Keeping a beardie in a 3ft tank for life?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OReilly

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wonering if keeping a beardie in a 3foot tank for life would be bad for it? I'm in the enclosure stage of getting my beardie and am trying to decide what to get. A 3 foot tank i can start it straight off in and it takes up less space in my room and is cheaper and cosier.
If i make plenty of things for it to climb up it wouldn't be too bad would it?

lol... i'm struggling to fit 4 foot in my room... i'd have to make some form of extension to my 3 foot chest of drawers OR get one that is considerably high and has a platform at the top in it.

I want something with some size on it. Not something tiny. I CAN fit a 4 foot i have a 2 foot cabinet thing next to my chest of drawers but its about 15cm shorter than the chest of drawers so all i need to do is make the cabinet a bit higher by putting something solid on top of it to make the difference.

No, a four foot is better. 90cm will be ok for a little while, but they need sufficient ground space. Think about three in a 1800mm tank that is tons of space.

how long does it take for them to reach full length or close to it?

So a 90cm should be fine for just 1 right?
No it is not...

I want something with some size on it.
Then give him what he needs... more room... Don't buy a dragon unless you have the proper housing for him. A 90cm tank will be big enough for about 6 months, thats it.

Look at the length of a full grown beardie, it should have a least 3 times that length for the enclosure as a minimum. A 3 foot simply isn't big enough for a full size beardie. If you want to have a small 3 foot enclosure then perhaps you should look at something smaller such as a Pygmy beardie or netted dragon. I keep single pygmys in enclosures that are 1000 x 500 x 500. Hopefully that gives you a better idea of sizing.

I have two Centrals in a 1200 Viv, (seperated by a glass pane).

Honestly my guys could live in a 50 x 50 tank. They sit in the same spot night and day, every day, regardless of heat light water or food.

The only time that they 'might' move is when I put in a digging container filled with walnut shell.

Lazy sods.

I have two Centrals in a 1200 Viv, (seperated by a glass pane).

Honestly my guys could live in a 50 x 50 tank. They sit in the same spot night and day, every day, regardless of heat light water or food.

The only time that they 'might' move is when I put in a digging container filled with walnut shell.

Lazy sods.

So you mean your beardies live in 60cm each Tinky?

You could keep one alive in a 10litre tub if you wanted.....doesn't mean you should or that is would do as well as one in a large well maintained enclosure..

m8 get on ebay buy a 6 foot tank for cheap and spoil your "new family member"..;)

Attachments

• fmly.jpg
    fmly.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 25
you really need 4x2x2 enclosure minimum. i had my ackies in a 4x2x2, they grow the same sizes as beardies, but i found it was way to small. mine are now in a 6x2x3. and i still think thats to small.

depending on where you live an out door enclosure MIGHT be okay, not all year round.

4x2x2 is the minimum and i think its tiny to keep any reptile in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back