Best way to defrost

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics of the first feed

Attachments

• P2240640.jpg
    P2240640.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P2240643.jpg
    P2240643.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 61
mine doesnt strike just slowly takes it from tweezers

I think she was trying to be all tough and just like a "wild" snake.... I'm sure she will get over that soon enough LOL shes a little lazy...

yeh i would like mine to fire up a little bit more but it is still young

I defrost over a couple of hours- the shoulders & rump of the rat is still coolish to touch. I usually place the rats in zip-lock bags (keeps flies off & keeps them from developing a freezer taint) after I have killed them. So when it is time to thaw, I place them in a plastic take-out container on top of the Snake enclosure, then I place the container in the sink after half filling with hot water... Check regularly until warm to touch. Easy- low smell, low worry. If you have a laser thermometer then it is simple to check the temp of the rat then too.

yeh i would like mine to fire up a little bit more but it is still young

Its funny coz shes not feisty about anything at all but i think she just decided to be today for feeding lol! Love her to bits!!

I do the same, keeps them alert and help with their consistency of their feeding :)

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first feed, its a great feeling seeing the little ones eat for the '1st' time.
I think she was trying to be all tough and just like a "wild" snake.... I'm sure she will get over that soon enough LOL shes a little lazy...

I prefer the 'wild' response, keeps the feeding response strong, if you are feeling brave enough, keep holding the mouse when your baby grabs and wraps, then give the mouse some little tugs like its alive :lol: keeps their feed response strong, IMO,

i do it with the hatchies and my 2yo coastal, not so sure i'd be brave enough for a game of tug with an Olive or a Scrubbie though :shock:

i do it with my woma but it doesnt coil but when it bites the mouse i kinda pull it away a bit and play a bit of tug and war, it doesnt let go hopfully as it grows older it will strike with a bit of speed

I like to pop my rodents in a zip lock bag and hang them out on the Hills Hoist late in the afternoon for a couple of hours when it's shaded, but the air's still warm. But if the weather's awful, I just sit them on the fluorescent light on the turtle tank and turn them once in a while to make sure they thaw evenly.

Okay that is a little gross but hey of it works it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back