urgent help. dieing beardie!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
don't have pics of enclosure handy. but 4x2x2 shared with 3 others. day globe (basking) and night globe (red) on separate (dimming) thermostats. day temp 38 hot end, cool end varies depending on outside temp, but usually between 28-30. been a warmish day in melb. night temp 28-30. UV globe, 6 months old, with 12 month life at new.

He is 8 month's old. biggest and was healthiest and had biggest appetite of all the beardies (definite male, as confirmed by others). vegies (carrot, cumcuber, lettuce, bok choy) most days. woodie's daily, dusted with vitamin powder prob twice a week. also use a dragon juvi pellet in with his vegies (daily), and a vitamin spray 2-3 times a week. have observed him eating all of these things (again, biggest and healthiest dragon by far till now, has never looked slightly of colour!)

Hi, I hope things are looking up, I've never heard of a spray so I'm interested to know what that is and someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but Lettuce is a BIG No No?? I've read and been told that, plus I'm pretty sure I know some people who have fed lettuce and their dragon's didn't last long.

Hi m8, so sad reading your threads i could not imagine finding 1 of my beardies that way. My wife was in tears reading about Tony. I hope and pray that he made it through the night and you got him to a good vet m8. Thinking of you and Tony all the best...

Hi, I hope things are looking up, I've never heard of a spray so I'm interested to know what that is and someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but Lettuce is a BIG No No?? I've read and been told that, plus I'm pretty sure I know some people who have fed lettuce and their dragon's didn't last long.
I think the main problem with lettuce is it causes the runs and has no nutritional value, i dont think it is toxic though i could be wrong

hey, how r u doing. i just found this thread and i really feel sorry for you. hope he is alright

Tony made it through the night. And had not moved at all from where i placed him last night until i got him out this morning. took and hour and a half to find a vet this morning on the phone. found one vet who refused to see him, saying they were booked out. Told that lady this wasn't a general check up, and that Tony appeared to be dieing, but apparently this Vet didn't go into business to save animal lives.

Finally got on to a place in Frankston. It's an hour and a half away, so was worried bout Tony getting there, but he made it. Used a pillow case, as advised to in this thread, and gave him plenty of blankets to lay on top of. (this vet was busy also, but more than happy to accommodate!!!) Vet's name was Shane (forget last name) at Karingal Vet Hospital, and was sensational, and i highly recommend him to anyone. Other than being concern bout the stress the long journey may cause, it was more than worth the trip! Unfortunately though, after a long examination, and an ultrasound, the vet was unable to conclude anything concrete. He suspects a neurological problem, and Tony is staying the night and getting some blood tests to try and find an answer. The vet also suspected pain around the stomach and said he'd give Tony something for the pain.

The vet said he would check results of the blood test's tomorrow from home when they come through, and possibly return to the clinic for Tony if need be for treatment (on his day off, which is also his son's 7th birthday party!! someone say "Dedication"). Price's were reasonable to for the amount of effort put in.

So for now it's just cross the fingers and hope for some good news. to answer some questions...... (sorry if i missed someone, been long night and day, and verrrrry tired) .........

Hi Brett

Sorry to hear this said news mate,its not 1 from me is it ?
Hows he going now and did you get him to the vets. ?
I was also wondering about the amount of vit spray u are using.
I think you should be cutting it back to 1 spray per week if at all.

cheers

Nah mate. Not one from you, my favorite (shouldn't have favorite's, lol) of the bigger guys i have.

The spray is from a company called reptile science, and called, vitamin and mineral spray for reptiles (with added calcium). bought and recommended from a reptile specific pet shop. think i should pass on this from now on??

Greg, so pessimistic!! (realistic, be it otherwise called)
Hoping he got it to the vet in time for copious amounts of antibiotics for a possible lung infection, or copious amounts of fluids for dehydration problems due to possible psychological bullying??
We've got to live in hope.....................:?

Ultrasound revealed nothing on the lungs and no dehydration. The vet said from what he had observed, Tony appeared physically very healthy other than the worry of the symptoms, and specifically commented on Tony's weight and thickness in tail/ lower body, and his hydration. Vet said this seems to be a very weird case.

as far as psychological bullying goes, Tony loves being out and about and being held, and runs to the window of the enclosure when i walk into the room to come out. And inside the enclosure, Tony is the boss with his size and personality amongst the other dragons he lives with.

Let the vet know exactly what i feed Tony, including the lettuce, and he said that the diet was fine and made no recommendations to change. (can't remember if i mentioned the spray though!) I haven't observed as yet anyone who hasn't used lettuce in a mix for dragons salad. Heard Iceberg lettuce can cause messy number 2's, but i don't use Iceberg.

Thanks everyone, sorry it took a while to get back, but only just got home for the day as was at a friends after dropping off Tony. Least he is in good hands with so many caring and knowledgeable people around him if something else goes wrong.

Thanks again for all the help and concern from everyone!!!! very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Good luck Brett, I have held my breath all the way through reading this thread! I'm exhausted now!!

Please keep us posted? I sincerely hope he pulls through for you, you sound like a wonderful, caring owner, and you deserve to get him back healthy!

Brett I hope all goes well for you. You obviously really care about Tony very much. I know next to nothing about lizards, but have been following this thread as it goes along. At least the vet you are seeing cares, unlike the other one who only wants the cash. He will at least be cared for as he should
Good luck mate :)

Still have fingers crossed for you and Tony Brett xxxxxxxx I hope the tests can reveal something for you so the vet can move forward and get him treated. Good Luck mate.

You must be wrecked mate. I've been thinking about Tony since I first read this thread; so glad he made it through the night. Hope the vet can fix him up today. He's in the best hands now... Let us know how it all goes.
Nic

Its good to see such dedication in getting care for Tony. I would do the same thing. Geez!! Bloody animals what they do to us!!! hahahaha Have been watching the post...Iam sure we are all interested to hear the outcome and hopefully the cause. If you havent spoken to the vet about the vitamin spray, it might be worth calling him and telling him. Its good that vet knows everything.

Its good to see such dedication in getting care for Tony. I would do the same thing. Geez!! Bloody animals what they do to us!!! hahahaha Have been watching the post...Iam sure we are all interested to hear the outcome and hopefully the cause. If you havent spoken to the vet about the vitamin spray, it might be worth calling him and telling him. Its good that vet knows everything.
im sure shane simpson would have asked many many questions , but when u go back it wouldnt huryt to give the spray bottle to shane and see what he says about it .

Hey Brett,

Shane is my vet too, He's Awesome!
I'm sure if Shane is looking after him, he'll do EVERYTHING he can to help save your little guy. Shane keeps reptiles himself, The guy has a genuine love for herps of all kinds, and he goes out of his way to do everything he can.

I really hope Tony pulls through,

Fingers are crossed for ya, he's in good hands.

Mate thats great to hear he made it to the vets, i thought he wasnt going to make the night.
Good luck with him and please keep us updated

Thanks
Gecks

im sure shane simpson would have asked many many questions , but when u go back it wouldnt huryt to give the spray bottle to shane and see what he says about it .

definitly will do mate!

No update yet guys, and i appreciate the interest, concerns and well wish's.

Shane Simpson, that's the one. Yeah he's great!!

Was told i'd get a call today when the results for blood test came it but didn't happen. I called them at 4 cause couldn't handle waiting any longer, lol, but got a phone message saying that they closed at 3, so looks like i'll (by the sound of it actually, "we all") have to wait until tomorrow! Will definitely keep everyone updated. Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back