Discriminated @ Pet Store Over Buying Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, my pet shop has a sign on the chickens that says "not wormed or vaccinated, recomended for snake food". And almost never have live rats or mice because they sell out all the time.

So it kinda depends on whose side you are looking from, if you know what I mean?

Do they do the same with fish and crays? They are covered buy the same laws in Qld. Its all good in the deluded ideology of the RSPCA to feed cats on endangered fish species that die slowly as bycatch or for them to kill heaps of animals that could be used as food and throw them out as rubbish.

Funny thing i saw on an RPSCA show was them showing a turtle being live fed a noxious fish species. Apart from being an offence worth up to a years jail to feed live fish to a turtle they also were promoting the illegal use of noxious fish which also has severe penalties.

Last edited by a moderator:
FROM TOXIMAC - (grim was logged in) ..
I think its obvious that you cant live feed, most snake people know this, the FACT IS..

Pet store owners shouldn't assume someones going to LIVE FEED when they never said they would. If a kiwi bought a sheep i wouldnt assume the worst and not sell it to him, that would be discrimination.
There is nothing wrong with breeding an animal, there is no law as someone commented before about if their conditions are well kept ect. The Mite/Lice insecticide thing was just a throw in so she could deny his sale.
I really couldn't care less if her Employeer told her to say what she said. She lied as if she was cool with it, then caught him, and then acted like a sycastic B...She wasn't doing it to 'save his reptiles'..or 'help him out'... the place she gave him was useless & far. AND I WANTED THOSE MICE SO EXCUSE ME IF I HAVE TO BE A KID THAT SAYS I HATE SNAKES AND WANNA CUDDLE MICE BECAUSE I NEED NEW FRIENDS IF A PET STORE PERSON PRETENDS TO BE INTERSTED... Im going there tomorrow and getting them all ... Im gonna laugh in her face afterwards...and I'll let you all know what happened!

But just because your buying for feeding purposes does not mean that you are going to live feed it, so pet stores should not make that assumption

You're right, they should not make that assumption, and in this situation the woman in question was.
What I'm saying is that the pet shop is responsible by law to refuse the sale if they know it will be fed live by the person buying it. In this situation, they buyer (toximac) was not doing anything wrong. If in another situation a buyer told the pet shop assistant that they were going to buy a mouse to feed it live to a snake, then in order to protect themselves from being fined, they can rightfully refuse the sale.
I'm just highlighting that this senario can go different ways, but there are laws regulating what people can and can't legally do.

Do they do the same with fish and crays? They are covered buy the same laws in Qld
Live feeding is only covering invertebrates in this 'animal protection act'...
Different laws I imagine, in using native and noxious fish and crays - perhaps to do with wildlife governing bodies...

When l have to buy live l like to start with un related rats . l go into one store and ask for some pet rats , and ask to make them all females so they wont breed . Then get the male from somewhere else . Tell them what they want to hear , makes life easier .

I hear laws on rats/mice are different to any other mammal, in experimentation/research...you could cut it alive and still be within the law.
Id never feed live, nor should pet store people assum.. isn't there a customer watch dog thing

a tea spoon of concrete may help - life must be pretty sweet if this is as bad as it gets

FROM TOXIMAC - (grim was logged in) ..
If a kiwi bought a sheep i wouldnt assume the worst and not sell it to him, that would be discrimination.
Im going there tomorrow and getting them all ... Im gonna laugh in her face afterwards...and I'll let you all know what happened!

Haha. Love it.

On-topic, though. I agree with you entirely about how it's lame you were denied sale of the mice and what-not. But if i were in her position and the animals i was selling had a chance to have toxins on them, I'd consider it covering myself, not helping him, not saving the mice, none of that. Simple, selfish, smart. Saving your own tail from possible future baddies! :p

When I worked in a pet shop, I wasnt supposed to sell mice/rats for snake food... (I did anyway, cause I really didnt care about the shop at that stage)
I just made it noted that not only is it illegal to feed out live, but is considered very dangerous to the snake if it decides to retaliate. Other then that I personally had no problems!

They said we werent aloud to sell them to people owning snakes because they were apparently all 'hand raised' and only used for pets because of that.. (they bred in-store and were not hand raised at all....!)

I even had a chuckle with a few of the customers trying to hide the fact they 'werent for snake food' saying that im not supposed to but i dont care as i own snakes anyway and hate my boss...
some people must have thought I was an absolute idiot with the stories they were coming up with to 'trick' me.. but as soon as i would mention i would sell them anyway despite snakes they opened right up lol

hahaha I left that place as soon as I could...

doesnt matter what her reasons are a person in that position (who works in a pet store) has the right to choose what animals they sell to who. not saying its right or wrong just that, thats how it goes. if they dont think you can or will look after an animal they are not obliged to sell it to you.

What a load of rubbish. You are buying rodents from pet stores/chains.

Why whinge?

You are only making your own path anyways yeah?

[deleted]

And tooninoz...
Why am I buying mice from pet stores? um... because I'm not in contact with mouse breeders and there happened to be a pet store close to my partner to buy mice, is there a problem?
I'm not making a path, I'm making a thread :-S

Its fine if you both wanna turn a blind eye - problem never really goes away if you read back many have experienced this - Im dealing with it on sunday - will update my serve of justice & perhaps it will enspire pet store keepers to be more open to all animals OR have reptile owners lie to pet stores & buy a kitten for crocodile food.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's good to get stuff off your chest, but the fact is that the pet store is allowed to refuse to sell their animals to you. It's not discrimination, because there was concern for the welfare of the mice and the snake.

WOW ...I have never had a drama ever ..sometimes I get that awwwwww really look ..but that was usually due to them asking "oh what colours would you like ?" and the reply was " oh they dont care about colour.." then it gell'd with the petstore keeper what they were for ...but never told NO ...

I think your blowing it out of proportion, seriously is it a big deal? Look in the for sale section of this site to me it looks like there are plenty of breeders of mice around sydney,

She sounds like a b!tch to be honest lol

Shops should have signs up stating that their rodents are not to be used for reptile food. There is a Pet Shop in Brisbane that does it and its a very good idea

The way i see it, if it is advertised for a set price them that is the price she MUST sell them for. Otherwise its false advertising IMHO. Call Department of consumer affairs. Yes its her job to inform you of any treatments and toxic chemicals and what the effects are. But she still must sell said mice for quoted price. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back