HELP? Common Knowledge for Reptiles in Pet Stores

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i didnt say they grow to full size and stop, i just said that they just grew to the average adult lenght in that time. theres two other deminsions that they can grow. and your right about the frillys, i googled it. the zooceaper made a mistake.
Fair enough, i think the thread op is looking for people with more experience than google skills
And no that is not what you said

Okay, so you're no expert but good on you for trying to learn... we have a few pet shops around here that sell snakes that aren't feeding, tell people that sexing snakes is illegal unless your a vet and even told a guy that he should be feeding his 6ft olive python nothing bigger than an adult mouse, so clearly you're a step ahead of some people already.

My advice would be to get online and search for some care sheets on the species you will be required to care for, these will normally be able to give you and idea on adult sizes... etc. Also keep a couple of good Australian reptile books on hand so that if you get stuck with a question you can look it up rather than lying your way out of it or saying "i don't know" like some shops do.

Best of luck with it.. sounds like a fun job :D

Can I recommend a trip to the local library, Wilson & swan complete guide, John Weigel Keeping Australian reptiles in captivity, Keeping & breeding Australian pythons Ect.

thanks smudge and kensai!!

for the advice and thumbs up :D im going to try my best to be as helpful as possible, to try lower the rate of failing herpers in this town! lol

Hi all :)
...so here goes :D

average length of adult:
spotteds? 1 meter
coastals? 2.5 meters
childrens? 1 meter
stimsons? 0.9 meter
bearded dragons? 0.5 meter ( including tail)
frill necked lizards? 1 meter ( including tail)

also, how long does it take them all to grow to full length?
depends on how you feed them. You can get them to full size in two years but their can be problems. Three or four years to breeding weight is the generally accepted mark
and another question, the afformentioned snakes, theyre the only type commercial shops can sell right? because ive had someone tell me another shop is trying to get in jungles, darwins and MDs, i didnt think that was allowed?
not in QLD. Neither are coastals and frilled necked lizards allowed

and lastly, what do you feed hatchling snakes, in case they get given to the shop before theyre ready to eat pinky mice? someone told me it was pinky mice tails? if so, how many of them at each feed?

and whats a good way to get them eating if they are being stubborn?
Frequently Asked Questions - Aussie Pythons & Snakes
sorry about all the questions, im just really keen to know everything to be the most helpful to new herpers!

thanks guys :)
np

Fuscus, youre awesome XD

cheers so much for that! *clicks link and gets reading*

my gosh i didnt realize frillies got so big! i guess its kind of like lace monitors, half their length is their tails right? lol

Fuscus, youre awesome XD

cheers so much for that! *clicks link and gets reading*

my gosh i didnt realize frillies got so big! i guess its kind of like lace monitors, half their length is their tails right? lol
Yeah, i wouldnt say they have a particularly long tail compared to most other dragon, there body is also quite big and very robust, but yes most of their length is in their tail

Last edited:
i'm freaking out.. someone help

it's not that big of a deal but im worried for my 4 month old spotted python..recently i have noticed that his scales are just falling off, it's not too bad but still a problem. he's not due to shed n this doesnt look like shedding.. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?this is my first snake n i dont know much about them. i have studied up on it but havent come across information regarding this issue, please helppppppp

the temp should be at around 30 deggrees, you should of studied more befor getting a snake *grumpy face* id say take him to a vet asap

I think most lizards tails are longer than there bodies

True reading from the Swan and Wilson book it gives the SVL (snout to ventral length) of the EBD as 250 mm and the frilly as 258mm. the frilly tail is about twice the length of it body while the beardies tail is only about the same length of its body

hey, where abouts is this new store gonna be located? I love new pet shops. i always go nuts!! :p

um ok im sorry for bein so caring about my snake. no one is talking in other forum's so if it's alright with you mr. big threader but i'd like to ask a question

and hello

SETTLE pettle!! Others are just telling you that you are supposed to post your own threads for your own questions, and that it is considered quite RUDE to 'hijack' someone elses thread. I can see that you are only 15, so my suggestion is learn to be polite to others, try to look for the correct method of posting threads, and read read read BEFORE you get any new animals, reptiles or not, otherwise the sickness and possibly death of your animals are on your own hands, often considered as neglegance and/or animal cruelty. Take your snake to a vet, and read up some more on the proper care for it.

sorry keish. no offence or anything, but no, youre not being polite, and its a fast way to make people think less of you, since youre so new :/ its ok that you dont know how to work the website yet, but people have told you, no biggie. this isnt a thread about snake problems, youre better off starting a new one where more people can give input.

oh damn gladstone get the good pet stores... lol. nah i'll have to go there when i'm in gladstone next. everywhere i go i have to stop at pet stores. i'm such an addict!!

well anyway, as to your questions... obviously queensland can only sell the antaresias and bearded dragons out of your list. then blueys etc.
but all your antaresias grow to about 1m at about 3-4 years old
the best advice i can give it probably don't get hatchies that aren't feeding. even some experienced breeders can have problem feeders, so it's probably a good idea for you to get more experience with better feeders before you start with non feeding hatchlings.
you could also maybe print out that post by emily to give to new owners so they know about click clacks. that way they won't put their baby snake into a huge enclosure and stress it out.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning-93266

good luck with it al

I believe penny turtles got there name many years ago when vendors would sell baby turtles for a penny each at the local market.

COngratulations on your (possible) new job! Pet stores a are really fun places to work but it is hard work. ou are always thinking and some days it feels like I am Dr Phil and Dr Dolittle combined in one.

Get your boss to get reference books for you and customers to use. I never feel like I know enough about reptiles and the other day we (me and a customer) got a book off the shelf to look up something re: temperatures for a snake because I was just not sure.

So my biggest tip for selling reptiles (or any pet really) is not to make up crap. If you don't know, say you don't know but that you know where you can find out. You won't know the answer to every question. Also, practice saying "I'm not a vet" over and over. Customers will (usually) respect your honesty and if you look things up in a book that your shop sells then they will often buy the book too (which they are usually too stingy to otherwise do).

Your reputation as a reptile keeper, your store's reputation and most importantly the life of an animal rests on this.

Also, if the store is new and NONE of the staff but you know anything about reptiles, suggest to your boss putting together a short Bio. of each species you sell. You will not be there every hour the shop is open. Things l like on these Bios. is stuff like: adult size, juvenile and adult diet, enclosure minimum size and a picture of a good starter setup. This serves two purposes. Customers read them and it helps them see what they are getting into and you (and the other staff) can use it as a reminder because it is not possible to remember everything! Other things like signs on the UV bulbs saying which % for which type of reptile really helps the other staff and customers choose the right thing and you to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back