Legal Drinking Age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon they should up the drinking age to 21.
I find kids these days are way less mature with way less responsibilities.
Majority of 18 yr olds these days are tuned into cartoons on foxtel and if that aint on they are downloading their animine crap (not to mention the rest of their time on playstations & xboxs).

Majority of 18 yr olds these days are tuned into cartoons on foxtel and if that aint on they are downloading their animine crap (not to mention the rest of their time on playstations & xboxs).

lmao the average gamer in australia is over 25, should we take their licenses away too?

well well well
what makes watching a different form of media less mature....
Im 18 i watch anime
I also look after myself as my mom is nurse and works late nights
I pay half the bills
I shop for myself
I wash all the clothes
Whilst still having time to have a serious relationship with my girl friend, work two jobs, go to gym, play in a band, manage a band, promote other bands and keep reptiles
and....
your posting a forum
so kinda contradictory to your point
I think you should've done was sit down and write a letter on a A4 piece of paper with a black ball pen, write down your original message in cursive and post it out to everyone on APS, that's mature
:D
Any way
Vince your onto something with the blood alcohol levels
I live like 5 minutes away from the pub so i walk home, and the amount of people that get caught driving home
is almost hilarious it's that bad.

If you can legally get wiped out by rocket launcher in battle you should be able to legally get smashed on a lazy sunday afternoon.

My opinion on most laws- The people who need to be stopped will barely be affected, the people who are responsible will be affected most.

Raising the age limit won't necessarily fix the problem of drink driving problems amongst the young, all it means is that more people will be breaking the law as they claim their right to be of legal age just like the "18 years olds of yesterday".

Better education of the effects of alcohol Its not the age limit they need to consider, but the maturity of the person........ don't know how that can be done, I don't have all the answers, but it's certainly more preferable to whats happening today!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Better education + harder consequences. Yes, an actual consequence that means something.

If someone does something stupid while drunk, it should come back to they "choose" to get drunk.

If you choose to speed/DUI... and because of that you kill someone, who is to say you should have that choice of driving again. Take their licence for life. You can garentee everytime they have to explain to someone why they can't drive they will be reminded of their actions.

See it all the time where teenagers don't take responsibilty for their actions. If anyone remember Eddie Murphie's Raw, and the "Wasn't me....." thats exactly what it is like some times.

If someone does something stupid while drunk, it should come back to they "choose" to get drunk.

This is something i definitely agree with. I don't see how you should get less harsh sentences with the excuse' 'I was drunk, I wasn't thinking right'
TOO BAD! you decided to get drunk and put yourself and others in danger, live with the consequences.

Yeah lets make teens resort to illigaly drinking on the streets and damaging property... at least we go to controlled places like clubs!

Its just the government putting more and more restrictions on us one at a time, believing none of us can think for ourselves so they must protect us. Thats crap if they wanted to keep people safe and save lives they would make cigarettes illegal instead of just making more and more money of them.

Let people decide for themselves i say. Some of us can actualy think for ourselves. But telling a 20 yo who has worked for lets say 3 years has voted for 2 years, is married, paying off a house and may have a kid or 2 is not mature enough to have a beer at home after work? That makes absolutly no sense at all.

any body watch cnn last night we are the 3rd most cencored country in the world with china being the first cant remeber the second. and we are the only democracy to even think about an internet cecnorship programme and will be one of three countries to have one.

its atrocious.

Same here... I've known a couple of women that can grow better beards that I can.

I think raising the drinking age to 21 would be a great idea. Maybe it could be legal for over 18 but under 21 year olds to be able to drink only in the presence of their parents. That way they'd be less likely to have a skinfull of grog and get in their car and kill someone.

It's easy for me to say now because I'm old and decrepit.

Actually, how about we just wind back the years and you can only go to the Pub if you can grow a beard? that sounds good, so it's still OK if you are a manchild... though saying that, I'm 36 and still can't grow a good one....

Our cars are getting faster and handle better, they have better tyres and safety systems and yet our speed limits are getting slower? Where's the explanation for that?

Raising the drinking age to 21 would only stop the responsable one from drinking. To the unresponsable it would only make drinking more attractive, making them a "badass" so to speak. And if the reason for rasing the drinking age to 21 is to curb irresponsable and binge drinking then maybe a provisional licence system can be looked at.
At 18 you would apply for an alcohol licence which would be left at any bar you are drinking at while there. Enabling you to drink to a certain blood alcohol limit. Any problems publican takes note and reports to the licencing board. Who can revoke or issue infringements.
It would take alot to set up but how much does the government make from alcohol tax? More than enough to cover i'd say.

But the best bet.... leave us be we dont need more laws. The existing laws are doing just fine

im 18 next year n if they change the law ill be pissed cuase i cant wait til i go to the pub and have my first drink with my dad n pop

They're not changing the law.

Think of it this way:

If Kevin Rudd changed the law, he'd lose the votes of every 18 and 19 year old in the upcoming federal election.

It's definitely not going to happen any time soon.
I don't think it will ever happen.

All it will do is make underage drinking worse, people under 21 will still drink. Everyone I know drank more when they were 17 than when they were 18. So if they one day raise the age it'll just make things worse.

screw that.
and all you guys who are for it.
how many people under 21 do you see starting alcohol fueled fights?
also how many underaged kids out in the nightclubs and pubs around town?
and in all honesty i used to drink much more when i was underage than what i do now.
because now i can whenever i want without any consequences to worry about. before it was a novelty and was "cool".
and as for jason comment of getting us outt of cars, i wish i could give you a piece of my mind.

what the hell is wrong with you.
its called anime lol.
anyway what about us 18, 19, 20 yo who go to uni have to drive their and be their all day, get home and go to work, where we have to drive to get their, and also for those making their on way and renting or finding accomodation and paying board. and your accusing us for being irresponsible, when in fact we do more work than what any of your average everyday workers do.
i myself play basketball twice a week. have football commitments 3 times a week.
have uni 5 times a week.
work 3-5 times a week. have 2 jobs. and a girlfriend. and i have to try to fit in leisure and homework time into that. and what do i do at the end of the week to relive myself. i go out or to the local for a few drinks and a good time. so is that irrensponsible? you tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back