Body Armour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just found out that you need the written approval of the Commissioner of Police to own or use a bullet proof vest.

I dislike that. I'd much prefer someone to get a vest to protect themselves than a rifle. Turns out it's easier to get a rifle.

Next time I'm threatened I'ma just get myself a gun then. You know what they say, the best defense is a good offense. I'm sure that'd pass as an excuse in court.

I'm kind of disgusted with this law. Everyone has the right to protect themselves, and as I said, I'd prefer someone to get a vest to protect themselves than a gun.

you get in more trouble having a bullet proof vest than a grenade launcher

Ned Kelly scared the ********* out of them

Yeah well ya grenade launchers, bullet proof vests and rifles wont help ya when i whip out my nunchucka's. I'm like the wind.

it's why i always practice the old skool method of 'double tap head shots'...

What exactly do you get up to to need this sort of protection?
Sitting in front of a computer on the APS forums and playing around with reptiles does not really warrant needing a bullet proof vest.......in my opinion.

Just found out that you need the written approval of the Commissioner of Police to own or use a bullet proof vest.

I dislike that. I'd much prefer someone to get a vest to protect themselves than a rifle. Turns out it's easier to get a rifle.

Next time I'm threatened I'ma just get myself a gun then. You know what they say, the best defense is a good offense. I'm sure that'd pass as an excuse in court.

I'm kind of disgusted with this law. Everyone has the right to protect themselves, and as I said, I'd prefer someone to get a vest to protect themselves than a gun.

you need new friends ,if your gettin threated with knives a bullet proof vest wont do anything if its guns then ahhh your roooted

If I didn't want to work in industries that require a clean criminal record, I'd love to go and get myself arrested for breaking all the dumbest laws in the country, in the hope of raising some awareness to the sheer stupidity of some of these legislated outrages...

In all seriousness, this one is just insane! Fair enough, put restrictions on guns, people kill people with guns... But permission to wear a protective vest? If you need it to stop police killing you, I'm pretty sure they have enough reasons to fine/arrest/kill you... and they will, fine/arrest/kill you... One vest ain't gonna stop Victorian police...

I think if you think you need a bullet proof vest/guns/knives to protect yourself you need to sit down and take a deep breath and have a look at why you might need body armour and alter your lifesytle to suit.

What exactly do you get up to to need this sort of protection?
Sitting in front of a computer on the APS forums and playing around with reptiles does not really warrant needing a bullet proof vest.......in my opinion.

Ouch.

I didn't say I need a bullet proof vest, I was just saying that I disagree with this.

Anyway, when I was going to school I couldn't walk home without getting yelled at by tools with knives, so I understand why people would want the extra protection of a vest.

I don't go out that much any more for that reason, need to get my license. Walking is dangerous haha.

Want to know some really bad. You can own a shoulder mounted rocket launcher. it isn't illegal until you place a rocket into it. Go figure???

That's nuts, I'm sure someone would be able to get their hands on some rockets if they really wanted to. That sucks.

If I didn't want to work in industries that require a clean criminal record, I'd love to go and get myself arrested for breaking all the dumbest laws in the country, in the hope of raising some awareness to the sheer stupidity of some of these legislated outrages...

In all seriousness, this one is just insane! Fair enough, put restrictions on guns, people kill people with guns... But permission to wear a protective vest? If you need it to stop police killing you, I'm pretty sure they have enough reasons to fine/arrest/kill you... and they will, fine/arrest/kill you... One vest ain't gonna stop Victorian police...

I kind of understand it, a bit. I mean, I'd hate for a murderer to get his hands on a vest while in a shootout with the police. But I suppose special forces could take him out easy.

I think if you think you need a bullet proof vest/guns/knives to protect yourself you need to sit down and take a deep breath and have a look at why you might need body armour and alter your lifesytle to suit.

