bad advice for novice hunters/shooters

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always wormy in this area, same property has deer that we take for meat , as well as a few rabbits and feral dogs (some nice looking almost pure dingoes as well, but we leave those alone).
The top animal was actually shot off the back of a sow, managed to get 6 from that mob, not bad for 3 people with bolt actions.

Always wormy in this area, same property has deer that we take for meat , as well as a few rabbits and feral dogs (some nice looking almost pure dingoes as well, but we leave those alone).
The top animal was actually shot off the back of a sow, managed to get 6 from that mob, not bad for 3 people with bolt actions.

What gun were you using? And where do you shoot for?

not bad at all shame that they are always wormy ive heard in nsw you can get some really good bacon from the pigglets

Top one was the 6.5x5.5, bottom one was the .22mag. With the heavier stuff, I usually just go chest (kind of low behind the front leg for heart on pigs, but that 6.5 will put stuff down no matter where the shot in the chest region, makes mince of shoulder blades so angle isnt too important). Usually don't use the .22 mag on pigs, but using fmj's and shooting just behind the ear (broadside or quartering away shots) drops them pretty well with one shot, usually faster than the heavy stuff on heart shots actually (just means I have to be abolutely sure of the shot, and that the animal isn't going to flinch on me). Plenty of practice with that magnum over the years......

For deer the I haven't been able to go past the .243, and as long as 85grain or heavier slugs are used, never had an issue with it on pigs either.

ever seen a 180 grain slug from a .374 hit a fallow deer....definition of clean kill right there

Nope, but have used a falling block .45-70 on chital before.......imagine it to be roughly the same, lol.

I just like the .243 for it's high velocity, flat shooting, minimum recoil and noise and the fact that it doesn't make a mess of the skins. And it's pretty cheap to feed :) Found a box of .470 nitro express rounds for over $550 the other day (box of 20.....). No thanks....

shall do a bit later dont have any of just the weapons so you will have to view my ugly mug as well and when i get the enfield from the gun shop i'll put some pic of that up aswell.... i should have some of my .22 i know i have one of my .222rem its my face book display pic. i'll put a link to the pic of that up for you
Login | Facebook

the big cheesy grin is cuz i had just spotted a bunny and i was turning around to get the missus to take a video of me shooting it but she suprise photoed me instead. and i had to take the shot befor i could tell her to make a video cuz the bunny heard the digital camera noise and was bolt up right, when i looked back

yeah im unimpressed with the price of large cal ammo.... its why in the next couple of weeks im going to invest in a reloading kit.

an off topic question- what do you do with a big game that you have killed. I know some people eat them, But if you hit a pig that is full of worms or a Buffalo ect. what do you do with the carcass?

I have seen photos of hunting trips where there have been twenty pigs piled up- Do you leave em to stink or burn them or what?

Depends what i'm shooting for. Geese i usually fillet and leave the carcass to rot, ducks i take the whole animal. Pigs i might take the head for a trophy but don't think i would ever eat one, buffalo i would prolly butcher a very young one but not an adult so they would be left to rot.

generally with big game like that thats
a) no good for eating and/or b) a pest
you take a trophy if you want and put the carcass some where discreet so that it can be eaten by other animals once your gone the longest ive ever heard of a carcass actually "rotting in the sun" for is about 3 days before its just skin and bone.

nature is great and there is nothing wrong with leaving a easy meal out for the natives

As a general rule I hunt to remove destructive species from the environment, so most are just left somewhere where they aren't going to bother anyone. If we are going to be in the area for a while, they are used as bait to bring in pigs, which in turn become bait to bring in more...

Waruikazi...... have you considered a Winchester 375 lever action for your scrub gun???? magic on pigs in scrub... had a great time with mine when i had it....also had a Winchester 30/30 lever action..another top gun

No i haven't Jac, i honestly don't know alot about guns hey. I want something that is significantly bigger than my .308 so i'm not doubling up on weapons and something that can bring a buff down with a single chest shot and that can reliably get through their skulls. I don't want to get a 30/30 unless i find a good one really cheap just because the round is pretty similar in size to the .308.

ah ok mate,i never tried the 375 on buffs,never got up there....but it loved piggies...big enough that tiny deflections from leaves-branches still left it close to point of aim...good hunting for next weapon

Thanks very much, I suppose any property big enough to hunt on , it isn't going to matter where you leave it as there will be no neighbours to complain.

Thanx for your replies

its a respect thing when hunting on sombodies property to make sure any game you leve behind is out of sight and out of mind running over a roo or a big in a paddy basher can cause the famer alot of grief never mind the risk of dead flesh getting into watering holes and poiseioning there stock never good.

45-120 for buffs the will kill em goood...... ofcourse thats an elephant round tho.

your 308 should be sufficient but my godfarther uses a 30-06 (the guy i buy my guns off and taught me to shoot)

sorry guys just a quick question.

how dose shooting improve reflexes?
unless you do clay/pigeon shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back