hurt hatchy beardy, pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out with friends for dinner to help get my mind of things and just went to check on him as soon as i got home. He has been moving around, is alert and responded to me touching him gently so he is functioning and not showing signs of brain damage thankfully. I hand a quick look at him jaw and it seems to be almost perfectly straight. Going to leave him alone for a week now and hope hope hope that he's the little fighter i think he is. Actually, going to go get a pic now to show you what the jaw looks like. Oh and i did see him open and close his mouth a few times (you know, that 'om nom nom' sort of face they pull?) and it all looked to work alright. Oh God i hope so.

His (her?) name is MGee. As in 'eyebrows mgee', heh.

First two are from just after i re-arranged his jaw and rinsed off the worst of the blood/gore at around 5.30/6pm today. rest are from just 5 mins ago after he had rested for while, looks as though he has worked things back into place pretty well. note second pic, looks as though his left jawbone has come loose from the surrounding flesh? also, third pic looks as though the skin from the top eyelid on right eye has been lost, eyelid remains however (he can close his eye) what do you think?

Attachments

• end jan 2010 009.jpg
    end jan 2010 009.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 106
  • end jan 2010 012.jpg
    end jan 2010 012.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 107
  • end jan 2010 013.jpg
    end jan 2010 013.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 99
  • end jan 2010 015.jpg
    end jan 2010 015.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 100
  • end jan 2010 018.jpg
    end jan 2010 018.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 96
aww the poor little thing...it def looks a bit better now than the first pics

good luck n please keep us posted

this sounds a little new agey, but if you sre worried about using betadine try smearing honey, it has antiseptic properties. Either that or the more 'modern' bepanthen, we use it on mice and they lick it with no problems, hopefully it would work the same for beardies.

Good luck and keep us posted!

The updated photos are showing alot of improvement. JUST NEVER NEVER EVER give up when it pulls through it will be an amazing feeling.

IMO you should get it to a vet as he/she will stitch the bottom jaw to the top to aid in healing 'straight'. A friend of mines netted had her jaw broken in a freak accident and was much the same as yours and she had her stitched successfully and it healed in a little over 2 weeks from memory. she had to place droplets of vitamin water on her mouth for her to lick as she was incapable of eating obviously. Anyhow story short she perfectly fine now although has little gap at the front which seems to prevent her catching anything other than mealworms. With your little one although you seem to have done a good job realigning already it wont take much to knock it out again so IMO take it to a vet asap. Plus the vet can give her pain killers as that looks excrutiating.

looking good this morning. didnt expect the little dude to wake up but sure enough he looked up when he heard me coming. let me pick him up and just sat there watching me. his jaw looks even straighter than last pics show, so i guess we've through the worst now. its just up to him from now. went to the vet to get Hills SD for surgery recovery but locals were closed, no hurry though considering i wont be offering him food for the better part of the next week. glad he was as fat as a donkey before this happened, and i know he had a big drink the morning of the incident so i know hes got a few days of stores in his little body to help him through. thinking of changing his name to 'Crush' heh, kinda lame but hey, it'll suit his rugged new appearance if he pulls through!

this little dude is still with us, he's going to be okay i reckon :) he takes a little bit of liquified Hills AD with calcium in it, no interest in insects yet but the jaw seems to have fixed itself. havent got recent pics, but will take some next feed and post when i can :)

That's absolutely awesome news shooshoo! My partner and I never expected to hear a happy ending to THIS thread! Good to hear he was in such great shape before the injury. You can hold your head high knowing that you've saved a life. :) Keep up the great healing work; you know it'll be worth it. He's already looking heaps better. What a fighter hey! Please keep us updated...
Nic
ps. Crush is a great name, or maybe Tonka (Tonka Tough...)? Dunno, but I think he deserves a 'grittier' name than MGee, but that's just my opinion.

Crush it is! Would also like to say a great big THANK YOU to everyone that encouraged me to give him a chance and 1. fix his jaw 2. force feed him 3. the great advice! Because guess what...

I was feeding his brother (glass divider so they can still see each other) and little Crush was interested in the crickets. So i picked up a little one in my fingers and offered to him... HE ATE IT! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! My little dude is such a fighter :D Can honestly say that i never expected him to make it, i am so proud of him! Posting picks for you all tomorrow at feeding time :)

Crush it is! Would also like to say a great big THANK YOU to everyone that encouraged me to give him a chance and 1. fix his jaw 2. force feed him 3. the great advice! Because guess what...

I was feeding his brother (glass divider so they can still see each other) and little Crush was interested in the crickets. So i picked up a little one in my fingers and offered to him... HE ATE IT! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! My little dude is such a fighter :D Can honestly say that i never expected him to make it, i am so proud of him! Posting picks for you all tomorrow at feeding time :)

congrats shoo he wouldn't of made it if you hadn't of care so much about him

WOOHOO!!!! Go little Crush!!! What a champ; who would've thought he'd have made it this far looking at those first pictures when it first happened... Thank you so much for not giving up on him (or her). You have the healing touch by the looks of it... Congrats, well done, and thanks for sharing your story.
Nic

well done Shooshoo. First time i've seen this thread, and felt really sorry for him. gorey pics, poor thing. so great to hear he's doing so well. i had one of mine survive a cat attack a few weeks ago, so called him whiskers, lol

whiskers is a great name!

i am so chuffed with the little dude. he doesnt look perfect, of course, but i think it gives him character :) now to only upload some pics...

Attachments

• early feb 2010 026.jpg
    early feb 2010 026.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 110
  • mid feb 2010 073.jpg
    mid feb 2010 073.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 99
  • mid feb 2010 082.jpg
    mid feb 2010 082.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Naaawww hes so little and so cute shoo good on you for sticking by him. Glad to here he is ok.

whiskers is a great name!

i am so chuffed with the little dude. he doesnt look perfect, of course, but i think it gives him character :) now to only upload some pics...

And you gotta love character!!!!!! kind looks like a little mobster beardie with the way his lip hangs down a bit. maybe you should've called him Scarface, lol. Great work Shoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back