Dun dun daaaaaaa! Another dog ranting thread (yay!)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMY22

Reaction score
Amy mad. And I mean really mad. The kind of mad where you want to punch someone in the face but you can't because APS doesn’t allow anyone to promote violence (I in no way endorse the action of physically punching someone in the face). For you see my dear herpers and fellow critter enthusiasts, I am rather tired of ‘uninformed’ owners. Ah, but this is not about me walking down the street and being chased by a vicious dog that was THIS big, this is about people I know who are just clueless.

Over recent months I have seen one or two friends trying to sell off some puppies or kittens their pet has had over Facebook (well their pet didn’t HAVE puppies and kittens over Facebook silly, they just wanted to sell them over Facebook. No the PET didn’t want to sell them, the owner did. Sheesh...) Then comes the rant that nobody wants them and unless people take them they're heading to the RSPCA to dump them there. I can't help but notice that these owners do not vaccinate, worm, or desex them before attempting to give them away. Nor do they think about who is actually going to buy these critters before they even breed their pets anyway. ‘Let's just make some kittens and puppies. People LIKE kittens and puppies, especially when they aren't wormed, desexed and have no vaccinations. Mmmm... Roundworm...’

One person blamed the RSPCA for the fact her puppies (except one) died of Parvo. Because of course it's THEIR fault for not vaccinating these puppies, it's THIER fault for the fact this person know Parvo was in the area they lived. I tried in vain to tell this person to vaccinate these dogs, but nope. Apparently it is the responsibility of the new owner to get those things done. Now where are they? Buried in the backyard.
Then a few days ago she got her other dogs taken by the RSPCA because someone complained. They were a bit thin, but apparently their diet was fine- Chum, rice, bread and gravy... Someone told this person that the bread and gravy was a good way to make them put on weight... They must have been so enthusiastic about giving them THIS piece of advice that they forgot to mention the fact bread and gravy, as wonderfully delicious as it sounds, provides very little in regards to nutritional requirements.

The same as another friend who was furious that nobody wanted her kittens. This person was pregnant and had all these cats running around and kitty litter trays everywhere, I had 2 friends at my house concerned and asking me what the dangers were. I told them toxoplasmosis was obviously a risk, which of course made them worry more. Then when she was fed up she wanted the kittens gone, if nobody took them, again- straight to the RSPCA. I tried to give her a helping hand to find some responsible owners, but she said they had to drive all the way down to her house that night (by this time it was about 10pm). She then decided to keep them a bit longer until people took them, and since then I have no idea what has happened...

The other thing that bugs me- dog training. One of my biggest peeves is a dog with no manners and an owner who genuinely thinks their dog is well trained. If your dog jumps up on people continuously even after being told no- that is not well trained. If your dog takes off down the street when it sees another dog (don't we all just love a strange dog thundering towards us with the owner frantically running after them?, It sure gives me peace of mind...) and your dog will not come back when you call it- that is not well trained. If you have to tell your dog 10 times to sit before it actually does- that is not well trained.
One friend of mind gets frustrated at me when I will not say hello to her super amazingly well trained dog. Feel free to mock me, but I just cannot find pleasure in being knocked over and scratched up by a dog built like a tank.
I really cannot fathom how people think that a dog that doesn't listen is regarded as well trained. not only that, but this particular person thinks that a necessary behavioural correction is to hit her dog when he doesn't listen. Why, I here you ask? Well because some dogs NEED to be hit of course. I could completely concur, there certainly ARE some dogs out there that need a bit of a smacky on the tush, they just aren't of the furred variety...

I do really question where people come up with some theories on pet care (today I finally received the question, do I smack my snake when he bites me... There is a POSIBILITY they were joking...). I don’t think a lot of these owners are terrible people, there is just some very dodgy information out there where you have to trust what you are told, you know, like on forums and stuff... So it’s no surprise people are a bit iffy on their knowledge. It’s only when they become stubborn about receiving different advice that things can get a little difficult.

In conclusion...

There are some very clueless people out there. Although I try very hard not to be nasty. Even when they are getting investigated by the RSPCA and plan to take their story to Today Tonight if they don’t get their dogs back, despite the fact it is beyond obvious this person has no idea.
Although I might be snide behind someone’s back, I do like to pretend to be nice to their face so that they don’t feel bad and continue to be my friend (okay, I lie, I am a genuinely nice person overall and would have no reason to go onto a website to tell everybody about how bad someone is as an owner). I do think that a message is better sent when you are caring about the way you approach the situation, as I’ve argued in past threads (before someone decides to point it out, yes I know arguing about being nice kind of contradicts itself). Nobody is going to listen when you are just a big old meany about it. But how do you get the message across so they listen? What would be a great way to have more owners take responsibility? How do you get such a message across?
It is my personal belief that anybody who decides to obtain a doggy or a kitty by means of purchasing them with the exchanging of money (or if someone is just a very nice person and gives you a critter for free, how lovely of them!), they should receive either a proper manual on how to care for their pet (not a 2 page photocopy), OR get some classes on dog care at the very least offered to them. I do believe there should be more education (such as the work of the Delta Society), so that the message gets across. Far fetched (excuse the pun) maybe, but when you think about it, who REALLY needs the training?

