new red C. beardie hatchling + questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabregasreptiles

Reaction score
hey guys,

just got a hatchling central beardie from very high red parents. he was born on the 14th january so he is very tiny (as small as a 50c coin. he is now sleeping on my palm which i think he really likes to as he is sleeping therer on my palm peacefully.i have a few questions to asj:
1. how many times a week should i feed him at this age and how many crickets to feed him each time?
2. how many times a week to feed him veggies?
3. is a 45 by 45 by 45cm cage ok for him to stay in and for how long.?
4. what is a good substrate to use?
5. how many times a day should i handle him and for how many minutes?

if u could answer these questions that would be great.

in 2 weeks i will be getting another high coloured central beardie a month older than this guy and they will live together and in 2 years hopefully breed. also, should they be fine together??

lastly, i am not sure what to call him but judging ffrom his patterning and colour, i am thinking 'tiger'?? do u think this is a good name for a dragon. if not, can u suggest some other names.

thanks: if you could help me with these questions that would be perfect

ps: enjoy the photos

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Aww hes gorgeous.
Feed him crix twice a day, as many as he can eat in say 5 minutes.
Mine have veges in their tank always, and water.
While they are small, a smaller tank is good so they don't freak out, but they grow fast
Newspaper substrate, for now..safer,easier, cheap.
Mine are handled everyday, you will have to handle them for feeding anyway if feeding in seperate tub...i take mine out in the sun as much as possible also

Hope that helps!

ok. thanks for the info. he is such an angel. when i take him out, he will instantly go to sleep in the middle of my palm....

yeah they love being held, and if they don't they soon will. your's is obviously accustomed to it already, so get him out as much as you want.

45x45 is pretty small. look to get a 120x60x60 as soon as u can. if you only plane on having the one then 90x60x60 would probably do, but the bigger the better for these guys, they love to be able to run around. that said, 120x60x60 can hold 3-4 adults - 1 male to 3 females.

Mzsel has answered all questions perfectly. Except when you get new one, make sure they are of similar size and if one starts to get bigger, then it is best to separate them, as the small one might get bullied and injured.
A lot of people don't like keeping them together at all, especially as adults. If they are both males best not to keep them together anyways and if they are boy and girl, it could be very bad for the girl to have babies too young, so best keep them seperated till you want them to mate. Good luck! :D

i am thinking about getting a Beardie aswell do they try and run away when handled, can you put them on the floor and let them explore or do they tend to run off

central beardies are probably the best reptile pet if you want one 'dog tamed'. you can sit on the lounge nd wach tv with them on your head shoulder o0r lap and they will sit with u. they are very good handlers and rarely ever try run away. mine is a baby loves to sit on my lap or sleep in my palm. just look at the pics. GET ONE!! they are awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back