Aquarium/Fish People

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilefan95

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here's the deal, i have recently gotten really into Nano Planted and Nano Marine Tanks, and im going to be setting mine up soon.

The tank i have is a 45cm square. I have great lighting, good filtration and i can get anything else i need from the Aquarium i work at....

The thing is i am having trouble deciding if i should setup a nice Nano planted with some Crystal Red Shrimp and a pair of Apistogrammas ( i will also try to propegate some rarer plants)..
Or if i should setup a nano marine tank, with a bit of live rock and maybe one or two corals, and an orchid dottyback....

So what do you Aquarium people think? What is more fun? And which style of tank do you like?

Thanks~!!

If you can get a captive bred dottyback of AI then go for it , I woulden't put a wildcaught one in that ( bad karma!) and the Apostogramma will LOVE eating all the CRS. I Woulkd go the marine with CB dottyback.

Screw marine nemo can find himself, I would go fresh i have a lot of fun with different types of anbus taking cutting's and making my own driftwood creations, and theres nothing better than watching american ciclids tend their young.

Aussie native freshwater, some blue eyes or galaxias. And bumble bee or desert gobies.

def the freshwater!!! so much more varity, cheaper and eaiser to look after. im not a fan of marine tanks due to the way these fish are wild caught but thats my opinion.
i have a shrimp tank atm. have cherry's, tiger, zebra and blue glass!! i have them in one of my live baerers tanks and it looks great :)

If you go for salt water i would suggest getting an angler fish, they are awesome. Although i dont know where to buy them or a place to reliably catch them.

Depending on where you live you could probably catch a range of suitable freshwater critters such as gobies, gudgeons, shrimp, crabs, crayfish and other small lifeforms. Most native fish are pretty tough and often handle a wide range of water conditions. Apistogrammas are pretty cool, one of the few exotics i have kept, although i killed mine somehow after a few months, one was in bad condition when i got it and they are pretty sensitive to water quality.

A tidal type setup would also be worth considering, blennies would be cool in a small tank as well as tidal species of what i mentioned for freshwater.

Set up whatever you want to set up, it is you that has to look at it. Don't just set up a tank because everyone else thinks it is cool.

I've personally got a fresh water tank set up with a bunch of different bristlenose and a ghost knife. It's just so easy to look after! But that's just my opinion lol

If you have the time and money to set up and look after a marine tank, and that's what YOU want to do, then i say go for it. Do a little bit of research though so you know what you can and can't have regarding tank size and whether or not the fish and plants you want are compatible together.

love the look of a marine tank with live rock and corals, but with a small tank heat could be an issue and you could end up with a dead tank. have found that having a planted marine tank only really works when you have a larger tank

Why dont you go a nice little tanganyikan cichlid setup. You could easily fit some nice Neolamprologus Multifasciatus in there and have them breed like mad.

There are plenty of other shell dwelling tang cichlids that could go in that tank. Some sand and some shells and there you have it.

Or a pair of Neolamprologus Leleupi. They are a very nice fish.

Cameron

I used to be a fish person, had fresh water. Gotta love the cichlids. I had jewels that had babies without me even trying or knowing for that matter. So cute when they're little! A lot of attitude and entertainment!!

Any more suggestions, ive got a mate who can help me out with a planted tank,

Any pictures?

?? Ive got a sort of a sstocking list, dwarf chilli rasobars, CRS, Bee shrimp and i have quite a list of plants

Go freshwater :) I used to have a mini south american tank. It was just awesome.

Nano tanks are a real pain!!! The bigger the tank the better. I had both. The nano is really hard to keep cool as mini chillers cost a fortune. You will have problems with cynobacteria and algae blooms. You have to be really onto it for it to actually work. My 4x2x2 had next to no problems for over 4years. I would suggest a fish only system if you are doing the nano.

Reptiles are so much easier....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back