army career

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluereptile

Reaction score
hey guys
what does everyone think about a career in the army?
as i am thinking about joining when i finish school

To do what?

I've been in the military for the past 14years - 8 years in the RAAF and 6 in the Army. I'm enjoying it :)

go for it.
as a trade or infantry or what?

i am also looking at joining as infantry soon, good to get a service in overseas with the worlds current situation too.

My brother was in the army for four years, he was very athletic and tough.

He didn't really like it, it messed up his knee too so the athleticism was ruined a bit.

My advice would be to do the one year trial, after the year if you want to continue with it then sign up for four years.

theres allways the reserves so you can still have time for your reptiles!
im going to join but i dnt wanna leave my herps!

What kind of physical disability, if you dont mind me asking? It may discount you from joining.

I have an Amazon parrot and Frilled-neck dragon and seem to manage ok... lol. Lots of soldiers have snakes.

my legs and ankles and im flat footed, yeah one of my family members is in the army and he keeps snakes still:)

Mmmm. Sounds like you wont be a good candidate; but don't take my word on it and be discouraged - Give recruiting a call and discuss it with them; they're very helpful and will give you all the current information you need - 131901 or Home | Defence Jobs

my legs and ankles and im flat footed, yeah one of my family members is in the army and he keeps snakes still:)

Yeah my brother kept snakes while he was in the army.

However, you probably wouldn't be able to in the first year. You have to move around a bit, he ended up living in four states in four years.

If you are going into any of the armed forces, you have to make the time spent serving worth it. Get a trade that can be used once you leave. I spent 15 years in the navy and i got an electrical trade and a degree in electrical engineering. The reward for that is my hourly rate is over $35. Make it worth the time you have to spend away from your family and friends.

Speaking from experience of the army of 14yrs, I would personally reccomend you do some sort of apprenticeship before you even think of joining the defence, I joined when I was 16 & 9mths with signed parental permission.

You need to live some of your life before you decide to join any of the forces. Ya gotta spend time out with friends and working and partying before you join.

Don't jump into something like that until you have least lived some of your life, and your only 15 I wouldn't go worrying about that type of thing til you finish high school, most defence jobs want you to have all passes in yr 10, 11, & 12 oh and now you have to be 18 to join...

My son-in-law has just joined the Army, he's 36 yrs old and is going to become a Combat Engineer, I think they refer to them as Sappers. He's spent many years in the reserves prior to this. My eldest brother was in the Army in the 60s, served in Malaya. Also had a niece who was in the Air Force for a few years, and had an uncle in the RAAF during WW2 (killed in action 1944) we have quite a military history in our family and I don't think anyone has regretted it. I'd say go for it.....security, good pay and they also look after families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back