Did Saint Patrick Really Banish Snakes From Irleand?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 12-Mar-10 12:10 PM
Source: digg
Category: Arts & Culture

Did Saint Patrick banish snakes from Irleand? It's the season where folks celebrate St. Patrick, the man best known for banishing snakes from the green fields of Ireland.

-6DKu3tOTTY

Go to digg Page

I have heard the story before several times, i guess you are right though grannie, the article finnishes with:

"So why has St. Patrick been so heavily hailed as the hero that banished snakes from Ireland? Well, some believe that the snake was a symbol of paganism and it is St. Paddy that can be accredited for ridding Ireland of paganism and bringing Christianity to the green isle."

Literal wording has St Patrick ridding Ireland of worms.
If you see portrayals of him from the time he is holding a large packet of Conbantrin.
Fact is it was just another English invasion like all the subsequent ones.

Literal wording has St Patrick ridding Ireland of worms.
If you see portrayals of him from the time he is holding a large packet of Conbantrin.
Fact is it was just another English invasion like all the subsequent ones.

:lol::lol::lol: Gold!

It is also similar to the story of St George (England) slaying the dragon (Wales) Basically it is an analogy for the way the English have invaded and settled other nations, replacing a nationa's traditional faith and culture with Christianity, fish and chips and football hooliganism.

"gvoakes on 03/11/2010 Noooo don't banish snacks :( "

I'm guessing this is a case of an obese kid with poor English skills....

there are 3 places on earth with no snakes.. go!.."race to wiki"

:lol::lol::lol: Gold!

It is also similar to the story of St George (England) slaying the dragon (Wales) Basically it is an analogy for the way the English have invaded and settled other nations, replacing a nationa's traditional faith and culture with Christianity, fish and chips and football hooliganism.

Don't forget warm beer!
(And they wonder why they then get kicked out!)

Posted by mandokeith on Mar 12, 2010, 09:24 AM EST If lizards are evolved snakes then why are there still snakes? They should have all evolved into lizards by now. Evolution is a lie, God created snakes, lizards and everything else. Thank-you St. Patrick for driving them out!

Oh how these people make me laugh, these are the same folk who think dinosaurs are all just a big hoax! And science is evil and blah blah blah and my imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend so lets blow each other up to prove it.

New Zealand has sea snakes.

They're Lost Australian ones - do they count???

NZ definitely has NO terrestrial snakes. Antarctica definitely no snakes....

Greenland, Iceland, any other snake free land?

Up until WWII Guam was snake free too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back