New plan to live with cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 17-Mar-10 04:06 PM
Source: AAP via NEWS.com.au

THE Federal Government plans to abandon efforts to eradicate cane toads, and instead focus on saving certain areas and animals from the pest.

Go to Original Article

I knew it was gonna come down to this, and have been waiting for this for some time. The government has been far to slow in its attempts to eradicate the pest. The problems was well beyond reach well before they even started thinking maybe we should be doing something. Sure their attempts have in some way slowed the advance into WA, but it hasn't stopped the advance. Looking at the issues as a whole, we really aren't making any head way into the problem. We do know quite alot about the toad but nothing on how to contain it with IMO no possible effective, and efficient method of control likely to be seen for many many years.

I would like to see alot of funding directed to saving "at risk" species in the kimberley and in areas ahead of the frontline.

20 million dollars since '86... wow, what an investment in our future.
that is f'ing pathetic when the you consider how much the govt has spent on other projects.
eg 300 million $ on bribing sadam hussiens regime to buy our wheat.

Jack if that complete lack of funding annoys you don't look at how much they spend per annum to conserve our threatened and endangered species...

I suspect that if they had spent 20 times that much that the current outcome would be much the same.

Well, that's just dandy! We're good at killing virtually everything else on the planet, but ....yep.....that's it....give in!

surrender_flag.gif

Cant wait to smack me some cane toads, never done it due to being a perth kid xD

haha, just jokes. dont get all crazy

im curious tho.
Are there groups up in qld (as the toads are in thir hundreds of thousands in qld) that are volunteer based that go out collecting cane toads?
As would it be one way of help reducing the breeding population if there was a group that help 2 nights a month to go out collecting cane toads and euthanise them?

im sure there would be a few people within each community that would be interested in doing this.?

I know this could only be like a drop of water in the ocean but, surely any collection would be better than none.

1 Female Toad can lay 35,000 eggs...... twice a year.... removing toads here and there in ideal habitat does little to depreciate their numbers as they have many more that will take their place. Suitable habitat and food intake would be the main factors limiting their numbers.

so if 1 collection night takes away say 4 females thats preventing another 280 000 toads from making it into the world. if this was done 2 nights a month for 1 year, thats preventing 6,720,000 toads a year from making it into the world....

Yes, but the majority of young toads are only food for bigger toads, take the bigger toads and the young ones will take their place, you can't win either way... unless you fence off an area and remove EVERY toad.

20 million dollars since '86... wow, what an investment in our future.
that is f'ing pathetic when the you consider how much the govt has spent on other projects.
eg 300 million $ on bribing sadam hussiens regime to buy our wheat.

I am Jacks complete lack of suprise! (Fight Club) hehehe

or...

I am Jacks complete lack of funding :p

im curious tho.
Are there groups up in qld (as the toads are in thir hundreds of thousands in qld) that are volunteer based that go out collecting cane toads?
As would it be one way of help reducing the breeding population if there was a group that help 2 nights a month to go out collecting cane toads and euthanise them?

im sure there would be a few people within each community that would be interested in doing this.?

I know this could only be like a drop of water in the ocean but, surely any collection would be better than none.

I know that Member for Dalrymple, Shane Knuth, is all for the removal of Toads & he hinted that you can also practise Cricket with them too. Lol. I have a fish pond & regularly remove the eggs or tadpoles if I missed the eggs.

And as for the toads- well I try to kill them any way that I can- car, dettol, salt, freezer- whatever I can use. I HATE them & I HATE what they are doing to our environment & our native animals. My brother is just as effective in the NT, but if EVERYONE go off their backsides & DID something rather than spoke about it... Well maybe they wouldn't have gotten as far.

Flame away, but I think the sight of a big BHP, or Goanna in the wild is SO much better than a Cane Toad.

Yes, but the majority of young toads are only food for bigger toads, take the bigger toads and the young ones will take their place, you can't win either way... unless you fence off an area and remove EVERY toad.

So its a bit of a catch 22 then.
If you take the bigger ones you stop them breeding the XX amount of babies, but in doing so you are letting the YY amount of babies that would have normally been eating by the large ones get ahead, and the cycle begins.....

Unless we discover a disease that will effect nothing but Cane Toads, they are here for good. For those saying why don't us Queenslanders get out and kill them, if you have been here you would know it's completely pointless. Even if we had the whole population go out each night, we couldn't get every single one, and look at how many toads we started off with, it would only take a few hundred to get them up and going in no time.

So its a bit of a catch 22 then.
If you take the bigger ones you stop them breeding the XX amount of babies, but in doing so you are letting the YY amount of babies that would have normally been eating by the large ones get ahead, and the cycle begins.....

I don't think so The_S_Word... If you removed all, not just a size... Then it should be pure area again, until more move in. That is where the problem would lie. It is getting areas clear & keeping them clear. Toads like wet/lit areas (moths gather) and pet food... Maybe if the Federal or State government would put a bounty on them (like they do with Pigs, Cats & Dogs) then it might make more incentive for people to be active.

I cannot agree more with the concept of a bounty. Sure, it's not in any way a permanent solution, but it might buy some time for one to be found. And in new populations, it might just wipe them out entirely and stop their advance (at least for a while).

It could also have one other major benefit. It might get our increasingly obese youth away from their Playstations and engaging in some outdoors physical activity. Win / win, the way I see it ...

so if 1 collection night takes away say 4 females thats preventing another 280 000 toads from making it into the world. if this was done 2 nights a month for 1 year, thats preventing 6,720,000 toads a year from making it into the world....

And thats what we should of been doing 30 years ago..1 night a week...4 nights a month imo.i remember my parents and their friends wondering why the government wasn't asking for public assistance and that was 1975!..imagine if we had been doing it since then..the wildlife that would of been saved..due to the fact that these toads are toxic from conception to death means we cannot rely on nature to do it's bit..they are just to toxic.. we as a people need to step in and help our wildlife. ;) matches are over there for the flamers.:rolleyes:

how about we introduce their natural predator from their native land.....that should fix it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back