I'm AMY22, thankyou and goodnight. :p

This thread was brought to you today but the letter H, and the number 6.

P.S. none of this thread is directed at anyone who has sent me a PM asking for advice, a responsible owner will look for help instead of ignoring the situation.

I had no idea I'd written SOOO much. I swear I only wrote half that amount...

Well now that you mention it, I did actually delete a few paragraphs...

To anyone who didn't manage to survive to the end of my ranting I send my condolences.

Last edited:
I agree, with all of your comments. There are far too many uncaring or simply naive pet owners out there, and they're far too complacent! Having a pet is a big responsibility and you need to make sure you're doing everything right, by the pet and by the public!

Dogs and cats, in my opinion, should be sold desexed, microchipped, wormed and with their first vaccination at least. There are far too many pets in shelters due to idiotic, uncaring and irresponsible owners who DON'T get their pets desexed, or who deliberately breed them "just to get cute kittens and puppies", because "the animals won't be 'right' if they've never had any offspring (my neighbor thought this, with her male + female Maltese's) , or "it'll be good for the kids to watch and learn" or some other pathetic excuse. Also, impulse buying- stop selling pets in stores, where the kids or mummy/daddy see a cute bundle of fluff, take it home, and it grows into a large young, boisterous dog with no training, where it is then taken to a pound or animal shelter!

Trying to teach pets by 'hitting' etc is NOT the best way, and it really ****** me off when you see an owner yelling and hitting a dog because its 'done something wrong.' And then if ever that dog gets irritated and growls, they get hit more, and eventually the dog bites- its now a "dangerous and aggressive dog" and is euthanised. Was it the dogs fault? not at all- it tolerated the human, gave a warning, and then resorted to biting to get the message across.

Just look at the number of animals taken into vet clinics to be euthanised due to behavioural issues- train your pets people, and you won't have issues! I'm sick of people treating pets as being disposable when they're no longer convenient, training incorrectly, feeding crap diets, letting them wander the streets etc....

sorry if that didn't make sense- a rant with a migraine may not come out clearly

I agree, with all of your comments. There are far too many uncaring or simply naive pet owners out there, and they're far too complacent! Having a pet is a big responsibility and you need to make sure you're doing everything right, by the pet and by the public!

Dogs and cats, in my opinion, should be sold desexed, microchipped, wormed and with their first vaccination at least. There are far too many pets in shelters due to idiotic, uncaring and irresponsible owners who DON'T get their pets desexed, or who deliberately breed them "just to get cute kittens and puppies", because "the animals won't be 'right' if they've never had any offspring (my neighbor thought this, with her male + female Maltese's) , or "it'll be good for the kids to watch and learn" or some other pathetic excuse. Also, impulse buying- stop selling pets in stores, where the kids or mummy/daddy see a cute bundle of fluff, take it home, and it grows into a large young, boisterous dog with no training, where it is then taken to a pound or animal shelter!

Trying to teach pets by 'hitting' etc is NOT the best way, and it really ****** me off when you see an owner yelling and hitting a dog because its 'done something wrong.' And then if ever that dog gets irritated and growls, they get hit more, and eventually the dog bites- its now a "dangerous and aggressive dog" and is euthanised. Was it the dogs fault? not at all- it tolerated the human, gave a warning, and then resorted to biting to get the message across.

Just look at the number of animals taken into vet clinics to be euthanised due to behavioural issues- train your pets people, and you won't have issues! I'm sick of people treating pets as being disposable when they're no longer convenient, training incorrectly, feeding crap diets, letting them wander the streets etc....

sorry if that didn't make sense- a rant with a migraine may not come out clearly

No your rant makes sense (and isn't 50 paragraphs long).

I've seen someone with their dog and their kid at a park once and the dog did something (unintentional), so the owner grabbed the dog by the face and started shaking it's head yelling at it, of course in full view of their child. Of course I was ready to march over and sort this guy out, but when there's a little tacker there no more than 5 years old...

Its often quite difficult trying to deal with some idiots. I always used to be incredibly shy, but the only time I would get really riled up and 'fearless' was when someone was endangering, harassing or hurting an animal. (note; I'm still shy, but not AS bad lol). And when you do something like you just described (yelling at the dog in front of the child), its no wonder that the problem is persisting- a kid see's daddy thump the dog and yell/swear etc, so the kid grows up doing the same. "Dad did it when I was little, and it always 'worked' [yeah right'] so its how I'll do it!"

