Eggs Dying

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well some of you know my bredli girl layed her first clutch of 16 eggs on the 17 January. There was one obvious slug which we threw out after she layed. Over the next few days, we noticed some were already growing mold, so they were candled and the inside had an obvious green tinge and no veins, so they were thrown out aswell, and the vermiculite underneath was removed and replaced with a fresh mix.

After that, everything was going as planned. They were candled every week and were very healthy looking with red veins, but then another few weeks later, the same thing happened to another handful of eggs. Eggs started developing mold with a green tinge inside, and the veins had disappeared.We decided to cut these open and they did have a developing embryo inside.

By then we were pretty disappointed as it was a small clutch and we were down to 8 eggs, but the remaining still appeared to still be going strong so we stopped worrying about them. They were white, no signs of mold and bright red veins.

They were due to hatch on the 18th March. I candled them last night and again, another 6 of the eggs were found dead, with a developed embryo inside. We now have 2 eggs remaining that are still alive, we are devastated and hoping these last two can hold on for another week.

My question is, what could have caused this? It's not as if they were infertile in the first place, they all had a developing seemingly healthy embryo inside, and its not as if only a few have died, the whole clutch has gone downhill. They were incubated over large grade vermiculite, 60/40 ratio (verm to water), and between 31.4 - 31.7 degrees. Same conditions as my port mac clutch last year which went well.

We are quite sure the eggs only developed mold because the embryo had died, and not the other way around. We are just wondering if there could be any reason for this, or if it might have just been very bad luck and it was bound to happen anyway. Has anyone else experienced a loss of a whole clutch of eggs while conditions were perfect?

Yea vixen I know how you feel my coastal laid her first clutch on the 24th of dec 09 and her eggs were doing well until qld had the horrible heat waves over the xmas period she had 11 eggs 10 were good and one was a slug.

Now they were to hatch during the last week of feb but they had all gone funky, except one it hatched a few days into march, but had died later that day....

Broken hearted I was first ever time I had eggs... The eggs went weird due to the temps here being way too hot, we opened the eggs to find all were like a normal boiled egg...

I would slit them myself... That way you could keep a better eye on them.

It could come down to many things, Weak embrios due to female not carrying quite enough condition to develope eggs properly, Male sperm counts are down creating weak fertilzation, just to throw in a few

sometimes thats just how it goes if there are some unknown problems,most likely fertility issues with one of the parents.i had 22 bredli eggs and 2 failed mid term and they looked perfectly fine,and they were the only 2 i lost out of 88 python eggs.hope the last few come through for you. they are very nice parents,your pair.
cheers
simon

Sorry to hear that Vixen,sounds to me they could have been a little dryer ?
I had 17 bredli eggs this season with the bottom 5 becoming to damp and the went green and caused 5 late deaths with 12 hatching.I found the problem to be from too high humidity levels late into the incubation.

For both of you i mean,
Cut a little slit in the egg (reffered to sliting and piping)

For both of you i mean,
Cut a little slit in the egg (reffered to sliting and piping)

No one is doubting your intentions mate but i think the author of this thread is looking for experienced advice, so unless you have done that with a clutch and been succesful then i don't think it is what the owner is looking for.

This has happened to me with bredli, although i haven't had healthy eggs die mid term but i have had alot of dead neonates... Or have i??? Can't remember lol. But i have also had neonates die after they have slit the eggs themselves.

In my case i think, and it is all conjecture, the male and female not having the best temperatures during copulation and the development stage. So i don't really have an answer or advice for you lol except to tell you that it does happen and sometimes you just can't find the reason.

One left now, the other one was fine a few days ago, and once again now the inside has a greenish tinge and the veins are gone.

You'd think if it was fertility issues with the parents, they wouldn't have survived this long in the first place, there's only a few days until they were due to hatch. :(

Finger's crossed for the last survivor, although i'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back