Herping Lighting Equipment??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bax155

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what all the die hard herpers are using for lights when herping?? When I see the good night time shots they seem to be lit like xmas, LED or Fluro? Spotlights or head lamps?? What lumens is best?? I live on 1600 acres and I'm keen to do some decent night time herping!!

Cheers,
Bax...

to produce this

Attachments

• Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Colubrids_BrownTreeSnake_17.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Colubrids_BrownTreeSnake_17.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Colubrids_BrownTreeSnake_06.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Colubrids_BrownTreeSnake_06.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_GoldenCrowned_35.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_GoldenCrowned_35.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Pythons_CarpetPythons_CoastalCarpetPython_18.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Pythons_CarpetPythons_CoastalCarpetPython_18.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Animals_Amphibians_Frogs_RedEyedGreenTreeFrog_18.jpg
    Animals_Amphibians_Frogs_RedEyedGreenTreeFrog_18.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 76
Hey Fuscus, perhaps you could comment. When focussing at night, does your macro ring flash light up when pressing half shutter (to auto focus) or do you have to use a seperate light source?

Hey Fuscus, perhaps you could comment. When focussing at night, does your macro ring flash light up when pressing half shutter (to auto focus) or do you have to use a seperate light source?
That is not a macro flash, it is just a fancy torch. When I see a victim - sorry Subject - I turn the torch on and use that to frame and focus the subject. It is effective to about 1.5 meters. Battery life leaves a bit to be desired, to use it properly you need it fully charged at all times.

Sunblitz Products (3 of 11)

Bax,
I interpreted the question as what kind of torches do we use?
I like to use the common old LED torch. The light is a lot softer and there are no rings of light (like what is produced with the old style torches). It allows you to focus your eyes everywhere that you are shining the light, but it is also soft enough that if you hear a movement elsewhere, you don't have to wait for your eyes to adjust to be able to see it. If you know what I mean?
I'm not sure of the actual torch that I use i'm sorry.

PS. Jealous of the 1600 acres btw ;)

Thats the info I'm after Jasspa, thought LED would do the trick, I think rechargable fluro tubes would be great too!
Cheers,
Bax...

Thanks Fuscus & Stevo2, I reckon for $140-$150 that would be money well spent. I thought from the original pic it was some new LED ring flash haha, still as your photos prove, Fuscus, it is quite a effective light source.

Check out a "led lenser" 1 use a p7 as a hand torch while walking and the x21 for spotting into the trees or from a vehicle. They are even better than on the internet or reviews they also have a good light for photos as they have no dark or bright spots. also i have a couple of the 20 dollar yellow rechargeable spotties from supercheap. They are suprisingly good as a back up from the car but are too heavy to hike with.
( For nerd value i use a head torch but only when i am deep in the bush and cannot be seen by anyone)

The torches are as dear as poison but if you are a tradie or are "creative" with your accountants you can claim them. But even if you cannot claim them they are still worth the cash.
High Performance Line - LED LENSER Optoelectronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back