Hallandale Beach Alligator Processor Turns Pythons from the Everglades into Leather P

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
Published On: 3-16-2010
Source: The SunSentinel

52769302.jpg

For some Burmese pythons captured in the Everglades, the end of the line is a building in a warehouse district of Hallandale Beach.

All American Gator, which turns alligators into meat, belts, shoes and wallets, is the closest thing South Florida has to a python-processing plant. It was here that Josh Zarmati brought two pythons he caught in the Everglades.

Brian Wood, the company's president, was waiting. He has processed three snakes so far and anticipates more from the state-sanctioned python hunt that started last week and runs through April 17 in sections of the Everglades in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties.

No-one else to blame except the idiots who released these animals! No-one further to blame than the legislators who initially allowed them to be legally sold and purchased in the first place! Good to see they've thrown a ban on such animals and are pro-actively appear to be doing something about it!

The methods with the dispatching of these animals seems quite barbaric IMO! The article reads even worse!

Go to Original Article

It sounds like they are just using the skin for leather and not harvesting the meat.... which seems a bit of a waste.

It also sounds like he needs a bit of practice in killing them.

but... I have got to get me a pair of:
Kevlar-coated snake-handling boots

herptrader - they suggest no meat to be eaten because o fmercury content. I assume that's a bio-magnification thing.

Would a more appropriate method of killing be put in a freezer???

Well - who am I to say - but 30 minutes to live without your body isn't so good at all!

Published On: 3-16-2010
Source: The SunSentinel

52769302.jpg

No-one else to blame except the idiots who released these animals! No-one further to blame than the legislators who initially allowed them to be legally sold and purchased in the first place! Good to see they've thrown a ban on such animals and are pro-actively appear to be doing something about it!

The methods with the dispatching of these animals seems quite barbaric IMO! The article reads even worse!

Go to Original Article
totally agree with you moose .....how easily it could happen here if the laws relaxed on exotics ....and yes am aware we do have them here still ..but would be 1000 x worse off ...can imagine someone thinking their retic or boa was getting a bit to big to handle ..just let that one go and buy a smaller one now ;) ..... We have seen so many of our own keepers tell stories how their snakes escaped etc ...

there s just no need for these beautiful creatures to be slaughtered..:cry::x

Snake handling boots sounds like a misnomer, a little like a puppy cuddling sword....
I think a spike to the brain would be a more humane method of killing the pythons outright as well (but I guess a squirming severed head puts on a good show for the cameras!)

i understand what you are saying' but why carnt they put them in rescues instead of killing them): which dosn't look human 1 bit ...looking at that pic..:x

Put them in "rescues"??? They were originally dumped because they were unwanted pets, now breed in numbers killing alot of native fauna... It isn't easy finding a home for a snake that will exceed 25 feet and can eat a small adult human and kill a large one... esp when the place is riddled with them.... no one want them, they can't be released into the wild, so this is whats in stall for them... though they could turn the axe around and smash their brains inside out instead of lopping their heads clean off.

Put them in "rescues"??? They were originally dumped because they were unwanted pets, now breed in numbers killing alot of native fauna... It isn't easy finding a home for a snake that will exceed 25 feet and can eat a small adult human and kill a large one... esp when the place is riddled with them.... no one want them, they can't be released into the wild, so this is whats in stall for them... though they could turn the axe around and smash their brains inside out instead of lopping their heads clean off.
guess your right..':| just dont like see animals being killed thats all..?:(

Putting it in those terms Jason they are like the cane toad equivilant , but leather and meat farming is not a bad idea it has just been carried out in the wrong way

What they are doing isn't as bad as hitting a cane toad with a golf club though....

Exactly. Both are pests but at least the pythons die from the trauma...toads bounce right back from a 9 iron to the head!

:( "from the state-sanctioned python hunt that started last week"

Imagine the bleeding hearts and artists if we had .. "kill a cane toad week" here:shock:
..think about the social reaction to such a announcement.!?.:rolleyes:.some politician got in trouble recently for saying "why aren't people just hitting them with cricket bats and stuff..thats what we did as a kid".but.hes right. i remember my dad and his m8's playing toad golf in the 70's... but i reckon its a reasonable idea...for cane toads..not the odd python or 2 as the article mentions..hes not bringing back a couple of hundred pythons a day..,and if you are going to put it down..is an axe really the "best" way..or just the "easiest" way :(

That is disgusting! feral animal or not, no animal deserves to be held down, then paraded around in front of everyone before having its head cut off. And to be made into such a big deal, photos being taken, people watching. poor snake was prob so stressed out. if i went out and found a massive python and thought hmm dont want this big fella having babies and eating wildlife, better chop his head off. i would be ripped to shreads, but still people make jokes and think this article is funny. Not trying to have a go at anyone, it just *******s me that people of higher power cant produce an acceptable plan for problem animals released into the wild , to be humanely dealt with not slaughtered by people who dont look like they know what they are doing and probably only seeking profit out of all this. ahh sorry but articles like this just make me so angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back