Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a really good guide to Aussie frogs I could purchase anywhere or do you buy them by location?

nah it was graffiti, not aboriginal cave paintings lol, just the usual, example name was here in ???? they must have cleaned it, we didn't go that far into there. look foward to seeing more pictures.

I agree, more frog enthusiasts need to come out of the closet - they need all the help they can get!

Billiemay - the best book is A Field Guide to Australian Frogs by Barker, Grigg and Tyler but it can be hard to get a hold of these days. There is a new book out by Tyler and Knight but I don't think it is that useful to anyone because the information and drawings are very poor.

The last few days of my trip across the NT were spent in the "Red Centre" from Alice Springs to Uluru. It was a beautiful sight to see the desert in full bloom after recent rains and the dunes were cloaked in green.

I spent two nights in Alice Springs and I was really impressed. It is a vibrant and modern city on the edge of the desert and I was expecting something a lot less welcoming. Alice Springs is built around the Macdonnell Ranges which are a series of mountains stretching east to west across the desert and form a small refuge for a variety of unique plants and animals.

Simpsons Gap in the West Macdonnell Ranges
67.jpg

The West Macdonnells held an amazing amount of frogs, a lot more than I expected. The first new species I encountered was the Spencer's Burrowing Frog (Platypectrum spenceri). This is the inland form of the more well known Ornate Burrowing Frog (Platypectrum ornatum).
80.jpg

Another frog which occurs in the West Macdonnells and across much of arid inland Australia is the Main's Burrowing Frog (Cyclorana maini). These are nicely marked moderately large frogs which emerge after rain to breed.
70.jpg

However the froggy highlight for me was the West Macdonnell endemic, the Centralian Tree Frog (Litoria gilleni). These are large and attractively spotted species which eke out an existence in rocky gorges.
79.jpg

68.jpg

Whilst photographing the tadpoles of the above species I was shocked to turn around and see a large Mulga Snake (Pseudechis australis) slithering past. This snake was very docile and curled up amongst some shrubs whilst I took more photos of the tadpoles.
69.jpg

The other common frog of the inland is the Desert Tree Frog (Litoria rubella) and these were abundant around any waterbody in the vicinity of Alice Springs
76.jpg

Driving south towards Uluru the landscape changes to rolling red dunes and sand hills and dry salt lakes. Lake Amadeus is in the distance of this shot.
75.jpg

The petrol stations in the Northern Territory often carry this disclaimer on their bowsers
71.jpg

Uluru/Ayer's Rock at sunset. A truly amazing sight and a lot different seeing it in the flesh than on a postcard.
73.jpg

Kata Tjuta (or the Olgas) unflatteringly referred to as Uluru's ugly sister however I found these rock formations fascinating.
74.jpg

Sand Monitors (Varanus gouldi) were common on the roads and along tracks.
77.jpg

It was fun watching a juvenile monitor wrestle with a small moth at the hotel
78.jpg

Skinks and dragons are common in the area but I found them difficult to approach. I only saw one DOR Thorny Devil (Moloch horridus) and no Perentie (Varanus giganteus). I did photograph this skink which I think is Ctenotus dux from the Olgas.
81.jpg

Aaron

Amazing shots, NT's a great place to visit - the vast array of scenery and wildlife is spectacular! Very much enjoyed all pics, that olive's a classic - nothing I like better than a snake with attitude :D

And you didnt even give me a PM when you came into Katherine!!!
Theres a couple of large swamp/ dams in the surrounding 200 k's that i think you would be rather interested in.
We dont have stimsoni here only childreni.

Next time give us a yell haha

And you didnt even give me a PM when you came into Katherine!!!
Theres a couple of large swamp/ dams in the surrounding 200 k's that i think you would be rather interested in.
We dont have stimsoni here only childreni.

Next time give us a yell haha

Thanks for that, I didn't know that there were any forum members in Katherine! Would have been handy to get some local knowledge, I'll be definately heading back up to the NT in the next few years, still have 8 species of frog there I havent seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back