Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depth of water should not effect humidity . Humidity should be more dependant on water sureface area which will not change with depth.

Hi Andy. How can you say it was a lack of humidity in the tub that caused the egg death? QUOTE]

Hey CP,
1st of all, Im in no way trying to offend anyone, the tubs work well if used properly.
Its MY fault for putting the eggs in there and leaving them for that long without checking on them.
Im comfortable and very confidant in saying that the 7 eggs died due to lack of humidity, simple they had dried out ( ZERO condensation in the tubs).
They were candled and all were fertile, so I left them.
When I checked them again over a week later, all the eggs around the edges of the SIM tub were dried out and crusty, the ones closer to the centre were a little sunken but by putting the moist paper towl over the top, then the lid back on, they have plumped back up and are doing well ( the 99% humidity was after I put the paper towel in).
As my girl doubled clutched this year, Im using the paper towl with the 2nd clutch (2nd tub), those 14 eggs are doing great.

Ive got 10 of the SIM tubs and not one lid fits as it should.
With the 8 spare tubs I have atm.
Ive been trying all different water levels, placing vermiculite in some, useing different temps, even different incubators.
Bottom line is, the only way I can get condensation built up in them, is by placing glad wrap or moist paper towel over the top before placing the lid back on.

For some reason all 10 of mine dont build up humidity with just the SIM tub alone.
I will still use all 10 of mine, as I realy like the movable rails and keeping the eggs raised off the water/vermiculite.
I will just use them with glad wrap or paper towel from now on.
Cheers Andy.

Hi Andy, have you read this thread? If you warm the lid in a microwave for 15 seconds it becomes pliable. You can even use boiling water on the lid to make it soft. I have hatched more than 200 carpet pythons in these tubs this season and have not had any issues with them holding humidity. I am not just saying this as I am the distributor of the product, I am saying this because I know they dont lose humidity. Your hygrometer will not read humidity if there is none. It bothers me that you are having issues, especially when you got ten of the tubs. Its pointless having to modify the tub to get it to work. Can you post a photo of your incubator, hygrometer and tubs. I would like to see how you have them set up.

I thought I would ad some photos of my incubator with the hygrometers and their readings clearly visible. I also use the Microclimate ADCS 2 thermostat. This thermostat can use 4 probes and can maintain the average temperature between the probes. You can see them shoved under the lids of the tubs. And they still kept their humidity even with this cable lifting the lid up slightly. My thermometers are dual thermometers with a built in hygrometer. I drilled a big hole in the lid of one container per level within the incubator. All the tubs on a level should have the same temeperature.
DSC02482-1.jpg

DSC02459-1.jpg

DSC02461-1.jpg

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02487-1.jpg

DSC02518.jpg

DSC02548-1.jpg

Notice the humidity inside the tubs. Also note that all those lizard eggs candled fertile, yet some died a few weeks in. Sometimes eggs just dont go full term.

Hi CP - a great product by the looks. Just wondering why the need for the vermiculite in the bottom of the containers? Would the tubs work equally as well with just water substrate in the bottom of the tub? Thanks...

When I use the product I use vermiculite too - only because I'm clumsy and I'd splash the eggs if I didn't have a medium to soak it up a bit. Works just as well with no medium. Sorry if I stole your thunder CP!! :)

Has anybody tried doing gecko eggs in the Sim tubs yet?

Hi all, sorry for the late response. There are a few threads on this forum about the tubs. As some of you may know development costs for a product like this run in the tens of thousands of dollars. The first potoype has been manufactured and is still being fine tuned. It will fit 2 of the original grids next to each other and the tub walls are tapered so they can be stacked inside each other. I have been told by the manufacturer that the bigger tub will be available for the southern hemisphere breeding season later this year. These tubs are also being manufactured in a non clear cheaper version with the same see through lid. Breeders have a choice of see through tub or a cheaper non see through version. The original size sim was designed to hatch lizard eggs.

I hatched four pilbara levis eggs in mine. Used vermiculite and water. I only put two clutches in as i didn't have confidence in the tub. Will put all the eggs in tubs next season. Had no problems with humidity. Incubator temp was set at 28deg C.

This tub has been out of the incubator for two weeks and put into a cupboard. These pics were taken minutes ago. There is still condensation in the lower part of the tub. Don't know whether it is visible in pics.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 87
These are the four pilbs hatched in the tub. Please excuse the quality of the pics as they were taken on my mobile.

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 64
You don't need to fill it up to the fill line. I used 100ml of water in each of my last few tubs and hatched 35 centralian carpets like that.

with 100ml in the tubs. how much did u have to top it up with, throughout incubation?

tens of thousand in design and production and they couldnt work out to make them stackable. think il hold out for the new ones

bkevo: There is actually a small ridge on the inside of the tub that holds the grid in place. It is also this ridge that prevents them from being stacked. I think I'll consult with you about the design next time. Thanks for the insight.

no worries.
as you said mate. tens of thousand of dollars,
yet they couldnt work it out the first time. take a strole down a bunnings isle and every tub, container or box sits in the next.
CP. im not having a go. merly stating some designers are clearly over paid

no worries. as you said mate. tens of thousand of dollars, yet they couldnt work it out the first time. CP. im not having a go. merly stating some designers are clearly over paid

brendon, I think its actually the cost of the moulds for the tubs that would cost tens of thousands of dollars. I've spoken to people that have had moulds done for hides and it costs a fortune to get these made.up.

will be very interested to see the new larger sim tubs CP. any idea when you will have some pics of these bigger tubs including the non clear ones? are they basically the same as the smaller ones, only bigger to take two grids side by side? or has there been any other changes made in the bigger version?

any rough idea of the month you will have them in stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back