chillagoe

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gus11

Reaction score
This weekend i was invited caving in Chillagoe, about 2 hours west of cairns. thought it would be fun and of course there was the chance for some new herps.
on the way north we had to release this 3m carpet python
DSC_2060.jpg

unfortunately the car broke down on the palmeston, so it took us 2 hours to crawl up the palmeston to milla milla before we were rescued and taken to chillagoe.
It was a beautiful place.
Chillagoe.jpg

and the weather was perfect for herping,
DSC_2277.jpg

but due to car issues we couldnt go for a night drive so had a quick search around chillagoe itself.
i dont know what this frog is....thoughts?
DSC_2062.jpg

we also managed to find nactus cheverti
DSC_2258.jpg

and the highlight of the trip, ring tailed geckoes
DSC_2433.jpg

DSC_2442.jpg

gehyra dubia
DSC_2454.jpg

litoria rubella were everywhere
DSC_2402.jpg

and ornate burrowing frogs were present
DSC_2475.jpg

the caving was also incredible, few animals found in the caves other than bats but it was good fun, although a little scary climbing through some of those holes.
DSC_2118.jpg

the lions head
DSC_2161.jpg

DSC_2572.jpg

eulamprus sp.
DSC_2567.jpg

We had to stay in cairns whilst the car was fixed, so watched shore birds in the morning before heading off to show my friends some herps they wanted to see
prickly forest skinks
DSC_2896.jpg

DSC_2915.jpg

which have prickly skin
DSC_2903.jpg

and a skink that had previously evaded me, though this was the best i could get without disturbing it
eulamprus tigrinus
DSC_2925.jpg

we also found this strange little aphid type things...i dont know what they are
DSC_2936.jpg

Some excellent pics there, wicked lightning shot !
I think your mystery frog is Litoria Nasuta ( striped rocket frog)

cheers HK.

Thanks for sharing, great pics!
Cheers
Adam

I have been to the caves there ,and found out I dont like being in dark cavey places ;)
anyway it was great overall ..my kids loved it especially leaving me in the dark on my own, knowing I knew that there are big bloody SPIDERS in there ....anyway that was years ago ...
great pics too ...;)

Wow, looks like quite a stunning place to have visited, pics are fantastic :D

Just thought I'd add a panorama of the area southeast of Chillagoe. I took this while Gus was busy getting his excellent lightning photo. During most of the year the Chillagoe area is very dry and brown. During the wet season it turns a beautiful green due to the large amount of rainfall. The steep hills in this photo are towers of limestone karst. Unfortunately my herp photos aren't nearly as good a quality as Gus' so I'll just leave it at this panorama.

4342481289_f3958652bb_b.jpg

Stephen

The unknown frog looks like it is just Limnodynastes peronii (striped marsh frog)

Great spot spent 2 weeks in the caves an hour or two north of chillagoe crawled through a tiny hole across from an old grave site. Half way in with nowhere to go came face to face with a large snake scared 10 years off my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back