Lace Monitor Taming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey mate go on you tube and type in wally the lace monitor the uploaders name is ssssnakeman and he is a well known bloke im not sure if its the same bloke as on here but he has a few videos called tameing monitors and they are very helpful.. as i love monitors ans want to get onther one and grow it up and ry and tame so the bes of luck mate with you lacey and keep us posted how you going

This is a good point, My tamest ever lacie was an Huge ( i mean huge!) male adult wild caught animal (Pre amnesty days) and it settled down instantly and became a fat porker who would sit at my feet in its aviary and let me give it a rub on the throat and belly with out even a hiss,

Any pics of him, markars?

Any pics of him, markars?

Pre digital photography days but i wil see what i can dig up and scan. He was a beauty. and i wil be sad if i cannot find anything .

I will agree with you here Markars as I know a fellow which got a lacie hatchling from
me which he treated like a pet kitten rather than a lacie and it seemed really
placid and friendly till it got to about 1m in length and decided that it only associated
it's owner with food and became a heat (human) seeking missile everytime it saw
someone, this I found to be more dangerous than any untame lizard which just wants
nothing to do with people at all.

I believe it just doesn't just associate people with food ;) :lol: Say G'day to Rex for me eh?

i got a hollow log at each end of the tank, is that enough hiding places?

i got a hollow log at each end of the tank, is that enough hiding places?

Not really, you should have a minimum of about6 in my opinion, I have 13 with my boy and he uses most of them accept one hat he doesn't fit in anymore occasionally sticking his head in and seeing if he has lost enough weight to fit in again

With any animal that is a bit fiesty I always leave ripped up shirts or whatever else is of mine lying around in their habitats
They seem to calm down very quickly then

Not really, you should have a minimum of about6 in my opinion, I have 13 with my boy and he uses most of them accept one hat he doesn't fit in anymore occasionally sticking his head in and seeing if he has lost enough weight to fit in again

hahahah aww that is adorable! little fattty XD maybe you should reassure him hes got big boy bones now, and its not cuz hes too fat hahah

Lace Taming

Laces a great animals with both the potential to be soften than pussy cats or extremely aggressive. Taming them takes time and more time and when you finished that more time again.

1. Your first need to soften the Lace by getting it calm in its enclosure where it knows it can be safe. A good practice is to leave it alone and remember it is not a cat that will calm very easy.
2. You then need introduce yourself to the Lace, do this being around the Lace enclosure a lot, outside the enclosure until such time as it sees you walking around and does move or show signs flaring.
3. When the Lace is comfortable with you near the enclosure gradually put your hand in and more the floor surface around. What you are trying to do it get the Lace to acquire your scent and interaction inside the enclosure without thinking you will pose a threat. Many may argue that using gloves is the best method the issue you WILL have it that it will not bond with you through gloves and also remember that most gloves are made from some form of animal hide.
4. When you can do this and the Lace does not move or show signs of flaring move your hand, (And remember this point !!) at the SURFACE level of the enclosure closer and closer to the Lace until such time to can rub them without issue.
Remember that a threat to a Lace in their mind will always come from above so moving at their level or below will pose less of a threat.
5. At this stage the Lace should be comfortable enough to be picked up. Again this is where you needs the Lace's trust. When you have bonded with the Lace, moved your hands close enough to rub you can then move on. Get the Lace in one hand and "ALWAYS" remember:
Never restrict the Lace from moving
Always move your hands from beneath the Lace, NOT above
What you want it to do is for the Lace move forward with you moving yours hands one after the other from beneath the Lace so it thinks it is moving.
6. At this stage depending on the time put into the Lace the Lace could calm easy or could require more work as above.

Cheers

Cattle prod and a sock full of 20cent coins...........

No, sorry, thats for kids, my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back