Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tsar,

You did not answer my question....What have YOU published?

You rant and rave and when it comes down to it you spit out nothing actually relevant, or its so hard to read with the amount punctual and spelling errors....(I am literally struggling to follow your rants).

I call Troll

Cheers,
Scott

You, are not worth talking to.

GTS have no venom,I read it on the interwebthingy so it must be true..

Just type dendrelaphis punctulata + venom into google and use the link 5 places down.Quote "When threatened, the snake inflates its head and fore-body and produces an unpleasant scent and may bite, however it has no fangs or venom and is relatively harmless to humans."

The fact that they have enlarged rear teeth (compared to the rest of their teeth) which also happen to be grooved, as well as a venom gland is irrelevant.

Now where is that sarcastic smiley when I need it?

Well that just makes it harder now, trying to convince people to allow the GTS, to remain in their garden now dont it ..................... ;)

Well that just makes it harder now, trying to convince people to allow the GTS, to remain in their garden now dont it ..................... ;)

Killers in the tree's!!! may as well be a Boomslang and make you bleed from all orifaces, start up the rumor mill, where on a winner here!

Personally, I only call snakes venomous if you have to go to hospital ;) or at least are forced to spend a few days in bed.

Just to throw some more wood on the fire if i'm not mistaken Aspidites(Woma's and Blackheaded pythons) have also been found to have venom glands. Hey and here's some petrol for the fire, Bearded dragons also have venom glands according to Dr Fry's findings. (Somebody correct me if i'm wrong as i've posted this going on memory only and my memory capacity is smaller than a womas venom glands)

I, with a bunch of other VHS members, saw a lecture by Dr Fry on venom origins. You are correct in regards to bearded dragons and a surprisingly a host of other unsuspicious reptiles.

One of the reasons behind these findings was the use of big dollar MRI scanning equipment. They scanned through a considerable amount of animals and found many of the so-called harmless species of reptile actually had, at one stage, a capacity to deliver venom. Some of these animals still had the capity of producing the venom, but not an effective delivery.

It was one of the most informative and facinating lectures I've ever been to!

As per link below:Dr Fry says it was thought toxic bacteria in the mouths of monitor lizards, such as the Komodo Dragon, gave them the ability to kill their prey. He and his colleagues have proved this is not the case – the lizards use venom.

Using new DNA sequence data, the researchers found nine venom toxin types that were shared between lizards and snakes. Seven of these were previously only known from snake venoms, including one that had only previously been reported in rattlesnake venom but was sequenced by the team from the Bearded Dragon, one of the most popular pet lizards in the world.

Some of the toxins had potent systemic effects, such as hypotension leading to rapid loss of consciousness or coagulation disorders which can result in prolonged bleeding.

Goanna venom rocks the reptile record : News : The University of Melbourne

Until I actually did a "little bit" of digging on the subject of GTS's, I had no idea they produced venom. This thread is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.

That's done it for me Moose, from now on i'm using tongs on my beardies Lol.
It is odd that it is taking so long for these findings to become common knowledge in the herp hobby. Possibly because so many people are more interested in the cuddly pet and pretty colours side of the hobby and have little interest in expanding their knowledge base of species they claim to be passionate about.

Tongs on your beardies, tongs are killers................remember a herpetological ICON said so. :lol:
Should remove the green tree snakes and bearded dragons venom glands (replace with silicone) Then they are safe.:shock::D

Green tree snake ARE venomous especially the blue phase ones so you better give them all to me to look after.

i must say this is a very interesting thread. i was always under the assumption that GTS were completely non-venomous. thanks to all who had an input, this thread has increased my knowledge.

Guys, it's important to remember that they are of absolutely no medical significance to humans. They are technically venomous, but still totally harmless.

Killers in the tree's!!! may as well be a Boomslang and make you bleed from all orifaces, start up the rumor mill, where on a winner here!

Personally, I only call snakes venomous if you have to go to hospital ;) or at least are forced to spend a few days in bed.

My snake used to keep me in bed for days when I was a lot younger... but I always recovered.

Seriously, I'm sure there's heaps of work to be done on all this stuff. I've often noticed that python bites bleed and produce subcutaneous bruising far more than the actual injury would indicate, and for the size of the actual puncture wounds. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an anticoagulant of some sort in python saliva.

AS for GTSs, I've rescued heaps from houses in the past 5 years, (2 in the past week), and not one of them has ever attempted to bite me.

Jamie.

You, are not worth talking to.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: hahahaahahah, YOU SAID IT FOR ME, thanks:lol:

so mister highly qualified sceintist that has disected and researched a class of animal and specific species for many a year now. did you know that snakes are also split into to venom types????

Hemotoxic which effects blood and organs then Neurotoxic like the green tree snake that you are saying does not contain any form of this venom???:rolleyes:

i don't have my book with me atm but when i get home i will look for it and break it down for you...

now if you look at the scull of the green tree snake you will find a rear fang that is conected to a venom gland which you wont see on a scull as it is bone only, no tissue. argue that with me if you wish.
a green tree snake is in fact VENOMOUS.... (shock horror)... just because it is not potent enough to effect us physically or medically does not mean they are not venomous at all. they are just regarded as VENOMOUS BUT NOT HARMFULL.

i've been bit well and proper (chewed upon) by GTS's and BTS's with no ill effects, but that doesn't make them non venomous to me, i've also been bit a DEATH ADDER (not a dry bite) which is highly neurotoxic and was effect medically through blood test etc. but was completely asymptoimatic, not effected physically or visibly if you are unsure of what that means. but i don't go saying there somewhat venomous.... just remember you are a simple keeper that reads internet content so therefore you know just as much asa most others without alot of experience... i learn my own way to but will always take the word of someone that researches something professionaly into fair consideration, and raise a question if its seems off...

also you said earlier they don't make you bleed, are they babies or somthing cos they've always got blood out of me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back