BEST NEWS for years.... long live flavipuncata

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great news, hopefully they will be able to rediscover a few more 'extinct' species. In the past few years they have found Litoria lorica as well. Species like Taudactylus eungellensis were thought to be extinct as well but are now doing quite well - shows to never give up hope!

Aaron

Wow that is an amazing find! They really have survived all this time, lets hope the Taronga captive breeding program sees a thriving artificial colony.

Hopefully, but they were saying it is likely the frogs already have chytrid but have developed some kind of resistance to it. But nevertheless there are plenty of other pathogens that could be introduced to that site which could wipe them out. Hopefully these researchers have learnt from the mistakes of the past....

Aaron

Hopefully, but they were saying it is likely the frogs already have chytrid but have developed some kind of resistance to it.Hopefully these researchers have learnt from the mistakes of the past....

Aaron

doesn't sound like if if they are saying things like probably have chytrid lol.... bit of "she'll be right" ethics... they should grab some tadpoles and fence it off to keep themselves out and set and forget....

This is great news, i missed the 7.30 report last night.
Was it any good?
The land owner seems happy about the find,I hope he does fence it off for a few years Jason.
I hope we see some more population comebacks with the recent rains.

Is its name Litoria castanea, or did they split them up? Cant find any information on the name "flavipuncata"

Is its name Litoria castanea, or did they split them up? Cant find any information on the name "flavipuncata"

A few years ago the name Litoria castanea referred to the frogs which occurred from the central tablelands to the southern highlands. And L. flavipunctata referred to the frogs restricted to the New England region of NSW. However, it was later concluded that these frogs were the same species and Litoria flavipunctata became synomised with L. castanea.

Aaron

It is greats news that they have been rediscovered. Hopefully, more 'extinct' frogs will be in future years.

The population does have chytrid and appears to be surviving with it, though it is too early to tell.

The area has deliberately been kept secret to prevent people from accessing it and potentially spreading pathogens. The researchers have applied the strictest quarantine protocols at the site. The problem more lies with other people, including frog enthusiasts, who may attempt to locate the site. This is happened with other restricted threatened amphibians sites not long ago and posed a risk to some species.

I hope they rediscover more species..... but to those who keep frogs.... look after them cause you never know... you maybe the person that saves a species.....

The area has deliberately been kept secret to prevent people from accessing it and potentially spreading pathogens. The researchers have applied the strictest quarantine protocols at the site. The problem more lies with other people, including frog enthusiasts, who may attempt to locate the site. This is happened with other restricted threatened amphibians sites not long ago and posed a risk to some species.

In that case they already failed. Just yesterday I was told the exact location of the site. The site is reasonably protected being on private property but like always Ill be more concerned about whats happening up stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back