Step by step guide to fake rock backgrounds and hides etc

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone in Brisbane/SE Qld wants styrofoam, let me know. Ive got a huge amount that I need to get rid of. They are very large pieces (I can cut them to suit) that would need a ute/trailer or at least the ability to fit into a car with fold-down seats etc.
Free.
Located in Norman Park, 10mins SE of Brisbane CBD.
PM if interested.

Hey guys, I have stumbled on a goldmine in the form of polystryrine, I have been using a similar method of this guide for years and it works fantastic, though getting decent foam can be dificult and expensive! I used to get it through Clark rubber at aprox $14 per sheet 1090x1090x30mm it gets expensive on large enclosures when u need to layer it up. If you live in or around Sydney get in contact with the guys at "waffle pod people" in kings park Sydney. They have mass amounts of polystyrine very cheep! A 1090x1090x100mm sheet will set u back $9.00 they have huge blocks for $45 aswell but the 100 mm pieces are a good size to work.

This is one I built for my fish - I can't wait to have a go at building one for my beardies! :D

Attachments

• P5160306.jpg
    P5160306.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 249
I'm very new here and can't seem to see most of the pics in this thread, they just say "photo deleted or moved from photobucket" any tricks on seeing all these pics? it seems like such an informative thread I really wanna see the pics!
cheers
Rob

there not on photobucket anymore, i think thats the reason, i cant see them either?

Yeah, they appear to of been moved or deleted. As this is a sticky, can I suggest they are updated?
Would be helpfull.

:D

grout stage.

This is what i have come up with so far,lots of fun carving at the foam with a stanley knife the the blow tourch gave it a great rock effect, looks like the coating process will take some time though,not sure to use oxides or paint for colour as yet.cost so far polystyrine and liquild nails $20:D

Attachments

• DSC04313.jpg
    DSC04313.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC04312.jpg
    DSC04312.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC04310.jpg
    DSC04310.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC04311.jpg
    DSC04311.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 189
I asked Target if they could spare me some waste foam, for a model of Ularu that my so was doing for a school project, (ok a small lie).

They were very helpful.

There are different densities of foam. I find that the stuff used for fruit & veg boxes to be a little too dense to be able to shape effectively.

Have a go. It is not hard to get a great result. Also try a small prototype feature to start with so you get a feel for what works, (e it can be difficule getting a cood coat into some crevices and caves, also rocks tend to have a grain from sedement and wear that will give your background a more naturl look).

I was wondering if you have to use grout? I was thinking of just painting the the foam with PVA and then painting what ever colour.

And I cant find grout at bunnings, what are the brand names of it?

finished my backgound

hey ppl here is my complete enclosure background,beside the sealing coats,the first coat was cement and render mix i had lying around in the shed i made a 1:1 mix very runny,brushed it on ,takes time.with the 2nd coat my mate gave me a product called combextra c , used in constructon and form work side of things,mixed this with water till sloppy added some colour oxides and a good wack of pva glue,and wow this drys rock hard again takes time to apply.
the third and last coat ,as no way i require any more coats its like a (brick)was much the same as the second but changed the colour oxide mix to give a colour gradient,i was chasing the kimberly red colour for my enclosure,i would have avoided cement if ihad my hands on the combextra c ,next some sealing coats im thinking watered down pva glue in spray bottle,anyways hope this may help some one . :D

Attachments

• 1st coat thin cement.jpg
    1st coat thin cement.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 2nd coat pasty conbextra c and oxide colour.jpg
    2nd coat pasty conbextra c and oxide colour.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 3rd,final coat, pasty conbextra c with oxide colour.jpg
    3rd,final coat, pasty conbextra c with oxide colour.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 185
  • this is good stuff.jpg
    this is good stuff.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 133
  • the encloser so far 1200(L)x1200(960 up to mesh)Hx600(W).jpg
    the encloser so far 1200(L)x1200(960 up to mesh)Hx600(W).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
what snake is that in the background of the 5th pic? i've never seen anything like it? like the rock wall btw.

That is priceless. You are all very talented people. I am new to snakes and have search all over the internet for a background to put in my enclosure when I get it home. I will have to make a trip to bunnings to purchase items and the cheap shops for the others. I would love to be able to get some of the polystyrene if it is still available. I have pm'd.
Cool toy snake my son has one similar.

Couple more pics of finished back ground ,test fit in enclosure.now to find some fake vines :)then complete the rest of the box.

Attachments

• yes it fits..jpg
    yes it fits..jpg
    64 KB · Views: 138
  • hmmm,.jpg
    hmmm,.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 138
Your fake snake looks very happy with your fake rock.

I am sure that he is looking foward to the addition of some fake vines.

Are you planning on using fake grass by any chance ?

just wanting to know as I dont have any fake rocks etc ... if you have snakes that like to make toileting habits a career , and spray it all over the place ,just to make my job harder , how simple is it to clean off the fake wall?>..can you use water and spray it off or will that wreck your wall?>....some of the tighter crevises seem to hard to get a good cleaning cloth in so was just wondering...

i dont make tight little crevices for that very reason, and i seal all mine with 'pondtite' it makes them shiney, but its a small price to pay for easy cleaning,

Your fake snake looks very happy with your fake rock.

I am sure that he is looking foward to the addition of some fake vines.

Are you planning on using fake grass by any chance ?
lol,fake grass what a good idea,i was going for marine carpet any sugestions? Oh yeh will be having a real snake also :)not sure how the cleaning of background will go if i sealed it well enough ill pull it out and hose it down on the lawn when needed :) as it will be removable otherwise make another one with less cracks and crevises in if it is a major prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back