts would be deleted and the people warned?
I think that was mainly for flaming in the herp help forum, although being rude and insulting someone in any forum is not tolerated

I also don't agree with killing animals needlessly, but I believe that if there is no other choice except roaming and foraging, being exposed to cruelty, starvation and disease. Euthanasia is a better option for the animal no matter what the species. We are overun with kittens at this time of year and unfortunately many are put down, this is the same with puppies and dogs. The post Christmas cuteness has gone and now they are just a nuisance.
This cat deserves to be caught and either rehomed by the local animal welfare or euthanised humanely by a vet. This way he can't be hurt.
I am a cat lover, I have 3 indoor cats who do not hunt. What I said was not because I dislike them, it's because I hate seeing animals roaming like that

Maybe as was suggested in another thread about excess reptiles, If this other cat is excess to your needs you could just pop it in the freezer?? ;)

spend $30, get a cat cage.
catch it, stick it in the laundry with a towel over it, & take it to the rspca in the morning.

sell cat cage when you're done.
solved.

nothing has to die, it might be someones pet.

most rspcas are open 24/7 if its friendly they usually find homes especially if its cute

lock your cats inside for a few days. spray SCRAM or a similar product everywhere outside everyday. it may deter the cat.

i used SCRAM to stop them digging up my vegie patch and crapping in it a few years ago and they havent gone back since.

goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back