urgent help. dieing beardie!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear bout Tony, RIP little guy. Hey Brett just to answer your question we use that kind of substrate ours is also in a green bag but called "Back-2-Nature". Never had any probs with it except for because it is from recycled product just check for bright bits of plastic ect. in the mix. Would really only recommend it for sub-adults or older. Like I said we've never had a prob but thats not to say people haven't.

So sorry Bret! They really are members of our families, and having one die, whether suddenly like poor little Tony, or after a long and happy life, it breaks our hearts. Know that I am thinking of you.

I use this kitty litter for my cats - it's great stuff, and I've seen many people use it for their herps. But I wouldn't, as I've seen beardies eat it, and that surely can't be a good thing...?
How could Tony have caught this bacteria? Is it common?

apparently is quite common the vet said. said it's possible that bacteria from the intestines got into the blood stream and multiplied, but couldn't give me an exact answer with the test's that had been ran prior to his passing.

thanks for the support everyone

Mate, I am so sorry for your loss:(:(. Masses of respect to you though for the care and dedication in trying to get him better, not everyone out there would go to those lengths, so seriously: legend. As for the breeders choice, I've been using that and back to nature for a few years now with no ill effects (touch wood). Again, so sorry to hear this news

R.I.P Tony...

Brett, again my sincerest condolences for you loss.
Did Shane give you any indication as to what actually brought about this condition - if it wasn't husbandry, was it his environment? I also find that difficult to believe, as you keep other lizards with no issues...
The reason I ask this, is that Tony's passing (RIP) may be able to serve as a warning to the rest of us dragon owners. As you mentioned, there were no warning signs, and he was your largest and healthiest lizard. So how can we prevent this condition in other beardies?
Thank you for sharing your painful story with us Brett, it's just such a shame that it didn't have a happy ending... Still thinking of Tony...
Nic

do u know if Tony was put on antibiotics at all?
would be good to know incase anyone has similar symptoms whether or not that would help.

Got a call today, and u could be right cause all they said was that there was a severe blood infection. apparently the white blood cells were covered in vast amounts of bacteria. Shane said this can be rather common, and after going through a list of things he said it wasn't due to my husbandry and just an unfortunate thing. Septicemia. he said that the infection would not spread through to the other beardies housed with him either.

No, well I was wrong.... Septicemia would of been my second guess, it kills alot of beardies, though often if the animal has a wound (however small) to allow the bacteria to enter the blood stream... thus the need to keep them clean....
Breeders Choice is cat litter, it is both good and bad.... it is good if it is replaced regularly, though that can be costly (compaired to replacing sand that should also be replaced regularly), and if it becomes damp will be a haven for bacteria (like under a water bowl if you use one), it is also a great spot for insects to hide and breed as you mentioned...

No, well I was wrong.... Septicemia would of been my second guess, it kills alot of beardies, though often if the animal has a wound (however small) to allow the bacteria to enter the blood stream... thus the need to keep them clean....
Breeders Choice is cat litter, it is both good and bad.... it is good if it is replaced regularly, though that can be costly (compaired to replacing sand that should also be replaced regularly), and if it becomes damp will be a haven for bacteria (like under a water bowl if you use one), it is also a great spot for insects to hide and breed as you mentioned...

So Jason, are you saying that a clean enclosure will eliminate the risk altogether, or just minimise it? Are there any other preventative measures we can take?
Also, what are the symptoms to keep an eye out for re Septicemia, prior to the lizard reaching the point of no return, as happened with Tony?
This thread has made me realise that this could happen to anyone's beardy by the sounds of it, regardless of size and health, with little to no warning. As Brett said earlier, Tony was a bit lethargic for a few days, but that is not uncommon prior to a shed, and I have observed this behaviour in my own dragons. Is a regular general check-up at the vet going notice any blood issues?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit worried for all the other lizards / lizard keepers out there! I hate seeing threads as sad as this one...
Cheers,
Nic
ps. Sorry if I'm hijacking, Brett.

So Jason, are you saying that a clean enclosure will eliminate the risk altogether, or just minimise it? Are there any other preventative measures we can take?
Also, what are the symptoms to keep an eye out for re Septicemia, prior to the lizard reaching the point of no return, as happened with Tony?
This thread has made me realise that this could happen to anyone's beardy by the sounds of it, regardless of size and health, with little to no warning. As Brett said earlier, Tony was a bit lethargic for a few days, but that is not uncommon prior to a shed, and I have observed this behaviour in my own dragons. Is a regular general check-up at the vet going notice any blood issues?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit worried for all the other lizards / lizard keepers out there! I hate seeing threads as sad as this one...
Cheers,
Nic
ps. Sorry if I'm hijacking, Brett.

Don't be sorry mate, your asking good and related questions that everyone would want to know the answer to. the vet descirbed it as just one of those unfortunate things that happens. as mentioned earlier the disease could have come from the intestines into the blood stream, and Jas has raised another possibility of it entering through cuts. (checked Tony over very well, and myself or the vet couldn't find any wounds on the outside visible by eye).

Jas - Tony was placed on antibiotics on Saturday night (same day i took him there) as soon as the results came in from the blood test. Apparently the pathologist told shane to get a second sample of his blood to look for himself at the advancement of the bacteria and apparently described it as amazing. Shane said where you would normally see 1 or a few of the bacteria, Tony had millions. Shane said these things unfortunately often happen to quick to do anything about. Although tony was placed on the antibiotics straight away after the results, it appears that unfortunately, it was just to late :-(

We use the kitty litter u saw In the tank it's great no or less smell and less cleaning sorry to hear about ur beardie I've lost a few special ones myself heartbreaking at times

Ashme, the last post on this thread was in February 2010.

I'm guessing you've stumbled on to an old thread and didnt realise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back