Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrThumper

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone keeps snakes in the same enclosure?
I just picked up a 2yo pair of Bredli's, male and female, and was thinking of putting them in one big enclosure with a couple of basking spots.

I'm open to all opinions :)

thanks everyone

i have 2 female diamonds together and 2 female jungles together.:D.np's so far..just the whole food scent thing so a mist after feeding is often suggested.:)

Attachments

• PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 163
mist=spray bottle ;) and as far as male female im not going to say cos im not sure myself.:rolleyes:..but i would assume they will be fine,you need to fiddle with temps etc to get em to breed usually so..yer. but im not sure 8)

The seller I bought my bredli hatchie off had two adult bredlis, a male and a female, together in one enclosure.... The male was fine to handle, but you couldn't get near the female - she was nasty! But there didn't seem to be any probs between the two snakes. Don't take my word for it though...

There are many opinions and views on this but IMO the short answer is no, don't do it. You run the risk of one killing the other and eating, or attempting to eat, the other even if the same size. Then you can end up losing both snakes as the prey is too big for the 1st to digest and it consequently dies, unless it regurgitates.
Many people do it without any problems. Although there was a thread here many years ago of a breeder with a breeding pair of diamonds who he had housed together and bred for many many years. One morning there was only one fat snake. Can't remember if he ended up losing both.
So I personally would rather spend a bit on an extra enclosure than run the risk of eventually losing 1 if not both snakes.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Allan

I'm not saying it cant happen, or that it wont happen, but i've never heard of like-sized morelias eating one another.. i only have one, but my unlce keeps his big ones in one enclosure and small ones in another and has never had any problems. It seems pretty common practice for pet stores and obviously it increases your chances of breeding. BUT you do have to be careful with feeding because there have been some huge scuffles requiring separation that may have gone the wrong way if there was no intervention. misting is generally a good idea. again it depends on if you think its worth the risk. i cant tell u figures, but i have had my ear to the ground for a long time and not heard of it unitl just now with the post above mine.

Sye

Little bit?!.:shock: lol...sif you would put them together.. :rolleyes:. but i get the point choco ;)

You would be surprised how many people keep more than one snake in an enclosure

i do m8.. but they are the same size.. nothing like that pic! lol

You would be surprised how many people keep more than one snake in an enclosure
Oh yeah of course there's heaps that do it. I'd say everyone probably knows someone who does it. But for me that particular story I mentioned stuck with me 3 or more years on and was enough for me to decide I'm not prepared to take the risk. Regardless of the remote chance of it happening.

The way I look at is a snake will last 20 odd years so you have 2 options.
Option1:
Say you house them together for 10 years when (worst case scenario) one kills the other. Lets say only one dies and not both. So you've lost a pet that I'm sure your attached to, and now your up for the cost of replacement snake. Not to mention you would now buy a 2nd enclosure anyway so it doesn't happen again.
Option 2
You could just buy a 2nd enclosure now thinking it's gonna last me 20 years so what a few hundred $$ over 20 years. Not much really

That's just the way I look at. As said there are going to be many different opinions. Heaps do it, heaps won't do it. Of those who do house together, some have roblems some (maybe even many) don't.

Hope that helps give you another perspective where I'm coming from.

Yeah my point may be considered extreme and yes may be seen as unlikely but I would rather not risk it for the sake of a couple hundred bucks for an extra set up

I totally agree. Why take the risk?

some people may not have sufficient room to make another 4x2x2 or larger to house an adult carpet.
I have a pair of bredli in different enclosures, but i have a 5x5x3 tank that i am considering housing my bredli pair together in.
Not because I cbf making a new tank,or I cant afford too, but because if I can safely put 2 in the one enclosure then I can save space and electricity.

Just did a quick search but scroll to the bottom:
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/2-pythons-1-cage-53373/page-2
There is a little bit of size difference but you get the point. It could happen.

there was a story to why that snake was with the olive, they were not cage mates.

as for keeping snakes together, i had my childreni together all the time, only seperated them because i needed the enclosure for something else.

as friend of mine (who is a member on here) keeps 2snakes in almost every enclosure including bhps,mds,coastals etc

im sure if you didnt feed or mistreated them it would def increase the chances to.. but after some" trolling"..:) i think im going to seperate mine aswell.;)..just not worth the one in a million chance..id be heartbroken..and i would def blame myself cos i have the room and enclosures to do it..its just they just look so happy when they sit ontop of eachother:D..but.yer ..thanks for the advice there guys 8)..:)

Great post, I have a male Bredli Yearling and am looking for a female for him, I was thinking of posting exactly this ... some great feedback. Nothing though here has convinced me either way yet, so hopefully more comments can convince me if it will be Ok to put them together.

Great post, I have a male Bredli Yearling and am looking for a female for him, I was thinking of posting exactly this ... some great feedback. Nothing though here has convinced me either way yet, so hopefully more comments can convince me if it will be Ok to put them together.

There is heaps of discussions on this topic all over the net. If you do a search here you'll find quite a few threads too. All I've ever read is purely peoples opinions and experiences saying they've done it for years. Mostly is people with no problems, occasionally someone with their bad experience. I have never found any hard evidence you could consider "convincing".
I can't foresee anything different in the future of this thread. No one will TELL you what to do either way.
Your obviously doing some research so as I mentioned earlier, I sum it up in one sentence. In you own opinion, is it worth the possible risk?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back