Bird harassing my blueys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jewfish1

Reaction score
I have blueys in an outdoor cage which is about a metre above ground, half enclosed and half exposed to the elements.

Having a problem with indian myna birds (the brown vermin with the yellow beak) constatly harassing my lizards from above and around the cage.

As soon as I leave the vicinity of the cage, the birds, sometimes as many as 6 land on the cage and screech to high heaven as they know the blueys are there but they can't get to them. These birds are very persistent and never give up. Its becoming a daily event and as you can imagine I'm getting fed up with them.

I should mention the blueys are always safe but very scared.

Does anyone have any legal tips / suggestions as to how I could deter / alleviate this menace from the cage area..

Thanks

Wack a couple of humane rat traps in there or go to the council an theyl pint you in the right direction to get onea those fancy minerbird traps,then once youv caught the miners freez em for a bit [6 weeks] then feed em to your blueies.good luck.

I hate those things. When I was young bloke I used to knock em off with an air rifle, but I'm not too sure what the legalities of that are these days (I'm talking 25+yrs ago).
I am loathe to suggest bird netting as it can entangle other things like native birds or reptiles, however may be a last resort consideration.
As ugly & rubbish as those things (mynahs) are, they aren't stupid & may end up moving on once they realise there's just no way in.

In terms of legal tips as long as you kill them in a "humane" way it's all good. Are you any good with a sling shot?

Traps on top of the cage sounds like an idea as I never see other birds on top of the cage.

Used to have a slug gun but they're not legal any more. Regarded as a firearm thesedays.

One of the blueys was sunning itself near the cage edge this afternoon in the exposed part of the cage and one of the birds was trying to peck him in mid air from the side of the cage. The cage has 12mm mesh so the lizard was safe but he bolted. Never seen him move so fast. I guess his natural defence kicked in.

Thanks for your thoughts

Maybe check out youtube and find out how to make a bird trap.

Put some dog food in there( the mongrels love it)

Then "humanely" destroy them however you like.;)

here in the ACT u can hire the traps and then take the birds to your local pound for them to put to sleep

Maybe check out youtube and find out how to make a bird trap.

Put some dog food in there( the mongrels love it)

Then "humanely" destroy them however you like.;)

snakes love them but make sure you freeze them for a week first

Fake snakes all ways kept birds away from my mums garden! untill a kookaburra came along and took off with one so we then nailed them down!

Like the trap idea. Will get in touch with council and see if they can help.

Also like the fake snake idea. A large one maybe.

Notice the term "humane" used quite a bit.

How does a person eradicate vermin "humanely".

Examples?

Fuscus: Thanks. Think you answered my question in you post.

I'll check if the council can eradicate for me. Not something I would enjoy doing

Ive read some councils allow gassing and cervical dislocation..

I use the neck stretch method. Quick and painless..

A compund bow is the best solution, just learn to shoot it and get some 'turkey' heads from the US. An airgun or .22 loaded with zeds would be better if its a legal option where you live.

Or just wait for some wedgies or other raptors to show up, they will eat the mynas and your lizards.

I had one fly down my chimney and got some quick advice on how to break a bird's neck. Basically it's a pulling while twisting action. Just don't pull to hard I hear it's quite a mess if you happen to rip the head off.

Contacted my councils environmental officer today and he informed me my council has just this month started taking steps to implement an Indian myna bird eradication plan. Seems like they are way behind some other councils. A long way to go. One positive note is that they expect some sort of plan to be in full swing by the end of this year.

All the traps they had (about 6) have already been given out to residents on a trial basis. About 100 birds have been eradicated so far.

He gave me a web address: www.indianmynaaction.org.au which gives instructions on how to make a trap..

In terms of killing any captured myna birds humanely, he said in our area CO2 gassing is the only choice. Only a vet can break their necks by law.

Looks like I'll be making a trap so my lizards can live in peace.

Thanks to all of you for your comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back