Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffa1967

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Have had my first snake, a Bredli for 5 weeks, I think he's awesome, although even for a yearling and a Bredli which is known as a placid breed, he still makes me a little nervous when trying to handle him ... it's the eyes :shock:
My query for any of you who have had snakes for a while is his sleeping habit, its all he does. My kids think he's a waste of money as all he does is sleep, is this normal? He really only gets active in the evening when i turn his light off and the room is dark, the only light is the computer monitor, I sneak back in 5 minutes after turning off his light and he has slid up onto his hide and seems to be watching the computer screensaver. Will this pattern change as he gets older? is he not comfortable yet? can snakes sense their handlers uneasyness? any thoughts, insights, ideas, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Although I'm not quite sure what your kids expected. If they wanted a pet that they could play with, perhaps you should have got a puppy...

lol they think hes a waste of money.:lol:

snakes hide,alot,even in the wild.This is what makes them suitable for captivity.They are a different "pet" to a dog,cat or something more entertaining as they are companion aniamls,snakes are not so much a companion animal although some individuals seem to like being around people,they are just a beautiful creature to admire :D

mine get really active after theyve pooed out their last meal and are hoping for their next,..

aside from that i guess they could be described as boring as bat crap, lol,...i still love em to bits tho! :)

Cheers, just as I thought ..... Jessb we have a dog, 2 Beardies, 20 odd fish in a pond, 4 rats, rabbits and guinea pigs, that's the problem, they all do "stuff" kids expected a circus act I think lol.
I have taken out his hide and he's slithering around now, kids see that and wonder why he's not like it all the time, they will understand, hopefully we have a lot of years together to get to understand their habits.

imo

try wiring up a red nocturnal light so u can view easily at night and it does not disturb them while roaming..

and often it looks like they are sleeping but they are just chillin out..otherthing is he "staying" in one spot only?..maybe the temp gradient is not enough to warrant him moving around.but yer at 2.00am..mine all go walkiess lol

I have taken out his hide and he's slithering around now.

well thats one way to do it i spoze, but i have to admit that is somthing i would have not done as now you have taken away his security blanket / safe haven and his attertude might even change from stress

yes hes to young give it back to him m8,he's not checking out his tank..hes stressing.;)

Attachments

• fmly.jpg
    fmly.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 42
His hide was only removed for about half an hour while I changed his water and had a clean up in his enclosure, it was just as soon as it came out he started roaming, was happy for me to be in and out changing water and fixing up the paper he had got under, I didn't remove it to try and get him moving, but thanks for the concern. Good point from schizmz, he may well just be chillin, I guess the kids do it alot too in front of the TV, I may point that out to them next time they say "he's a waste of money" :)

I was thinking the exact same thing when I got my first little Murray Darling Carpet, but you soon learn to accept that when young they will hide, hide and hide some more. My MD still is never out all of the time, but my olive is now giving me something to look at :) Some still tuck away even when they are adults, but a large portion will get comfortable and be much happier to sit out under their lamp or on their mat etc than when young. Snakes just hide mate, it's what they do !

Yeah I have 2 bredlis, my little man is still in a click clack but my girl is in her big enclosure now and she spends a fair bit of time in her hide but also loves climbing her tree and sleeping there. So people do still get to see her (still usually chilling), and she's always cruising around when it starts to get dark too.

one of my bredlis is always out unless it has been fed :) its the same with my adult coastals aswell

one of my bredlis is always out unless it has been fed its the same with my adult coastals aswell
Both my Bredli are the same. They virtually spend their entire time in their climbing branches, they usually sleep there, then at night moving a short way to "S up" for hunting. My male also coils up on top of one of his hides, not in it. They usually only hide after a feed or when coming up to a slough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back