Dingos are pests?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just watching RSPCA animal rescue, and they said that native dingos are considered a pest in QLD and if found are destroyed.

I find it absolutely disgusting that we're classing our own native wildlife as pests.

Can anyone that knows more about it explain it to me?

i know that dingos are not actually native but came from over seas about 4500 yrs ago when sea levels where lower but then went extinct in their origenal country (don't know which country)

Dingos are often an issue on properties with small livestock, such as sheep, goats, even poultry. Most of the mainland dingoes have interbred with domestic dogs, or feral dogs, so relatively few are considered 'pure' anymore.

Having said that, I'm still not all that keen on shooting our 'native' wildlife.

They're also considered pests in Victoria and if found in the bush will be destoryed. I think it's mainly because of the interbreeding with domestic dogs. In Victoria, to own a dingo you have to have a pest animal license.

Not as bad as the pests that came in 1770

they're only considered a pest to the pest you're referring to.. And I agree, you did mention the worst one them all

I personally classify them as a pest (even though they are a really, really cool pest). They are only a relatively new import to Australia, and didn't have that much of an impact as they simply took over where the Thylacine left off.

Have you guys heard about the dingo fence? Its the longest fence in the world, runs from SA and up through NSW. All dingoes to the east of the fence are culled, either manually or by bates.

Come here little dingo...

Attachments

• Misery-Kathy-Bates.jpg
    Misery-Kathy-Bates.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 79
Have you guys heard about the dingo fence? Its the longest fence in the world, runs from SA and up through NSW. All dingoes to the east of the fence are culled, either manually or by bates.
Its the LONGEST man made object on earth.;)

yeah i was pretty upset too watching it. i mean imagine if it was someone's pet, cuz they couldn't 100% prove it was dingo. my friend has a red kelpie that has the white tip on the tail, erect ears, orange colour. looks exactly like a dingo but isn't.
some poor kid probably watched the show tonight going. oh my gosh, they killed rover!!

Dingos arent native animals - they are only considered native on Fraser Island by people with no regard for all the mammals and repliles they have wiped out from the island.

Aust has no native dogs - its an argument you will see heaps of passion about - but the reality is our native species evolved without the dingo as a top predator - so thats enough for me!

Dingos arent native animals - they are only considered native on Fraser Island by people with no regard for all the mammals and repliles they have wiped out from the island.

Aust has no native dogs - its an argument you will see heaps of passion about - but the reality is our native species evolved without the dingo as a top predator - so thats enough for me!

Thats a pretty ignorant statement aswell. Our native species evolved with predators, the two species you may have heard of are the Tasmanian Devil and Tassie tiger. The arrival of the dingo coincided with the extinction of these species from the mainland.

If you want to know about the current ecological impacts of the dingo i suggest you look into some of Mike Letnic's work, he has studied the species pretty closely and shown that the dingo fills an ecological role which is quite important. Ecosystems with dingos are able to suport many more small mammals, this is in part becaus dingos can control medium and large size mammals which remove vegetation.

Then australia has no native people? Both arrived around simialr times. How long does something have to exist in one place to be classed as 'native'?

How can you blame the 'Dingo' for wiping out all the mammals and reptiles? Given time, some predator has to play the top of the food web. If it wasn't for the Dingo's who is to say that another predator wouldn't have done the exact same thing?

You don't see so much whining about our native marsupial cats (Quolls), because they play a different roll in the ecosystem. If we all fed on crickets and small mice I bet it would be a "kill the quoll" campain. It's only because 'we' introduced sheep, cattle and chooks to feed ourselves, thousands of years after after Dingo's got here, that we consider them a pest.

Furthermore, you highlight the plight of organisms being extinct on Fraser due to predation by Dingo's. One of the latest roads on the gold coast, made over 20 species extinct in South East Queensland with a number of weeks. There's a challenge for the Dingo's hey!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back