Cat food 'the secret to stopping cane toads'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 18-Feb-10 06:07 PM
Source: AFP via NEWS.com.au

AUSTRALIA'S poisonous plague of cane toads finally met its match in a can of cat food.

Go to Original Article

Lets all donate cat food to Qld and the NT, every pond looks better with cat food

Im putting a can of cat food along every aquatic system i know
on the weekend hahaha

I see this as a pretty useless way of "controlling" toads, a; raising the ant population could have other effects on the environment, b; as soon as the ants die down another billion toads will fill any void in the toad population. At best, it may work to a degree around some specific small control areas.

As I live in a cane toad area ,I have noticed over the last ten years the decrease in them ,when my family and I first moved to the area , the toads were everywhere .....these days ,although there is no shortage of them , they seem to be down in numbers ,so hoping thats cause other animals have now been able to tolerate the toad ,besides the keelback ,I have also seen the crows flip the toads over and consume them...wether they are leaving the glands alone ,I am not sure ..but can honestly say we are not as populated with them as we were in 2000.....;)

The reason for the lack of toads over the last few years has been the lack of rainfall. They will be back to their numbers of the mid to late 90's over the next 12 months after all the rain and flooding we've had.

The reason for the lack of toads over the last few years has been the lack of rainfall. They will be back to their numbers of the mid to late 90's over the next 12 months after all the rain and flooding we've had.
well thats a point too Jonno ,.........have to keep an eye on them ...

Wonder if the ants are immune to the toxin? If not wiping out all the ants in an area could cause another problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back