Indoor play-areas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicman72

Reaction score
G'day all. I've noticed there's some great threads showing off people's enclosures and pits of all kinds, which I've enjoyed and taken inspiration from. However, I was wondering if anyone else has wall-free 'areas' set up for inside for their snakes and/or lizards?
Although we have enclosures for all of our lizards, our two girls are allowed to roam free throughout the house (which of course is very lizard friendly and escape-proof). They've done this their whole lives, and we've always had an 'area' set up for them where they tend to hang out most of the time.
Anyway, thought I'd start a thread on this to see if anyone else has done the same, which I might be able to pinch ideas from ;) hehe... I always love inspiration!
In these pics, the chopper is brand new, and Rose (our Eastern) has slept in the cockpit every night since we got it - she loves it! Also, that's a mercury vapour bulb in the centre, and some red brick pavers directly underneath. We put our flowering orchids up the cold end to add colour.
Look forward to seeing some great pics!
Cheers,
Nic

Attachments

• P1010742.jpg
    P1010742.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 372
  • P1010736.jpg
    P1010736.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 211
  • P1010751.jpg
    P1010751.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 187
I havnt kept reps on the loose tho i did have a couple of rabbits free ranging my room for several months (toilet trained of cource). Even used to sleep in the bed at night lol, cute as!

Where did you get that chopper, i want one!!!

Chopper's from the local petstore it_slithers. Staff discount made it a more reasonable price!

Anyone got any more photos?

Bumpety bump... I'll give this thread one more chance before I let it die! C'mon, there MUST be some pics out there?!
Nic

I really like the idea. I just never thought of doing it for reptiles before! Maybe because mine are all small and could escape on me.

My birds have free run of the room with playstands everywhere. Now I feel like a bad lizard mum!

ive posted this before but here it is again. great idea just waiting for my jungle to grow up a bit before constructing.[video=youtube;xFHezTnubZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFHezTnubZk[/video]

i've often thought of an indoor pit, but couldn't do this cause our cat is attracted to the lizards and not in a good way!!!!

that looks awesome though and would love to do it one day if i get a house appropriate enough to have a reptile room, which i really want!

snake swing. on my back deck.
very good for feeding on.

Attachments

• 310120101225.jpg
    310120101225.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 145
apart from the designated lizard beanbag at the front doors, and my man has a sunning cage set up so he can use the window sills, (hes never used his tank, lol,..) they dont so much have 'designated areas', but enjoy free ranging and all have different fave places. The girls LOVE the lounge, i tend to find a couple on the stairs when i get home, in cupboards, beside the fridge, behind furniture etc,....from time to time theres even 1 or 2 still in tehir enclosure when i get home,..! :p

the snakes seem to get bored with areas and move on within half an hour so i made sure the house i bought had an awesome stair case/railings to play on, (cant find pix of that on the laptop, i think theyre still on the camera) they enjoy the dining table and chairs, pot plants, book cases, cd racks, curtain rods etc.
(the snakes come out under supervision when the beardies are sleeping on the beanbag and covered with towels fro safety)

Attachments

• bella1.jpg
    bella1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 92
  • front doors.jpg
    front doors.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 98
  • bubbybumasleep.jpg
    bubbybumasleep.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 87
  • loki.jpg
    loki.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 95
  • mr's enclosure.jpg
    mr's enclosure.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 100
love the snake swing, mine use feeding chairs at mealtimes,....oops, hes finished eating,..but thats one of the feeding charis,....

plus a few more pix of happy beardies,.....

Attachments

• kaida in bowl.jpg
    kaida in bowl.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 81
  • boo.jpg
    boo.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 78
  • diamond.jpg
    diamond.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 93
  • chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 82
  • chub.jpg
    chub.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 86
snake swing. on my back deck.
very good for feeding on.

We only have snakes (no way are we 'free-ranging' them!) and a pair of Knobbies.

I am liking the snake swing though! A lot..... :)

Love the swing TwentyB... can you leave your snake out there unattended for any amount of time, or is s/he always under supervision?
Chris1, I knew you free-ranged, but that just takes it to a whole new level! Do you make sure every animal is accounted for before bed every night (roll call)? You must have VERY understanding friends when they come 'round to visit. Ever lost any altogether? Kaida in the bowl is a classic - is that where she sleeps?
Paulie, thanks for posting the vid.
Cheers for all the pics guys.
Nic

ive posted this before but here it is again. great idea just waiting for my jungle to grow up a bit before constructing.YouTube - 4 foot Python Hunting In The Jungle

so will you be live feeding like that !! hope that snake does a poo on his carpet and he cant get rid of the smell! what a tosser ,really try and educate yourself before emulating that fool!!

i got my hands on a large forked tree that i was going to set in concret in a pot, and have inside for supervised chillaxing on. however, now that i have an aviary outside, im going to chop it down to fit in there.....

lol, rollcall,.. :)
yep, as soon as i get home from work i collect them all and move them to the bean bag or the lounge, they're so comfy there they dont move, i do the same when i have visitors so they dont get stepped on. :)
Kaida used to sleep in the dining room, the bowl day was the only time i thought i'd lost her for good, i hunted in a totally panicked state for about 2 hours and since i was positive she couldnt possibly have gotten out i decided to cook dinner and keep looking later, and there she was,...phew!!
for the last 2 weeks shes climbed all the stairs and crashed at the top, lol,..ill have to get pix next time she does it.

Found some pix of Loki playing on the stairs, he can spend up to an hour cruising up and down the stairs and/or railings before he comes back into the lounge room, (he sometimes even goes back to his tank for a drink), and another pic of the lizard beanbag (its filled with heated wheat bags, so theyre nice and cosy) :p

Attachments

• Loki staircase.jpg
    Loki staircase.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 60
  • loki railing.jpg
    loki railing.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 60
  • loki stairs.jpg
    loki stairs.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 56
  • Loki drinking.jpg
    Loki drinking.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Sabrina and Ty.jpg
    Sabrina and Ty.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 60
My EWD roams free in the house every day. He sleeps in an old washing basket filled with towels, and every morning, I put him in the sink for a drink, a swim and a poop, then off he goes to find himself a spot to sit and watch the cats. He roams all day, and you'll often hear his toenails clinking on the tiles, then of a night, you have to find him (usually under the piano) and give him another drink before he gets put back in his basket. I've allowed my CBD to roam a little bit, but she got lost one day. Our house is huge, so it took me ages to find her again, and now she's supervised!
They all have free range when we go on car rides though. They sit on the dash and watch the world go by.
I love your set up though Nic!!! I would love to do that! Must buy a table...

I love the idea if free ranging snakes and lizards! I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen as long as my wife shall live though lol!!! I do plan on creating a snake room either in our planned extension or my new shed though so maybe there.....

Love the swing TwentyB... can you leave your snake out there unattended for any amount of time, or is s/he always under supervision?
Nic
i have it so they can't actually reach anything and they won't just fall off it. so n, they don't need constant supervision, but there is usually someone close by.
i like to sit on the deck with a beer and the tv,
so i usually take at least 1 snake out with me

so will you be live feeding like that !! hope that snake does a poo on his carpet and he cant get rid of the smell! what a tosser ,really try and educate yourself before emulating that fool!!
no live feeding for me mate.. just a little play area so i can watch or play games and let the snakes loose and not have to worry every 5 seconds. and why jump to conclusions that i would live feed,?? this thread was about play areas..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back