Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D3pro

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well I was browsing the URS website (looking for new heating equipment for winter) and I noticed that their GTP's are only $1400!

So is this the trend? are we going to see our expensive herps drop in price like a ton of bricks been thrown out the Empire state building?

Sure it's great for people that want certain herps but don't have the money for it, but wont this open up the doors too more controversial herps, such as the popular hybrids? A few months ago I saw the relatively new pythons, the rough scales, been sold for $1 500 at Snake ranch, and just now at URS I saw them for only $500.

Maybe I am just paranoid lol, but I was looking forward to spending $4000+ next year on some GTP's, now it looks like I will have enough for them, some albino's, their enclosures.... heck throw in some roughies too... but will they make the same amount of profit (for when I breed them) as they would now? So the price drop has it's cons cause the snakes that currently cost more also make the best return, perfect if your like me and dream of going into a friendly reptile breeding business.

Watch, A load of the best breeder will jump into designer snakes and yes, this means Hybrids... and then what? It seems that we are heading the same way as the Americans, soon to have the government trying to ban the recreational husbandry of pythons.

It's late and it seems like I had 4cents in my pocketm:lol:

D.

Think of it this way, GTPs used to be like $10-15,000 a few years ago xD

Everything's getting much cheaper, it's good and bad imo.

If you are willing to wait you will get better quality animals at a lower price. Being patient is very benificial unless you are out to make money or need to be the one with something only a few thousand others have. That said if you have the money spare now or in the near future go for it, when you consider how long they live for they arnt really that expensive, especially if you get good quality animals and breed them.

I dont plan on buying any pythons for a few more years, then there will be better quality animals around at better value for money.

Bans on pythons in the USA are for 2 main reasons, 1st is the detrimental ecological impact of exotics species and 2nd is human deaths from large snakes (or maybe the other way around). Although we have a fair few species available here that can kill, we dont have anything near the size of burmese pythons and retics(well not legally anyway). Breeding hybrids and other designer snakes would have little impact on any bans in the USA.

maybe the prices are going down cos the quality is going down too? not being offensive or anything

Pretty sure it's just supply and demand.

Say for example (these aren't facts) ten years ago there were two people breeding GTPs, then they sold 15 hatchies each, a couple of years later there'd probably be 20 people breeding.

Every year there will be more breeding pairs than the last, and the amount of people wanting to buy will stay around the same. So the price has to go down so the breeders can sell all their young.

The more GTPs there are, the cheaper they'll be.

Say for example (these aren't facts) ten years ago there were two people breeding GTPs, then they sold 15 hatchies each, a couple of years later there'd probably be 20 people breeding.

Every year there will be more breeding pairs than the last, and the amount of people wanting to buy will stay around the same. So the price has to go down so the breeders can sell all their young.

Reptiles breed at an exponential rate, the rate of buyers spikes like what you see in an economic spikey graph thing.

where have you been? every second thread has been about this same topic for the last 3 months.

then add to those breeding legit, the australia post breeders.and the market is now flooded.

All the animal hobbies go through the same cycles - the only way to make money from breeding is to be in the early wave of people who are breeding the next big thing. Its exactly the same in the bird and fish worlds too. Some years you get good money for fish that you can barely give away three to five years later.

Just a note mate, never buy animals and expect to make a profit. Many things can pop up before you breed them which will kill that idea, if you need to make a profit take your money and put it in the bank on a good term deposit.

A general rule I noticed the guys OS work by is; whatever you pay for something expect its progeny to be worth 25% of that by the time you breed them, so you will easily make your money back first clutch but you will never make a fortune off easily available creatures. Its a whole different story if you are the first to breed some flash new morph you will probably pay off your house if you play your cards right, but thats a pipe dream at best.

i think its great that the are geting cheaper , as im looking to buy some in the next few months . but on the other hand i would happly pay more for good quality.

Amazing comments. Put your hand up which one of you keeps / breeds or deals in GTP or has degree in economics. This is so typical forum debate spun by armchair experts.
Good laugh for Sunday morning.

agreed waterrat i would like to know that aswell

Amazing comments. Put your hand up which one of you keeps / breeds or deals in GTP or has degree in economics. This is so typical forum debate spun by armchair experts.
Good laugh for Sunday morning.

I don't know where Naledge got the 15K figure, I certainly don't remember hatchlings ever fetching that price ... but, you're the expert!

You know, the funny thing is, those who paid big $$$ for GTPs years ago are not complaining, they are happy people. It's the ones who never got even close to purchasing one that are winging and making clever assessments and predictions.

im actually picking up my first GTP today. i paid 1750 for it, but to be honest ive wanted one for so long that i would of happily paid twice that much. again im not getting one to breed or make money, im getting one because i think they a beautiful species....

I don't know where Naledge got the 15K figure, I certainly don't remember hatchlings ever fetching that price ... but, you're the expert!

You know, the funny thing is, those who paid big $$$ for GTPs years ago are not complaining, they are happy people. It's the ones who never got even close to purchasing one that are winging and making clever assessments and predictions.

Agreed, There seem to be a habbit of late for people that cant have any of the top end animals wanting to talk the price down.

Im one that payed a lot more than they are now and i still would pay thousands for a incredible animal like a beautiful gtp.

Is anyone else sick to death of people going on and on and on about money? At the end of the day stuff sells for what it is worth. Morph this, investor that, tug on this and tug on that.

Is anyone else sick to death of people going on and on and on about money? At the end of the day stuff sells for what it is worth. Morph this, investor that, tug on this and tug on that.

Read the opening post. The person was asking money related question and he got money related answers.
Anyone sick of hobby this and hobby that, everything should be for nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back