Eastern Brown Bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
certainly doesn't sound like the human gene pool would actually suffer much of a loss if this bloke doesn't wake up tomorrow morning and I certainly don't think the herp world would be any worse off if idiots like this never kept a venemous snake again.
Reminds me of that bloke up in Nth Qld a few years ago who used to like getting his fierce snakes out for a play each time he was drunk. His name escapes me but it would be a miracle if he's still alive

This is my friend .... show a little compassion even if you have no respect!!

I agree with bushfire & splitmore on this subject...

Sounds to me like he was being careless & should not be allowed to own vens!!

Garthy, stop wasting time on this thread and go check on your friend if you can possibly do so. Defending him on here comes to nothing if he dies, if you get my drift.

While i would admit this is stupid, if you dont do stupid things while drunk it defeats the purpose of getting wasted. That said IMO if you are wasted you shouldnt drive or handle deadly snakes (or other things that kil you easily). Try hedge diving or punching things that wont break, that way you wont risk stupid legislation against keeping Elapids or other potentialy dangerous reptiles.

I just hope the press doesnt get onto this and cause trouble for other responsible keepers.

Hey Garthy, is your mate the same guy who is in the news for getting bitten? They said he was a snake handler...?

While i would admit this is stupid, if you dont do stupid things while drunk it defeats the purpose of getting wasted. That said IMO if you are wasted you shouldnt drive or handle deadly snakes (or other things that kil you easily). Try hedge diving or punching things that wont break, that way you wont risk stupid legislation against keeping Elapids or other potentialy dangerous reptiles.

I just hope the press doesnt get onto this and cause trouble for other responsible keepers.

is everyone assuming he was rotten drunk???? all i said was beers n vens dont mix! I believe he had a few beers (dont know how many) and we know what the cops say about a couple of beers and how they affect your gross motor skills. lets not slam the bloke if we dont know the full story huh?

I think first and foremost everyone here wishes the guy has a speedy recovery and no harm done. But once that is confirmed then we to ask the big questions not only of this guys actions but the circumstances of all bites to keepers. The reasoning is that as elapid keeping has high risks and mistakes can have a lasting impact on not just family and friends but can have a rippling affect to other keepers (similar to other high risk activities). I and I'm sure others feel that all it will take is for one keeper to die from his pet captives or/and the family to sue a wildlife agency and we will lose that legal avenue to keep elapids. Its this fear that has everyone so condemning.

This is my friend .... show a little compassion even if you have no respect!!
I agree to a point but if he has no respect for himself how do you expect others to respect him.
He is damaging our rights to keep these animals by being silly and disrespectful to the snake.
In saying that some things shouldf not go on a website like the comments about your friend and him waking up.

P.S. The guy in QLD did live and still has his snakes. Once again playing with snakes while drunk. Hurting everyone here.

Guys, everybody makes mistakes...there's no real excuse for this guys behaviour once in hospital (or his actions that lead to him ending up in there), but none-the-less it's a human life.

Garthy - as has been said, there's still a real possibility of things going pear-shaped for your mate, so do your best to make sure he gets help. But I guess, you can lead a horse to water...

You know ..in all truth ,maybe GORDO (waruikazi) was right ,maybe he didnt want to be saved and thought this would be a better option to go down with then say hanging or something like that ..to not want an ambulance after knowing you had been bitten twice on the face (as was said ,probably one of the worst places to be bitten) I feel he may have wanted to end it and is ticked off that someone intervened ..I would say he knows the outcome from leaving hospital early ,but due to his rash thinking doesnt care ...Garthy ,I am sorry your mate feels like that and hope you can reach him before something else happens ...all the best ...

rrb thats going a bit far
I do understand its something that alot dont want to accept ..but his rash behaviour leading from the hospital and after wards is bizarre and not wanting an ambo prior ....I am not being morbid or cruel when I say this ,just pointing out that Gordo may be on the money ....

the guy probably just thinks he is bullet proof as alot of old time keepers do. i think suggesting suicide is just demeaning the guy.

Either way both of the behaviours suggested are extremely self destructive and harmful. Both of them IMO need to be acted upon by friends and family.

OK

I have visited him this morning and he is a little sore and sorry. He knows he has done the wrong thing. He was thankkful for the ambo. He needed to be revived twice. Had the paddles on him both times and today his chest is hurting. The end of his nose is purple and a slight scratch up on his hairline. He does seem generally to be in pretty good health though. They got antivenom into him pretty quick in Muswellbrook hospital. I will continue to check on him and have told him this and of all your concerns. Thanks to those that care and thankyou to those that have aired their concerns regarding ven keepers etc. I have already talked to him regarding your reputations etc and he is well aware of the ramifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back