What other Species will cohabbitate with Green Tree Frogs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cidden

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I set up a massive enclosure (almost 1m L ,1m H, 0.5m W) for my 4 GTF well over a year now with intentions of filling it with other species. I have been told I could comfortably fit 15-20 GTF in there, I have also asked about other species of frogs lizards or anything else that might be able to cohabbitate. Just wanting some more advice to back up what I have already been told. I know magnificents, and white lips can go in there, Red Eyes providing they cant fit in anyone elses mouth (Red eyes are risky I know, and don't think I would consider) I was also lead to belive that water skinks, Boyds forest Dragons and Angle Heads would all do well. Is there anything anyone can suggest to put in the water, other than boring fish!! I aim to have a little forest in my lounge room. :)
P.S. I Certainly don't want to overcroud or have every species that might cohabitate live there, just want to know my options.

I wouldnt risk the redeyes but maybe turtles if the waters deep enough. Duno bout the dragons, they might eat the frogs. If it doesnt fir in they're mouth and they don't fit in the others mouths then i guess its ok but i reckon a dragon could slice a frog up pretty easy by accident. i reckon just keep species of frogs.

Lots of things can be kept with GTFs, though you should have experience with keeping the species seperately first. Some GTF don't grow really large and tend to be not as aggressive feeders, others are tanks and eat anything they can fit into their mouths. I have kept redeyes with GTFs and they were doing fine untill I was given a large GTF that started eating all the smaller frogs. I have also kept them in an outdoor enclosure with various Agamids and Skinks, and have seen them kept with large pythons.

That is a very small enclosure for mixing species, fish are probably the best suited, are you suggesting all fish are boring or do you just think some are boring? Tree frogs are hopeless at catching fish, most types that wont eat the frogs are suitable. Most aquatic life forms should be OK, although not a good idea if you want to breed the frogs.

In a large enclosure Scrub Pythons are a good choice(not joking either). There are heaps of animals you can keep with tree frogs, but mixing species should be avoided unless you have enough experience to fully understand, eliminate and/or control any potential risks.

Jimbobulan, I agree, I wouldn't risk red eye's, just mentioning I have seen it done(usually with a sad end). I assumed turtles or even yabbies would bite the frogs toes. The water is deep enough and I had considered them but was worried about the frogs being hurt. The dragons, many people have told me, breaders included, said these dragons although large live with no dramas with the tree frogs. I totally understand being cautious, I have Golden Bell frogs also, housed seperatly even though their similar size. As these frogs in the wild hunt and eat other frogs, and will eat 3 or 4 tree frogs in one night... Not going to risk it!!
Cris, I'm not saying all fish are boring, they are very usefull in the setup I have, keep the scum and filth down, plus add movement and colour to the bottem. Just thinking maybe there was something else I could keep also. My GTF have eaten gold fish before if the water is shallow enough and they can pin them in the corner. Might look more into these snakes, I've heard that before... TOTALLY agree with being experianced, wouldn't throw them all in together withought keeping seperate first, and fully informed. Wanted to know what critters to consider.
Thanks for the advice

could I keep and axalotle in the bottom??? Anyone had any experiance with that, They are a bit agressive but then so are turtles and yabbies

hi there just letting you no. i no other people have said that having red eyes and gtf's are not recomended but that being said i got a red eye in my enclosure with with 5 other gtf's and 1 magnificent. now i did get them all around the same age so they have grown up together. so in reality its like any other animal i belive, they grow up together they become good mates. dont quote me on it i may just have a few very happy frogs that all like each other

i dont think that the angle headeds do well in higher humidity enclosures, and i would check on that with the boyds too. make sure the general husbandry matches up. Pythons were suggested here earlier, and i know someone who keeps frogs and pythons in the same enclosure and it works out great for them, as pythons tend to eat warm blooded prey, but also can be known to eat anything, so i suggest maybe picking the python you put in there, maybe putting a picky-eater in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back