Diamond Python Query

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithral

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Di and I don't keep snakes inside, but I'm happy to announce that I do have snakes on my property. About six years ago I put a log on my front deck and a baby diamond python came out of it and was sleeping in the sun. I just had to pick it up. I'm not used to handling snakes and it bit my knuckle, much to my surprise. We put the log back and never saw him again. I'm wondering if my little friend has grown.
I keep my cats in an enclosure. About four weeks ago, we were walking our cats and one pulled up very suddenly. On investigation, it was a complete diamond python skin -still moist. The next morning, the cats were very jumpy and kept looking onto the back deck (the house is off the ground), on investigation, nothing was found. The cats were jumpy all morning while I was cleaning the house. In the afternoon I brought the front door mat in (the cats had been jumping in the air each time they went through the door way where the mat usually lays). I had grit on my feet so I stepped onto the mat to wipe it off and the mat was SQUISHY and soft. Yes, I had brought the snake into the house. On checking, the snake was very quiet and calm. I had to relocate the snake in the mat outside until I could compose myself long enough to take some photos You see I was in fits of laughter at the whole business (cats NOT amused)!

Anyway to the query: This is about a month later and my cats are still incredibly jumpy all the time. My cat enclosure under the house is cosy and dry with plants in it and lots of straw. The cats won't go in it and when they are outside of the enclosure, they look in, searching...
Could the snake be in the enclosure, under the straw hatching young?
And how do I find out if it is in there?
Do I follow the aboriginal's lead and use a long thin stick to probe gently in the straw?
I've had cats all my life and I know that if they are acting up, you have to take notice.
I have never seen anything like this before.
I'm becoming convinced that the snake is still about.
Can you help?

I will have to add photos when I find out how - cheers.

how big is it?

and i would guess it is under there.
everything a snake would need warmth cover and if the cats wont go in there well i would say

id just jump in and start looking.

if its a big diamond i would use a stick if its only little id search by hand

you could remove everything from the enclosure and have a look

good luck

i dont know what happened to my letters

thats a wiked story ey, like think about it, i recon its hell cool, found a diamond hatchling (or youngin) and held it and put it back, and the snake then knew it was a safe place, so it descided to go back :D, i say you have a good friend there ;), but yea id say at a good guess he is under there, if he is would u keep him there? or get him out for the cats or somthing?, id keep him ;)

I'll leave the snake alone to live as it pleases.
But I'm a bit worried about my cats, their reaction tells me they know they are in danger
- I think it's big enough to make my cats a tasty meal.
That's what I'm worried about
- has the snake turned my cat enclosure into a snake enclosure?

No luck with photos yet.

i would say the best way to deal with this is to get a snake catcher
he/she will catch it and release it somewhere it is safe and where and away from your pets and keep them safe.

I want both.
We love all of the animals etc that live and visit here and want to share the area with them.
I wouldn't want to relocate the snake, I'd keep the cats out until it has moved on.
As the snake has easy access to the enclosure, it can return any time it likes for a take away meal.
I'll have to keep the cats out of the enclosure to keep them safe and any babies safe if that we were lucky enough for that to happen.

Chances are, you have more than one diamond around your house. You may find one or two in the attic during winter, but while it's hot, diamonds will be underneath the house.

I also believe that your cat enclosure is attracting diamonds. The sweet scent of feline with be very hard for a diamond to knock back.

maybe it came to your house because it feels safe there, as you have history, so id say he/she has turned ya cat enclosure into a python inclosure :p, id leave her there if your fine with pythons and kinda be wild/pet python :).

Chances are, you have more than one diamond around your house. You may find one or two in the attic during winter, but while it's hot, diamonds will be underneath the house.

I also believe that your cat enclosure is attracting diamonds. The sweet scent of feline with be very hard for a diamond to knock back.
that is also very true, i agree. could just be passing threw, or have multiple, somthing only you can really tell.

Mithral - If you have baby Diamonds in the area it is safe to assume you have adult Diamonds in the area. Definately glad to hear that you consider yourself lucky...

If you don't feel comfortable checking for yourself get a snake catcher in to have a look through your cat enclosure. I am not sure on the construction of your cat enclosure but if you were to pick up some fine gauge mesh/wire you could snake proof it without too much difficulty once it was checked.

...and as you no doubt are aware cats have no difficulty in dealing with smaller wildlife...so I would be looking for something of some respectable size...

We look forward to some photos when you find it...

Diamonds generally breed around September, lay eggs around December and the eggs hatch around January/February. If you think there may be eggs in your cat enclosure (this would surprise me, they would usually choose a quiet place to coil around their eggs for 50+ days) perhaps keep your cats indoors (if thats an option) for the next month. By then you will know if there is baby Diamonds. Then, as Aslan said, do a clean out of the cat enclosure & construct it with finer mesh to keep larger snakes out.

Good luck,
Andrew

Cat enclosure visitor

I got a pole and my partner and I went through the enclosure gently to see if we could turn up anything but, bearing in mind that there are lots of plants in it and the enclosure is very large, we could have missed it.
After we went looking, the cats seemed a lot happier, so
i don't know if the snake left or they thought we made it safe for them.
I have pictures that I thought I put on the gallery but I cant find them.I had been looking at the photo of the snake and it looks large in the middle, what do you think.

Attachments

• P1010417.JPG
    P1010417.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back