Difficulty level of Golden Tree Snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricked

Reaction score
What would you say the difficulty level of a Golden Tree Snake, on a scale of 1-10, about five being a coastal carpet? What would be a adult enclosure size? Does anyone know any good tips for them? If i remember the're the snakes who release the noxios smelling liquid when there panicked, or am i mistaken?

If you buy a golden tree snake that is feeding then they are no harder than any other snake to keep. Being a tropical animal you will need to keep the heat up to them and most readily feed on fish straight from the water bowl.

It varies a fair bit on the individual snake. If you can find a captive bred one that feeds well on dead food you are much better off. I have keep legal wild caught and captive bred, not all of them will eat fish. One of my wildcaught males wont touch them but was easy to get feeding on dead food such as geckos, pink and fuzzy rodents and hatchling quail.

They are extremely fast and flighty, you need to be really switched on when handling them, especially little ones. Even experienced keepers have lost hatchies due to their speed. They can also hurt themselves from thrashing around if you dont hold them properly (so im told and i wouldnt doubt it).

If really stressed they use a stink defense thing, but they have to be really stressed to do this and it rarely happens if you treat them nicely.

They are more like a very fast active lizard as far as keeping difficulty. Nothing like a python at all.

A 4' fish tank seem like a good size enclosure for an adult, but more height would be good. Plastic tubs over 100l are also OK and allow for much easier maintanace. Like most snakes they can eat each other, so the safest option is to keep them seperate.

Thanks alot guys esspeacily cris. What fish do you use to feed them?

I reckon Golden tree snakes are great, im getting one soon i hope :)

Thanks alot guys esspeacily cris. What fish do you use to feed them?

Goldfish, platies and swordtails. I dont really like feeding them live fish as even with these species that are lack nasty spinless(compared with many other fish) they dont seem to go down easily backwards. Im not sure one how safe it is to feed them live fish as the only food. I forgot to mention in the post above that I also feed them meat and chicken necks once they get used to it.

Its a shame we arnt allowed to feed them a natural diet, but its just the way it is in our over-regulated land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back