need help in researching..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

contos

Reaction score
for my geography i have to research a problem or issue relating to a subject of my choice. im going with reptiles and a species loss of habitat, loss of range, urban impact etc. does anyone know of an interesting case like this that i can find, go to and document the problem. anywhere around my area is fine (lane cove N.P, stringy bark reserve). ive got two terms to complete it. expert help needed :) thanks

Does it have to be your area? If not have a look at the burms in the everglades, or the boigas in Guam as invasive species creating problems for other reptile species etc.

definitly in my area. i need to go there take photos/ talk to the council and all that
any ideas?

Hi there, I work in Lane Cove National Park so I might be able to help. The park is really an island of habitat surrendered by the urban sea. As you may be aware the park basically goes ridge line to ridge line up the valley to pen. hills. If you look into the history of the park and see old photos you'll see what habitat is there now is mostly regrowth. It has a rich history of logging. The park's wildlife have a number of threats, being a small area it is very suspectable to outside influences. You have pollution, cats, weeds coming in from neighboring gardens and major areas taken over, dumping of rubbish etc etc. One of the big sucesses although not directly reptiles is the Southern Brown Bandicoot making a big come back since fox baiting started. This in turn gives the diamonds something to eat.

thanks for that mate. is the badicoot story still an issue or has it all steady? i still need some help as i dont have a specific issue to discuss. would the council have records on location/abundance of a species in a reserve? i need a place thats relatively small, threatened and has records on what it used to be like. thanks

Its still an issue. Oddly enough someone told me the park didnt have as many water dragons as it does now, Id imagine the foxes would have got into them too.

ok ill give you guys a call this week and ask for further info
thanks for that

yes the intersting case is the broadheaded snake in the sydney basin,and there is a lot of intersting studies done on it.
I attended a lecture on sydneys herpetofauna and what has survived and what areas species have become extinct in that where there originally.
Most snake species have fared poorly especialy the Tiger snake,but nobody knows why they have declined and similar species such as black snakes ,have not declined as much in the same habitiat.
I would go with the broadhead though,they once dwelt in lanecove NP,and there is good info

sounds good
i do tafe at taronga zoo and im talking to the head of reptiles and he suggested the same thing
either that or the fox problem :S so why exactly has the sydney broad headed snake declined so much? is it habitat loss? ill look more into it but thanks for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back