The way people are these days, I really don't think it's that hard to be in a situation where you might need protection. Hell, last year I was threatened five or six times, most of it was because of how I look not how I act, not that I took the threats seriously, I just laughed it off. Until one of my friends was put in hospital because he threw his cap in the air and it hit a guy. It's not just me, the kids here will jump a random person walking past just for the hell of it, and I live in a small town. I can't imagine how bad it must be in the capitals.

I'm not saying I need protection, I live a quiet life. But I do understand why people would need protection and I think it's terrible that we're not allowed to have body armour as a safeguard.

Last edited:
Ouch.

I didn't say I need a bullet proof vest, I was just saying that I disagree with this.

Anyway, when I was going to school I couldn't walk home without getting yelled at by tools with knives, so I understand why people would want the extra protection of a vest.

I don't go out that much any more for that reason, need to get my license. Walking is dangerous haha.

a thick felt vest isnt illegal ;)

It just looks gay :lol:

A vest won't stop a knife ( as previously mentioned).

The point of the blade seperates the threads of the kevlar and slides on through and a decent blade will easily pierce a car door, bonnet etc with a good swing.
I seriously doubt it will stop a modern rifle projectile either, especially a poylmer tip. It would be effective against something like a .38, .44, 9mm etc as they are a rounded projectile (larger surface area for the vest to take impact means the threads are less likely to seperate).
It may even work against a 12 ga rifled slug though you'd feel like you've just been smashed in the ribs with a sledge hammer.
If you must own one just make your own vest from chainsaw chaps but better still, get a new hobby that gets you away from people that want to shoot you.

What good's a bullet proof vest if you get shot in the head :p

None, however, it is exceptionally helpful if you get shot in any other vital areas...which is far more likely as they take up considerably more space... ;)

Naledge - This is absurd...

...feel free to look into the 'Hollywood Shootout'...you will quickly discover WHY it is illegal for civilians to carry body armour...

...your comment regarding 'Special Forces' being able to deal with an offender in body armour is also absurd. Believe it or not, special weapons and tactics trained Police are NOT anywhere near the initial scene of most incidents, in fact, they generally respond MANY HOURS after an incident to assist the attending Police in high risk situations...

...what do you propose those attending Police do when confronted by a bullet-proof offender threatening them?

...and if you honestly think you would WEAR your body armour each day (which is obviously required to protect yourself from unexpected attacks :rolleyes:) you are are obviously unaware of the distinct lack of comfort and ventilation they provide...

...you should also consider that your level of paranoia probably suggests therapy may be a better option than body armour...

None, however, it is exceptionally helpful if you get shot in any other vital areas...which is far more likely as they take up considerably more space... ;)

Naledge - This is absurd...

...feel free to look into the 'Hollywood Shootout'...you will quickly discover WHY it is illegal for civilians to carry body armour...

...your comment regarding 'Special Forces' being able to deal with an offender in body armour is also absurd. Believe it or not, special weapons and tactics trained Police are NOT anywhere near the initial scene of most incidents, in fact, they generally respond MANY HOURS after an incident to assist the attending Police in high risk situations...

...what do you propose those attending Police do when confronted by a bullet-proof offender threatening them?

...and if you honestly think you would WEAR your body armour each day (which is obviously required to protect yourself from unexpected attacks :rolleyes:) you are are obviously unaware of the distinct lack of comfort and ventilation they provide...

...you should also consider that your level of paranoia probably suggests therapy may be a better option than body armour...

Jesus Christ, as already mentioned, I am not at risk, I have no reason to need body armour, nor would I want to wear it if it was available.

I know it would be uncomfortable, once again, I never said that I would wear it. I don't need to, I don't want to.

Learn to read before you call me paranoid, I was just saying that I do believe people should be able to defend themselves from attacks if they wish. And I think it's disgusting that it's easier to get a gun than body armour.

Think of it this way, if someone was being threatened it's easer for them to get a gun and kill the threat than get body armour incase they're attacked. I think that's terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back