Killing live rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you hit them firmly on the corner of the bench at the right angle to break their necks you will get a 100% kill rate with the first swing and very little blood. It is never fun but you can get very good at it with very little practice.

its easy to make a gas chamber. heres the ten steps.

1. go to kmart and buy a soda stream machine
2. go to supercheep auto and by some 5mm vacume hose and some decent silicone
3. go to woolies and buy a small sistema container with click clack sides.
4. assemble the soda stream and make a drink.
5. drill a hole in the top of the container for the vacume line to got through
6. seal the hose in the lid with the silicon
7. make another drink with your new soda stream machine
8. once the silcon has dryed put the victims into the container with the hose in it hook it up to the nozel on the soda stream and give it a few pumps.
9. one they have passed out couple more pumps untill the stop breathing
10. then feed or freeze and make another drink for all your hard work.

its easy to make a gas chamber. heres the ten steps.

1. go to kmart and buy a soda stream machine
2. go to supercheep auto and by some 5mm vacume hose and some decent silicone
3. go to woolies and buy a small sistema container with click clack sides.
4. assemble the soda stream and make a drink.
5. drill a hole in the top of the container for the vacume line to got through
6. seal the hose in the lid with the silicon
7. make another drink with your new soda stream machine
8. once the silcon has dryed put the victims into the container with the hose in it hook it up to the nozel on the soda stream and give it a few pumps.
9. one they have passed out couple more pumps untill the stop breathing
10. then feed or freeze and make another drink for all your hard work.

Can the drinks be alcoholic? lol thanks for the advise, when I start breeding I will buy a similar set up!

If you hit them firmly on the corner of the bench at the right angle to break their necks you will get a 100% kill rate with the first swing and very little blood. It is never fun but you can get very good at it with very little practice.

when I used to breed my own rats thats how I dispatched them.
Its a very quick kill much faster than those gas chambers.

As mentioned the easiest, quickest and most humane way is picking them up by the tail and swinging them to hit their head/neck on a hard object. Just dont use to much force and their will be no mess, if you use slightly less force than is required for an instant kill, it should knock them unconscious so they wont be suffering untill you finish them off. With pinkies the best method is just throwing them at a hard surface, it doesnt sound nice but it kills them instantly and i have never had any mess.

CO2 is only better if you are to squemish to kill them with blunt force, if done incorrectly it isnt humane and it also doesnt work well on young rats. Its also a lot of stuffing around and time wasting.

I take mine outside and right on the edge of the porch (cement made) I hold them by the tail and give them a good bang against it, right at the back of the neck. It kills them instantly.

Killing pinkies - imo the easiest way is to pinch very hard behind the head, severs the cord = dead pinky. Our work vet taught me this way.

maybe I should make a machine that keeps the rat in place and cracks their neck.... mmm...$$$

one hand on its tail, one hand on its neck, lift body 45 degrees and give one sharp tug on the tail, at the same time push quickly forward on the neck. if done right the spine is severed. there will be kicking as the nerves still try to fire, but the animal will be dead. takes seconds and is totally free.

i have tryed freezing them before anything other than freshly born pinkies (takes all of 2 mins as they are not yet endothermic) takes a long time to die and i imagine from how much it hurts to hold snow in your bare hand for any length of time it would be quite painful

i have tryed freezing them before anything other than freshly born pinkies (takes all of 2 mins as they are not yet endothermic) takes a long time to die and i imagine from how much it hurts to hold snow in your bare hand for any length of time it would be quite painful

See i thought that too, but if you put your hand in the freezer it's not pain you feel, just cold. I really think rats and mice go in a hibernating stage once their body reaches a certain temperature. And then it falls asleep, it will then eventually die in it's sleep.

Rats and mice came from Europe (the ones we breed at least), where winters hit -10 degrees, every animal in Europe has a hibernating system for when it gets too cold.

Anyway, ether way... it's all killing.
Suffocating kills it, freezing kills it, and crushing it's spine kills it and also kills the soul a little lol

may seem a bit brutal but gently holding the rat or mouse by the tail and throwing them with force against a wall or concrete floor will knock the life out of them in an instant ive tried banging heads against hard edges and havent found it all that effective a full grown rat takes a bit of killing and needs considerable force used when thrown against a wall

I was told that 36 volts on a wet steel plate can stop the hart of a mice and you can do quite a few at once with little stress to the mice. Only what I was told but would be keen to see if anyone eles has heard of this type of quick painless death.

I was told that 36 volts on a wet steel plate can stop the hart of a mice and you can do quite a few at once with little stress to the mice. Only what I was told but would be keen to see if anyone eles has heard of this type of quick painless death.

I love it, where is my car battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back