Easy Scorpion Housing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm about to get my first scorpion. I don't really wanna spend near $100 for a little glass tank, so I was wondering what the easiest and cheapest, effective scorpion enclosures were.

Would something like a small click-clack do? If so, what size is ideal for a single scorpion?

Or one of those Kritter Keeper things, would that be okay?

Thanks.

depends what scorpion species, the size etc. I use a storage conatiner, generally.

Mate can house them in anything, they dont climb glass, ive seen them housed in fishing lure tackle boxes. Just use a moist substrate (usually can buy proper scorpion stuff) and a heat mat a black light if you want them to glow in the dark lol and a heap of crickets and your laughing.

Awesome, thanks.

Also, can anyone explain scientific names to me?

I can find a lot of info on 'Lychas marmoreus' but nothing on 'Lychas marmoreus obscurus.'

Is Lychas marmoreus obscurus kept the same as Lychas marmoreus?

I don't get it haha.

Awesome, thanks.

Also, can anyone explain scientific names to me?

I can find a lot of info on 'Lychas marmoreus' but nothing on 'Lychas marmoreus obscurus.'

Is Lychas marmoreus obscurus kept the same as Lychas marmoreus?

I don't get it haha.

it doesnt depend so much on species more the natural environment they were found in. For a starter species i'd go with Liocheles sp (forest scorps) or an easy to keep urodacus like manicatus or elongatus

I know nothing about scorpions.. I can maybe help a little with latin names. All follow same format whether animal or plant, for example the egyptin cobra is called "Naja haje" the Naja part is called genus name and is always starts with capitol. The haji part is the species name. All "True" cobras all belong to same genus ie Naja so u can get the cape cobra called Naja Nivea,... Naja naja is Indian cobra and there are several others. However some species have sub-species and these are all named with 3 words ie Naja haje arabica is a sub species of egyptian cobra found in Morocco and is black. It is still egyptian cobra but has a few differences to main population. There used to be 2 other sub species of egyptian cobras bu they are now considered separate species. However taxonomists are always changing there minds and arguing over sub-species and i dont pay too much attention. For while something might be considered same species then change to sub species then change to completely different species then change back to original hehe as taxonomists fight it out.

So your 'Lychas marmoreus obscurus.' is sub species of Lychas marmoreus. Taxonomists maybe found a population of Lychas marmoreus that was a little diff to other populations and although same species they consider it to have enough differences to be a sub species but not enough to be a separate species. You probably cant info much info on sub species as maybe not widely regarded sub species or new studies just starting to separate the species out and not much info on it. Interestingly isolated populations of the same species if separated for long enough show distinct changes due to differing habitat/predators/climate/food etc and may in time digress enough to be new species.

Sorry to waffle but hope clears up your question and doesn't confuse u even more. Wish i could get scorpion and mantid but illegal to keep arachnids and insects in WA until they figure a way to licence and make some money out of it hehe.

Easiest way to keep them is in a Varanid or small plastic container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back