crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adictv

Reaction score
i had a big tub of crickets and within 2 days all the egg cartons went soggy and all the crickets died i had egg cartons packed up half way up the tub and 4 or 5 carrots in there any ideas b4 i do it again?

my crickets seem to be breeding by itself. it hasnt died in a month. this is what i do. get a lid from a chinese take away container then soak 5-6 cotton balls with water (don't squeeze it just place it on the lid) thats for the water and i give lettuce and carrots for food. i've got 3 of the dozen eggs carton cut up in half so 6 of them and 4 paper towels. thats all with no lid. =)

i have lost tubs of crickets with too much carrot in the container when temps are high now i only use 3 small slices of carrot a day water crystals and dry dog food and havent had a problem since

only give the amount of vegies that they will eat in a day, to much will create moisture and fungal problems

yeah mate, way to much carrot. most say, give them as much carrot as they can eat in 2 day's, 3 at most, or as geckoman said, dailey is even better i suppose. carrot is purely for there moisture requirments as opposed to having water, so use less carrot and add some dry food. Gibblore suggest dog food which works for him, although a rat/mice pellet from pet shops will work great to, that's what i use and they love it.

Also make sure your container is well ventilated, poor air circulation along with high moisture and temp will make them drop pretty quick.

Yeah too many egg cartons wont let air in either and will quickly go soggy. You may need to have less crickets per tub and then you wont need as many eggs cartons. I've also started using empty toilet rolls or paper towel rolls, bend them long ways down the centre and they are great hiding places for the crickets, and they can be stacked a couple high without holding in too much moisture. Plus they're free!

I have been using cuttings from the natives in my gardens as hides, and pack them in there. Its free, doesn't smell, easy to clean, seems to be working really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back