Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1stsnakewanted

Reaction score
hey everyone,
just wondering if i can get some advice... i have never owned a snake before but am really hoping on getting one soonish... i REALLY have my heart set on having a water python and i think i know where i can get one etc...
do you think it is crazy of me to be getting a water python as my first snake? (as lots of people have been telling me) or should i just go ahead and see what happens? are they really as terrible to keep and as aggressive as i have been told?
everyone i ask tells me that i should only get a childrens or a spotted... but as i said i would really love a water python...
anyway... i've been going on for long enough, any thoughts or advice would be great.
cheers,
Maddy

i dont no anything about water pythons but im getting a bredli as my first snake in March

as long as you have the room for a water python go ahead!
their like any other snake, more along the lines of an olive.
some will be very gentle n docile, and some will strike at anything that moves.

if your heart is set on getting a water python by all means get it. but make sure that you have read every book and asked everyone on how to take care of it properly. i wanted to get a woma for my first snake and i ended up getting a spotted python and it's different. you're not as satisfied as getting the snake that you wanted in the first place. but now i have both and i like them very much. =)

Yeah water pythons are crazy snakes! :rolleyes:

If you want a water python then get a water python :)

Thanks heaps everyone!!!
Mattsnake: is crazy good or bad ? :p and is the snake in the pic yours? he/she is beautiful!

Thanks heaps everyone!!!
Mattsnake: is crazy good or bad ? :p and is the snake in the pic yours? he/she is beautiful!

My waters are all very placid...best snakes I own. The pics are of my younger brother holding a 2yr old female of mine, she was the spawn of satan when I got her as a hatchling but now she is the most puppy-dog-tame snake in my collection and I would trust her with anybody.

alot of people recomend the smaller snakes like childrens and maculosa as a first time snake but some times just the fact that their so small can be a hand full especially if your getting a juvenile, my mac is probably the biggest pain in my collection! I'd always recomend something of the woma, carpet or water python size for a first snake and if waters are what you really want then go for it! I wouldn't get something you dont want thats just a problem waiting to arise and could put you off the whole thing! as long as you understand the animals and their needs and requirements (as with any) I think they'd be a great introduction to snake keeping for you

she was the spawn of satan when I got her as a hatchling but now she is the most puppy-dog-tame snake in my collection and I would trust her with anybody.
just wondering, was there anything in particular that you did that calmed her down? or did it just happen with age?

YAY!! i now have a very beautiful 4 month old water she is the calmest thing ever and hasn't bitten me once =DD

congrats you did the right thing. never settle for something you don't want otherwise you'll regret it. put pics up when you get a chance.

nice work glad you ended up getting what you wanted, as others have said would love to see some pics

Glad you got your baby,my 1st was a jungle and she's a complete sweetheart...pics?? 8)

yer i got one tooo
mines a little feisty one hahaha
should calm down soon though in a few months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back