Does any one still loan for breeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronR

Reaction score
Just seeing if peiople out there still loan for breeding purposes?
If so please share some good and or bad experiences.
What rules did you have split ratio etc.
before we all say it I know the importance of quarintine, etc just looking at the facts.

I personally have never been involved in any sort of breeding loan.... I would with people that I knew well and trusted but apart from that, its a no go.

It presents many risks to your proposed loan animal. What if the person steals the animal, what if it contracts disease from the other person's collection, what if that person's house is robbed, what if your animal dies in their care? These are all questions that you must be able to answer comfortably and be willing to face should they arise...

Personally, i would recommend you don't. But i'm sure you'll get plenty of people telling you that.

If it were me, i wouldn't allow anything unless that persons animal was kept at my own place for it. I'd also have them take it to a vet to double check health.

I would halve the clutch equally and if there's an odd number, the person who incubates them should recieve the extra.

Personally, i would recommend you don't. But i'm sure you'll get plenty of people telling you that.

If it were me, i wouldn't allow anything unless that persons animal was kept at my own place for it. I'd also have them take it to a vet to double check health.

I would halve the clutch equally and if there's an odd number, the person who incubates them should recieve the extra.

It wouldnt matter what vet you took an animal to as they are unable to tell at all if the animal
is carrying the worst of the reptile deseases, So you would still be at great risk!

Nope, i got one of my animals back with cuts all up and down the body and with a mouth infection. AND supposedly the females owned by the other person squeezed the egs so much they burst and stuffed all the other eggs. hmmmmmm.

So now if i don't breed my own animals then they don't breed. No lending ever and you can't be too careful when it comes to hygiene. Just my opinion.

You would be crazy to loan breed with people you don't know, plain nuts! People still do loan breed though, but it's people who know the other persons collection better than the owner does... I heard a story only two weeks back of a local bloke lossing his collection of around 15 snakes after he did a breeding loan with a "guy off the net", got mites, then his snakes started dropping dead... pretty much how it usually goes..

I did a breeding loan this season with a mate of whom I know her collection and her habitats well and had no dramas :D. She took my girls for a week and then returned them to me till they showed signs of being gravid. Only 1 ended up gravid so then as being my first season I didnt have the setup for laying/incubating etc so she then went back to my mates place layed her eggs and then came home. The eggs were incubated there. I allowed her to decide on the deal as she provided the male, the time and the incubation. All she wanted from a clutch of 4 survivers was 1. Once hatching started she called me so I could go see and then after the first 3 were ready to come out of the incubator I took them home, my mate kept the later hatchy so there were no discriminations on colour preference etc.
She (my mate) was/is fantastic she has been very helpful and honest with me.

However in saying this I do also know of a friend of a friend who leant his prize males :shock: to his mate to breed with his mates females and well this story not so nice. Short of it is that they were returned in such a state they may never breed again as 1 was so severly injured we not sure if it even survived :cry: and the other was so injured his bottom jaw fell out :shock: as a result of a mouth infection going untreated :x as well as toes, tail bits and bits of his mouth missing.:x:cry: Poor bugger is on the road to recovery now however is almost unhandleable.

So the moral of this is I guess that it definately is a risk even if you know the person well, if you dont know them dont go there! Its personal choice and can be a big risk if things dont go to plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back