Sales being bartered?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KatshirT

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am looking or some of the larger breeders i.e. that have more than 3 types of reptiles for sale at any one time, to answer me this....

Since this thread (http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/reptile-sale-slump-129479y ) have you noticed an increase in people asking about your sales and offering well under your marked price and also under the 'standard' asking price?

Standard asking price being an average of the marked sale prices on this site.

In particular has anyone had some very abrupt and quite colourful responses when you reply with, 'thats well under my price' or 'hatchies sell for more'?

Thanks,

only last week i was offered $200 for a pair of adult palmerston jungles........there has been a large drop in prices.

i think to many young kids are getting into this hobby thinking they can make fat cash so they think they can buy cheap but when it comes to them selling (if they can even get there rep to breed) they want top $$$

Katshir, I disagree with you that the prices on THIS site are the standard. What makes you think that?
Each breeder has got their own prices that reflect (or should reflect) the quality of their animals and their financial situation (desperados must sell quickly). Don't take notice of bludgers wanting to offer you less that what you value your animals, they are desperados too.

Ive sold the ones I've had up for sale so far (Julattens and SXR line jungles) pretty easily at the prices I asked..
and have since been taking orders for 2010 season for these..

Katshir, I disagree with you that the prices on THIS site are the standard. What makes you think that?
Each breeder has got their own prices that reflect (or should reflect) the quality of their animals and their financial situation (desperados must sell quickly). Don't take notice of bludgers wanting to offer you less that what you value your animals, they are desperados too.

i totally agree if people want quality they are willing to pay for it i no i do

I have sold all my animals at the standard or above standard price expected. My animals are mostly top end animals (RP's, albinos) and were quite easy to sell without resorting to advertising on the various for sale sites. Like Colin, I too am taking orders for next season already.

Its a matter of quality, not quantity.

Quality animals in small amounts will sell for good value.

Large quantities of average or below average animals wont sell.

As Waterrat said, anyone wishing to barter or talk down prices on quality animals are simply ignored.

The reason I stated that prices advertised on this site (or any other) do not represent any standard is because only about 10% of reptile keepers frequent forums and out of that only small % advertise on them. Most reptiles are sold by word of mouth, recommendations, personal web sites etc., not through advertising. As Barramundi said, quality is the key word and you can never assess quality from an ad on forum. I only advertise for the "awareness / exposure" effect, I don't make sales through ads.

Bartering is trading, not haggling or pestering a seller to reduce their price.

As mentioned many snakes arnt worth very much, especially poor quality specimens. IMO many snakes have virtually reached the point where they should be free. Who wants to buy poor quality adults or breeding pairs that are being sold because the owner realises they arnt going to be able to sell their offspring easily or at all?

I reflected prices to THIS site as it is this site that I am posting this on.

As mentioned, the majority of sales are through word of mouth, Google and friends/aquaintances.. This I understand (may I just add that I really do enjoy the underminning that is given on this site, presumptions will always be wrong!), My question was simply has anyone had people contact regarding reptiles they have for sale only to offer much lower than the price quoted in the ad?

I did not ask for a lesson on how the reptile industry works i.e. supply and demand or quality of the animal, parents or the sellers reputation.

So I'll ask again, Has anyone who breeds more than 3 species of reptile this season been haggled on the price they have quoted, be it via a for sale ad on here, AHC, Herpshop, Tradingpost, PetLink, Petpages, Personal Websites, Newspaper ads or NoticeBoards etc..

And Yes, I will stand corrected that the Title would have been better if phrased 'Sales being Haggled', Thanks Cris

whats wrong with people haggling?

i haggle, im shockong for it (or so my gf ses) but hey if you dont ask you dont get and theres no harm in asking. obviously you cant ask stupidly low prices on things but can always try knock them down a bit

I beg to differ on this statement for certain reptiles, i think the supply has caught the demand making it harder. As far as quality i have seen some massive breeders drop prices to get things out, imo they are adjusting to the change each year.

Well in the SHORT time i have been using this forum I only seen drastic drops in prices when they REALLY need to make room , they have one left and just to get rid of it or they just havent sold, IMO.
Generally I look for someone who sells above the "average" price what ever that means, then wait a while till they drop because of the above reasons.

i got no problem with people haggling but i saw this when breeding American Staffordshire terriers that some people are outright rude when they dont get what they want for the price they want to pay....
i had a guy ask to swap me a bike for a pup...
thats not bartering...thats wanting something for nothing...he prob stole the bike anyway

i think to many young kids are getting into this hobby thinking they can make fat cash so they think they can buy cheap but when it comes to them selling (if they can even get there rep to breed) they want top $$$

I pay top dollar for all my reptiles. i think the more expensive the better quality

I've bought pythons of top quality, healthy and of pure pedigree for very reasonable prices. I've also paid top dollar for quality specimens too. If you look around and if the right specimen/s come along at the right time, you needn't pay an exorbitant amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back