what food is better

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrakka

Reaction score
can any one tell what would be a better sorce of food for my new 6 foot bhp rats or quails?

thanks to anyone who can help

Rabbits!! Really depends on what you want to feed, people say they dont like rats over 200g cause they are to high in fat content, I'm yet to have seen a obese snake though ;)

Quails are an excellent food source and great value for money too. The only thing I find is that quails are quite round in the middle and a bit harder for the snakes to get down. The solution is to feed a slightly smaller quail (in weight) than you would normally feed if using rats.

you could mix it up. as said above really big rats can be considered quite fatty, where as quail are lean.
also my friend has 4 BHP and all of them prefer quails over rats. they will refuse rats but take quail straight away.
so just try both. if your BHP decides it likes quail then stick with that, but if its happy to take both then feed them both mixed up week to week

I just feed what is convenient. IMO variety is better than a sole food source. Sometimes you can have problems getting some snakes to accept other food items when they eat the same thing all the time. I have experienced this in yearlings where they have always fed on mice and wont eat rats.

Regards.

Ewan.

OK. I (and when I say "I", I mean my wife) am having an issue with snake poo smell. Since I started feeding my snakes with large rats, they have been doing smelly poo. As they are in our living area my wife gets upset about the smell. I clean it up of course but it might be there for a day before I am able to clean it up and the heater in the tank only exacerbates the smell.
Prior to feeding them large rats we never had a smell problem.
Is it because of the high fat content in the rats? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does a snake's poo smell less if it is fed with less fatty foods?

BiteandSqueze - It's an interesting thought (if scat can be interesting). I think it is more than likely just due to the size of the scat and you are noticing it smells more. However the smell might be undigested food item passed. Do you notice if there is often undigested fur in the scat?

i like to feed my pythons a balanced diet of rats,quails,
rabbits,chickens and ducks. they are imo just so much
more healthier and stronger then a few of my mates
collections that are just fed on large rats and chicken necks,
i also get better clutches then them with stronger hatchlings,
tho that might just be a coincidence..who knows :)

Cheers.

thanks guys for all you helpfull feed back its much appreciated im gona try feeding him both rats and quails an see what happens so thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back