urgent help. dieing beardie!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where xrays taken to check for bone density? I would be thinking down the lines of hypocalcemia, as that will cause muscle spasms and fitting, getting bloods taken to check calcium levels would be ideal, but I am unsure if it is done here in Aust on a regular basis, it is in the US. This will tell you what level it is at that moment, though some calcium (with the correct heating and if it's available) can be taken from the skeleton, thus the xray. It may be possible that the blood levels fluctuate faster than the reabsorption process can fulfill, thus bloods would be a better option if possible.
Male Beardies seem to suffer sudden deaths when kept with other dragons 24/7, maybe it is from over excertion draining on the calcium levels within the blood that cause a myrid of problems, adding to the fact that BDs that are kept inside are almost always lacking in correct UV, and are also almost always kept overheated, and I'm not talking about basking spot or hot end temps, I'm talking about being given "ideal temps" over most of the year, no time for the dragon to cool down, no weeks of inactivity during the warmer times of the year ect.... basically they are being "super charged" into life...
well thats my input and thoughts anyway...
Hope all works out for him, Best of luck.

haven't heard from Shane Simpson yet, as apparently he wasn't in again today.

Unfortunately i was contacted by the vet clinic at 1.20pm today though, and they told me that Tony had passed over night. They didn't give me any other information though other than i would be contacted tomorrow by Shane to discuss results of the blood test. This should have happened Sunday though, so hopefully it wasn't anything that would've been reversible if done yesterday.

So unfortunately a sad end to this story and thread. Thanks everyone for the help and support!

I've added some pics for those curious of young Tony's looks. He's passed at only about 8 month's of age.

Brett

Tony as a hatchling on the far right

A healthy Tony. Pic taken 25/01/2010

Tony within minute's of being found on his back after returning home.

Tony where he slept the night before going to the vet.

I am so so sorry to hear that he didn't make it. You did right by the little fella for sure. He was lucky to have such a dedicated owner.

I know how you feel as I lost my little dragon (also 8 months old) out of the blue last Monday. I hope the blood test results give you some closure and explanations for what happened.

It is weird that they didn't call you until after lunch!

I am so so sorry to hear that he didn't make it. You did right by the little fella for sure. He was lucky to have such a dedicated owner.

I know how you feel as I lost my little dragon (also 8 months old) out of the blue last Monday. I hope the blood test results give you some closure and explanations for what happened.

It is weird that they didn't call you until after lunch!

Yeah i know, i was a bit disappointed about that, but other than that they had been great, so guess gotta take the good with the bad.

Sorry to hear bout the loss of your little one. feel free to post some pics of him/her here as a memorial if you like!

Where xrays taken to check for bone density? I would be thinking down the lines of hypocalcemia, as that will cause muscle spasms and fitting, getting bloods taken to check calcium levels would be ideal, but I am unsure if it is done here in Aust on a regular basis, it is in the US. This will tell you what level it is at that moment, though some calcium (with the correct heating and if it's available) can be taken from the skeleton, thus the xray. It may be possible that the blood levels fluctuate faster than the reabsorption process can fulfill, thus bloods would be a better option if possible.
Male Beardies seem to suffer sudden deaths when kept with other dragons 24/7, maybe it is from over excertion draining on the calcium levels within the blood that cause a myrid of problems, adding to the fact that BDs that are kept inside are almost always lacking in correct UV, and are also almost always kept overheated, and I'm not talking about basking spot or hot end temps, I'm talking about being given "ideal temps" over most of the year, no time for the dragon to cool down, no weeks of inactivity during the warmer times of the year ect.... basically they are being "super charged" into life...
well thats my input and thoughts anyway...
Hope all works out for him, Best of luck.

No x-ray's Jas, just the Ultra sound which showed nothing unusual, and the blood tests which i'm still waiting for results on. Will make another post here when i'm informed on the results!

So sorry t hear about little tony i know he would have be so proud of you and what you did for him.. couldn't have asked for a better owner that loved him dearly..
RIP Little Tony

Dunno what to say Brett... you must be devastated. :(:( This terrible news has certainly cast a cloud over my day, can't imagine what you're going through...
RIP Tony.

:cry::cry::cry: So sad for you!! Can see why it's confusing - he was otherwise huge & healthy hey. Hope the vet can shed some light. So sorry.........Kathy

No x-ray's Jas, just the Ultra sound which showed nothing unusual, and the blood tests which i'm still waiting for results on. Will make another post here when i'm informed on the results!

Sorry to hear..... see if they can check the calcium levels as they may just look at white blood cells ect...

Sorry to hear that :(
after reading what Jason said ....its does make alot of sense ...

still it dont take your pain away from losing a pet now ...

really sorry to hear u lost ur man.
i hope ur ok. :(

I'm so sorry to see you lost Tony. I hope you are ok and not stressing too much, these things happen sometimes. At least he's not suffering anymore.
Hopefully you will get an explanation for what has caused it before too long and then at least have some closure.

i only just made my acc this is the first thing i saw must be such a sad los rip tony

Sorry to hear..... see if they can check the calcium levels as they may just look at white blood cells ect...

Got a call today, and u could be right cause all they said was that there was a severe blood infection. apparently the white blood cells were covered in vast amounts of bacteria. Shane said this can be rather common, and after going through a list of things he said it wasn't due to my husbandry and just an unfortunate thing. Septicemia. he said that the infection would not spread through to the other beardies housed with him either.

I aso asked abut a substrate i noticed they used in there beardie enclosure in the waiting room, which shane (the vet) say's he finds best. It's called "breeder's choice" apparently and he say's it found in most supermarkets in the pet food section, and apparently in a green bag. it appears to be pellets of recycled newspaper. So i'm thinking of changing from sand to this. Figure the vet would know best. Just wondering if anyone else uses this and what there experience with it has been.

The only issue i can think of with it, (Which i didn't think of at the time of the call) was that woodies and such would hide under it making it hard for the herps to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back