Discriminated @ Pet Store Over Buying Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Department of Consumer Affairs? Isn't that a bit much? And anyway, they wouldn't give two hoots over some mice! I mean, is it worth raising your blood pressure over? Just go to another pet store.

I might be one of the few that stand out, but I say, cut the girl some slack. When I worked in a pet shop, we didn't sell anything as food. We didn't sell mice, rats or quail for snake food, no feeder fish, and definitely no kittens as crabpot bait. Yes, plenty of people wanted the kittens (morons, crabs don't eat kittens in the wild :) ).

It was our responsibility to find those animals a good home, and she obviously sees it the same way. She's looking out for the animals in her care, not your feelings. We used to explain that yes, insecticides can kill your snake, and secondly, our mice were priced to be pets, not food, so going down the road to the shop that sold pets & food was the better option for everybody. They are allowed to ask what the mice are for if they are suspect, same as you would be asked if you were buying a big tough puppy dog and dropped a comment about dog fighting.

I don't think she's discriminating against you, or an idiot for not liking snakes. Maybe she really likes mice :) If someone came to your place and wanted to buy all your hatchies because their mongoose was hungry, what would you say? Don't get worked up, just find another shop that's happy to cater for your needs.

Maybe she really likes mice :) If someone came to your place and wanted to buy all your hatchies because their mongoose was hungry, what would you say?

Very true...

Maybe she really likes mice :) If someone came to your place and wanted to buy all your hatchies because their mongoose was hungry, what would you say?
If it was a private breeder they have the right to say no, and Id respect that.
But because Its a commercial pet store they are advertising to everyone. We shouldn't have to lie or be silenced because we KEEP SNAKES?? It is legal to breed animals!! LEGAL! Maybe my partner really like snakes, doesn't give her any right to deny his sale! I think you need to read all comments posted, she discriminated & there was no sign to say "we dont sell to snake owners".. If she really liked mice then I don't care, And neither should she about snakes!

Department of Consumer Affairs? Isn't that a bit much? And anyway, they wouldn't give two hoots over some mice! I mean, is it worth raising your blood pressure over? Just go to another pet store.
You among others have said this, and like I said, I wanted those mice, not from any other pet store, and my bf couldn't get them because he keeps snakes, its discrimination whatever you say, and its happened to MANY people - read back to see for yourself. There is no point of me going to consumer affairs, I will buy the mice, have my word, and if Im not apologised to I will take it to consumer affairs.

Fair call but put up a sign saying they are not for food. No sign then they gotta sell for the advertised price.
Yeah I used that line at myer once with a food processor, the guy wouldn't accept the price advertised, its the law perhaps or based on an old myth? lol I don't know.

The fact is these mice weren't going to be used for food, so if a sign or something was up, it would be disregarded, I was going to use their babies for food. If the pet stores cared about them so much, then they should desex them! - if they cant, then they cant complain!

I agree with mouse_has_faith... but if its that important to you maybe you could call current affair or sixty minites to investigate this injustice :p

pet stores i used to frequent on the Central Coast would get 80 to a 100 mice in at once and all would be pre sold this went on weekly. I would guess 99.9% were not for pets.

If someone came to your place and wanted to buy all your hatchies because their mongoose was hungry, what would you say? Don't get worked up, just find another shop that's happy to cater for your needs.

In a hypothetical case where it was legal, if they treated them humanely i would let them buy food at around $10 000-250 000 a KG or whatever the average hatchy price is. Although in reality i woudnt because its illegal to use native fauna as food (with a few exceptions that arnt relevant) and to keep mongooses and other weasels in Qld.

At the shop i work at we go through 4 cages of mice in about a week. Even if they are for snake food, she had no way of knowing that you werent going to cull them humanely, so she could not stop you. You are allowed to buy mice for breeding and snake food, as long as you do not feed them to your snake live, and disopse of them humanely.

P.S was it burwood pets?

Geez, whatever happened to the good 'ol Aussie, "she'll be right", attitude?

Discrimination is generally when people are denied equal rights, opportunities or even liberties based off things like religion, ethnicity, gender, or age. Somehow a woman in a pet shop not selling you some mice doesn't quite fit the bill. But do whatever you feel you must do.

Geez, whatever happened to the good 'ol Aussie, "she'll be right", attitude?

Discrimination is generally when people are denied equal rights, opportunities or even liberties based off things like religion, ethnicity, gender, or age. Somehow a woman in a pet shop not selling you some mice doesn't quite fit the bill. But do whatever you feel you must do.

Everyones gone soft?!?!? :lol:

seems like a mountain out of a mole hill.
There is no contract for a sale until a price is agreed and the payment is accepted by the seller. They can refuse to sell to you and then turn around and sell to the guy behind you and there is nothing you can do about it.

I hear laws on rats/mice are different to any other mammal, in experimentation/research...you could cut it alive and still be within the law.

There are incredibly strict ethics protocols around animal experimentation though. It has to be proven that any experimentation is absolutely necessary and it takes place within very strict guidelines.

missed out last weekend to go to city but will this weekend lol yes jessb but the guidelines are pretty free into what you can do to rat/mouse when its under a targeted study isn't it?

:lol: what a funny thread, just tell them what they want to hear. These sort of humans are very stupid and its easy to avoid conflict if you go about it the right way. Its just like picking up give away kittens ;)
Posts like this make me really angry, if someone is giving an animal away under the pretext of it going to a good home then it should go to a good home. Plenty of people have giveaways that they say are for meat or pets so why go pick up pets just so you can get a free feed for your snake. I know now never ever to give away any mammals or birds that I don't want to see ending up as food.

Funny how people bait and kill mice etc in their homes....drown them, crush them; anything to get rid of them.

They eat cute cows etc...

But then its unethical to feed mice to snakes? To put them to use?

Ahhh people are fun!

At my high-school, all the year 8's had to breed mice to monitor their traits being passed down. All the offspring were always fed to the biology teachers snakes. Still are now. We never complained.

I agree that once you were warned of the mite treatment it was your choice...plus, its all about how you say something not what you say (the sarcastic smile damning any chance of you understanding her position)

I don't understand where the discrimination is?? It is illegal for them to sell live rodents for food. Fair enough they were going to be used for breeding instead of food directly but she did not believe your boyfriend therefore have the right to refuse the sale. It's just like bars having the right to refuse service to people they believe are intoxicated, it doesn't matter if they are or not. That's not discrimination that's just facts....

People just go to another pet store that doesn't ask questions. Why make a big deal of this. It's not discrimination, owning a snake is not the same as being black. People value different animals in their own way, and if a pet store chooses to value the sanctity of their mice that's their right.

It's no different than a guy walking onto a horse ranch with a shirt that says "Glue Factory" asking to by a few horses. The owner has the right to refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back