I just wish people would make the effort to learn the best way to care for their pets, how to train them, basic nutritional information etc. I mean, really, its not that hard!

Make the effort or don't get a pet- that simple.

Doesn't pavo stick around in the environment for ages? (from what I've heard) and vaccinating only helps, they can still get it, just not as bad... SO if I've heard right and it DOES stick around, this person possibly has a parvo problem and shouldn't breed for a while. better yet, just desex your pets, it's better for them and less baby animals end up in the pound and RSPCA!

Don't like having to sell pups/kittens? spay! problem solved

Doesn't pavo stick around in the environment for ages? (from what I've heard) and vaccinating only helps, they can still get it, just not as bad... SO if I've heard right and it DOES stick around, this person possibly has a parvo problem and shouldn't breed for a while. better yet, just desex your pets, it's better for them and less baby animals end up in the pound and RSPCA!

Don't like having to sell pups/kittens? spay! problem solved

Yeah Parvo does stick around, it's incredibly contagious (hence the reason the RSPCA wouldn't take the puppies from her). Puppies are especially prone to death as a result of contracting it, so they need to get a vaccination, as well as the parents . She actually had a litter of puppies die before from Parvo, and she also said that she knows Parvo is in the area she lives.

Oh AMY22, I SO agree with you!

I think there should be more checks and balances when it comes to owning a pet.....any pet.
Make them do a course or 6 before they can own anything. Prove they are responsible.

But then, I think the same about people having children.....which is a whole other thread, and don't get me started ;)

And I quote-

''I know I haven't done anything to be a irresponsible dog owner.''

''If I have to get them desexed, microchipped, and vaccinated and all I will. I do know I will have to register them too. ''

''I will have my written letters from friends and family as well as recent photos and old 1's so they can see what my dogs usually look like and when they (the RSPCA) picked them up isn't even half the weight they r in photos so I have a strong case I think.''

:shock:

Are they quotes from the person who had their dogs taken? They're kidding themselves, seriously! nothing irresponsible? if I HAVE to get them desexed etc? bloody hell, you should have had it done BEFORE and actually done a tiny bit of research to keep them healthy to start with!

How can people be so idiotic and ignorant, ALL the time?!

Yeah they are quotes from ONE of the messages we have been sending back ad forth. I've been trying very hard not to be nasty while giving them the facts about what they have done wrong and the real case against them. Another thing they've done wrong is owning more dogs than allowed.

This is someone I used to go to school with, she is one of my friend's sisters and we are friends on Facebook now. I don't actually see this person anymore. I just saw their comments that they wanted their dogs back and asked what had happened.

hahah i red all of that in like 5 mins.... (NERD :D)
i agree, for the instance about non trained dogs i had a inccident with one today. Me and my friend were like riding at the local pet store and there was this border collie with these kids. The dog continuely pulled them around the car park (controlled dog much?) which was next to a busy main road and there were cars EVERYWHERE. The dog then dragged the kids towards me, and the dog litrally JUMPED on me so hard it knocked me over. If you've never seen a flying dog i think i saw one today :|. for one the kids didn't even say sorry, and the dog just jumped and licked me all over and they didn't even bother to restrain the dog and pull it off me. The second thing that happened the dog slipped its collar and ran onto the main road (shock).......!!!! this 4X4 came racing around the corner and just missed the dog and spun off the road onto the on coming traffic, luckily he drove off in time to be not hit by the on coming cars. The kids were in shock, i was in shock, and the poor dog.... well he is peeing himself. They finally caught him and took him back to their mum who was just standing there like nothing happened and i went up to the kids and said...
"Dude you really need to control your dog!!! what would happen if it got hit by that car, or worse the car hit someone else, that dog of yours is seriously a ticking time bomb, he'd be a much more pleasurable dog if he was trained.
response:
"Our dog is perfectly fine, and if he was well trained he wouldn't be the same dog he is, and nobody got hurt so what has it got to do with you?"
I really just dont understand, if people loved there animals so much they would try and help them all they cud :(

I survived the whole rant, and completely agree with all that has been said.

Pet owners, by which i mean dog and cat owners, need to take more responsibility.

Pet shops should only be alowed to sell dogs and cats that have been desexed, pretty sure the RSPCA has to desex the animals before they get re-homed, so the other sellers should be aswell.

I also believe puppy training should be mandatory, I'm working as a delivery driver and have been bitten twice (not broken skin but still) by dogs the owners said are "well trained" just seconds ago as it came bounding out towards be barking its head off.

And as for cats I won't go any further into it then; they shouldn't be alowed free reign of the street, and especialy it shouldn't be alowed for them to be outside at night.

Back to you Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back